Luna Books Fantasy

  • Sheila
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 27, 2005
      OK I have to express a strong opinion here. I am an avid fan of
      fantasy as everyone knows. As such, I do not fit the typical reader
      profile- I am usually the only female in the Sci Fi/Fantasy section of
      the book store. I am not a fan of romance novels for several reasons.

      Well Luna books has decided to capture the female reader by creating a
      line of Fantasy/Romance novels. I accidently bought a couple and was
      horrified by what I read. The books take the cookie cutter LOTR plot
      and twist it around the typical romance novel. In other words, churn
      out the same story over and over each month.

      I don't feel that this type of books adds anything to the genre.
      Matter of fact, I feel that it detracts from the true purpose of
      fantasy, and wish these books were not sold in the fantasy section.

      Has anyone else seen these books? What are your views on them? Does
      anyone believe differently?

      Thanks,
      Sheila
    • karl barnes
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 27, 2005
        They've been heavily advertized in Realms of Fantasy magazine. They looked and sounded very derivative.

        Sheila <sheila@...> wrote:OK I have to express a strong opinion here. I am an avid fan of
[...]

      • Gloria & John Oliver
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 2005
          I haven't read any of them but had heard about the imprint. A lot of the
          lines are blurring, and from what I have heard from other sources there are
          romance writers who say they writer fantasy/sci-fi romance who really don't
          know the genre. On the same token, I am sure there are some out there who
          do. Seems the issue might be the publisher for not being pickier. :-(

          Gloria

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 28, 2005
            I've picked up a couple of them--Sun Witch and Moon Witch--but they're
            pretty far down on my "to be read" list. Before I saw them at the
            bookstore, I had never seen the Luna imprint before... A couple days
            ago, I looked at the ads in the back of the books, and that was when I
            realized that they were probably going to be more romance than
            fantasy. -_-;;

            I'll say more about them when I read them, but it might not be in the
            near future. Think more in the a-little-more-far-off future.
            --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Sheila" <sheila@m...> wrote:
            > OK I have to express a strong opinion here. I am an avid fan of
            > fantasy as everyone knows. As such, I do not fit the typical reader
            > profile- I am usually the only female in the Sci Fi/Fantasy section of
            > the book store. I am not a fan of romance novels for several reasons.
            >
            > Well Luna books has decided to capture the female reader by creating a
            > line of Fantasy/Romance novels. I accidently bought a couple and was
            > horrified by what I read. The books take the cookie cutter LOTR plot
            > and twist it around the typical romance novel. In other words, churn
            > out the same story over and over each month.
            >
            > I don't feel that this type of books adds anything to the genre.
            > Matter of fact, I feel that it detracts from the true purpose of
            > fantasy, and wish these books were not sold in the fantasy section.
            >
            > Has anyone else seen these books? What are your views on them? Does
            > anyone believe differently?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Sheila
          • Sheila
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 28, 2005
              That's what I found was that most of the authors are romance writers
              who are crossing over. Trying to capture us females that are just
              salivating over descriptions of love, etc. LOL. I did read a couple of
              the books, and they were more romance than fantasy oriented. But then
              I see Catherine Asaro's first foray into all-out fantasy is under Luna
              books - so maybe it will bring more readers in, which won't be bad.
              More readers = more books published - I hope.

              Sheila
            • Ken Ogilvy
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 29, 2005
                --- Sheila <sheila@...> wrote:
                > I see Catherine Asaro's first foray into all-out
                > fantasy is under Luna
                > books - so maybe it will bring more readers in,
                > which won't be bad.
                > More readers = more books published - I hope.
                >
                > Sheila

                I beleive Michelle West's latest, under the pen name
                Michelle Sagara, is under the Luna Imprint.

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • sisimka
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
                  Mercedes Lackey has published at least one title under this imprint,
                  called The Fairy Godmother. I quite enjoyed the title as a more
                  light-hearted fantasy with a familiar plot line and suggested
                  romance all combined with Lackey's known literary talent.

                  It seems she has taken a step further and is about to publish a
                  title for Harlequin called One Good Knight.

                  I think for some, this is a logical step. For those of you who
                  don't know, the most popular themes of romantic novels are
                  historical or quasi-historical settings. Romance in modern times
                  just isn't as... romantic? Therefore, to set a romance plot into a
                  fantasy world seems as natural as peanut butter and jelly.

                  Not all of us like our sci-fi hard and our fantasy thick with epic
                  battles, some of us like a little human interest too.

                  However, that being said, I'm sure, like most genres, there is going
                  to be a lot of books that shouldn't have been published and we'll
                  find ourselves wondering why...

                  In general, I think it's an opportunity for fantasy readers to find
                  more romance and romance readers to broaden their horizons.

                  It's a good thing! (Remember, you don't have to read it. :) )