War of the Worlds and Batman Begins

  • Marilyn Peake
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
      Hi, everyone,

      I went to the movie theater tonight, and saw both "War of the Worlds"
      and "Batman Begins". All I can say about both movies is: WOW! "War
      of the Worlds" was so much more than I had expected. It was,
      finally, a movie in which the special effects were truly in service
      of the movie itself. Both movies had a lot to say about the human
      condition, and accomplished this exquisitely, I thought.

      Best Wishes,
      Marilyn

      ~~ Drink deeply by land or sea. Earth comes only once.~~
      From THE FISHERMAN'S SON Trilogy
      http://www.marilynpeake.com
      http://www.thefishermansson.com

      From PIERS ANTHONY, best-selling, award-winning science fiction and
      fantasy author:
      "Now I have read The Fisherman's Son. This is a nice children's
      fantasy, grounded in realism."

      From JAMES A. COX, Editor-in-Chief of the MIDWEST BOOK REVIEW:
      "The Fisherman's Son is a delightful and colorfully narrated tale
      which documents Marilyn Peake as a story teller of considerable
      narrative skill."
    • NewMoonOccultShop.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
        At 07:46 02/07/2005 -0000, you wrote:
        >Hi, everyone,
        >
        >I went to the movie theater tonight, and saw both "War of the Worlds"
        >and "Batman Begins". All I can say about both movies is: WOW! "War
        >of the Worlds" was so much more than I had expected. It was,
        >finally, a movie in which the special effects were truly in service
        >of the movie itself. Both movies had a lot to say about the human
        >condition, and accomplished this exquisitely, I thought.
        >
        >Best Wishes,
        >Marilyn

        I saw "Batman Begins" and though it a little long and drawn out and really
        just setting it up for more movies.

        I haven't seem War of the Worlds yet but hubby has reservations - has
        anyone else here seen WOTW yet?

        Judith Lewis
        Please visit the shop I run with my hubby
        http://www.NewMoonOccultShop.com/
      • Jennifer
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
          We saw Batman Begins the first week it was out and LOVED it. Awesome movie. Much darker than the rest, illustrates nicely how Batman evolved and Christian Bale was excellent.

          Hubby and I went to see WotW yesterday. I enjoyed it, but I didnt think it was great. The special effects were fun and there were some interesting shots, but I found most of the movie kept reminding me of other movies, having a very strong feel or look similar to another movie I had seen. None of it felt original in the least. I kept wanting to have another screen running next to it so I could compare shots from wotw with shots from movies A, B, C, D, or E. I have the feeling some shots would be nearly identacle. I enjoyed the characters, but hubby felt they did little more acting that gasping every few moments. Hubby was also really annoyed that so much was left unexplained in the movie and how many things were just handed out like "oh, here it is".

          Not really sure if this is a spoiler, but I wanted to be cautious...anyways, I thought little more happened in the movie than what was shown in the previews. I still think it was an ok movie, but I also feel like I just watched the preview extended to 2+ hours. LOL.

          Jennifer

        • Marilyn Peake
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
            Hi, Jennifer,

            I think I liked the War of the Worlds movie so much because it was
            based on a radio show from a much more innocent time than today, a
            time in which people actually committed suicide out of fear that we
            were being invaded by aliens. I thought the movie contained the same
            type of basic sci fi story as the radio show, a simple story about
            Martians invading earth; but was ratcheted up quite a few notches in
            the tech department to meet modern standards. :) I thought that
            Spielberg did an excellent job of blending an old-fashioned sci-fi
            story with modern technology.

            Cheers,
            Marilyn

            ~~ Drink deeply by land or sea. Earth comes only once.~~
            From THE FISHERMAN'S SON Trilogy
            http://www.marilynpeake.com
            http://www.thefishermansson.com

            From PIERS ANTHONY, best-selling, award-winning science fiction and
            fantasy author:
            "Now I have read The Fisherman's Son. This is a nice children's
            fantasy, grounded in realism."

            From JAMES A. COX, Editor-in-Chief of the MIDWEST BOOK REVIEW:

            --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer" <jen@e...> wrote:

            >> Hubby and I went to see WotW yesterday. I enjoyed it, but I didnt
            think it was great. The special effects were fun and there were some
            interesting shots, but I found most of the movie kept reminding me of
            other movies, having a very strong feel or look similar to another
            movie I had seen.
          • Frank T
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
              --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Marilyn Peake"
              <marilynpeake@c...> wrote:
              > I think I liked the War of the Worlds movie so much because it was
              > based on a radio show from a much more innocent time than today,
              It's actually based on a book bg H G Wells, the same book used as the
              basis for Orson Welles radio adaptation.
              FrankT
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
                > --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Marilyn Peake"
                > <marilynpeake@c...> wrote:
                > > I think I liked the War of the Worlds movie so much because it was
                > > based on a radio show from a much more innocent time than today,

                > It's actually based on a book bg H G Wells, the same book used as the
                > basis for Orson Welles radio adaptation.
                > FrankT

                No! No! Isn't the movie based on a musical album by Jeff Wayne which
                featured Richard Burton ? LOL

              • Marilyn Peake
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
                  Hi, Frank,

                  Absolutely, and the movie lists a credit to the book. I felt,
                  though, that the movie was developed, like the radio show, to
                  communicate the story through the latest technology available. I
                  found the following interesting statement at the link,
                  http://www.war-ofthe-worlds.co.uk/index.html :
                  "In essence however, those familiar with the book will find much to
                  recognise in the script, though as I have long suspected from
                  Spielberg's comments, this movie clearly owes as much to the Orson
                  Welles broadcast as it does the original novel. Spielberg bought an
                  original (and possibly only remaining copy) of the 1938 broadcast
                  script and one wonders if the New Jersey locations were an
                  intentional homage. Certainly the movie evokes the panic that Orson
                  Welles achieved that Halloween night."

                  Cheers,
                  Marilyn

                  ~~ Drink deeply by land or sea. Earth comes only once.~~
                  From THE FISHERMAN'S SON Trilogy
                  http://www.marilynpeake.com
                  http://www.thefishermansson.com

                  From PIERS ANTHONY, best-selling, award-winning science fiction and
                  fantasy author:
                  "Now I have read The Fisherman's Son. This is a nice children's
                  fantasy, grounded in realism."

                  From JAMES A. COX, Editor-in-Chief of the MIDWEST BOOK REVIEW:

                  --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Frank T" <XTONTOX@a...> wrote:

                  >> It's actually based on a book bg H G Wells, the same book used as
                  the basis for Orson Welles radio adaptation.
                  >> FrankT
                • Gloria & John Oliver
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 5, 2005
                    War of the Worlds is AWESOME! It totally rocked. If you are acquainted
                    with either the book or the movie from the 50's-60's you will utterly LOVE
                    it!

                    Gloria
                    >I went to the movie theater tonight, and saw both "War of the Worlds"
                    >and "Batman Begins". All I can say about both movies is: WOW! "War
                    >of the Worlds" was so much more than I had expected. It was,
                    >finally, a movie in which the special effects were truly in service
                    >of the movie itself. Both movies had a lot to say about the human
                    >condition, and accomplished this exquisitely, I thought.
                    >
                    >Best Wishes,
                    >Marilyn

                    I saw "Batman Begins" and though it a little long and drawn out and really
                    just setting it up for more movies.

                    I haven't seem War of the Worlds yet but hubby has reservations - has
                    anyone else here seen WOTW yet?

                    Judith Lewis
                    Please visit the shop I run with my hubby
                    http://www.NewMoonOccultShop.com/

                    Service.

                  • Gloria & John Oliver
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 5, 2005
                      I love the musical for WOTW with Richard Burton! that rocked too!