Re: What should I read?!?

  • Shiloh
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 1, 2005
      Kushiel's Dart is a good series. If you're not opposed to sci-fi,
      the Otherland books by Tad Williams are pretty good as well. Melanie
      Rawn's Dragon Prince and Dragon Star are my other recommendations,
      and they might be better because they're purely fantasy with no
      elves, but they do have dragons in them. Another series is Robert
      Jordan's Wheel of Time (first book is The Eye of the World), but it
      has a lot of action in it and it's really long--none of the books is
      under 700 pages.
      Just my thoughts, take or leave 'em.
      --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "volkerthemadfiddler"

      <mashepardson@m...> wrote:

      > > I have been away from Fantasy for a long time, measured in
      decades
      > > not years, and I'm interested in getting back into it. I
      enjoyed the
      > > Lord of the Rings but I would like to avoid 'copycat' books with
      > > elves, dwarves, etc. I'm currently reading George R R Martin's
      > > series and LOVE IT! Unfortunately, I'll soon be through it :-(
      > >
      > > I prefer good writing, character development and plotting to
      sword &
      > > sorcery action. Actually, the action tends to turn me off but I
      love
      > > suspense.
      > >
      > > I've been lurking for a while and I'm tempted by Kushiel's Dart
      but I
      > > decided I'd take suggestions before I embark on another mammoth
      > > series.
      > >
      > You could try Tad William's "Memory, Sorrow and Thorne"- the first
      > book is called "The Dragonbone Chair" IIRC.
      >
      > Volker the Mad Fiddler [aka Garett Kutcher]
    • Frank T
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 2, 2005
        I quit this series half way through the third book because nothing had
        happened for over 300 pages. Absolutely nothing moved the story
        forward.
        FrankT
        --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Shiloh" <dragon_queen1818@y...>
        wrote:
        Another series is Robert
        > Jordan's Wheel of Time (first book is The Eye of the World), but it
        > has a lot of action in it and it's really long--none of the books is
        under 700 pages.
        > Just my thoughts, take or leave 'em.
      • Jane Gray
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 2, 2005
          I read the first six in as many months, as was enjoying them. But had to
          wait for book seven to be published. That was my downfall. I was just unable
          to pick up the multipe story threads. Jordan avoids the annoying habit of
          continually recovering back story. Annoying that is when you are reading a
          series all in one go, but rather useful when picking one up after a break.
          How many books are there in the series now? And is it finished yet? Not sure
          I can afford the time it would take to reread the first six and can on with
          the series to the end.

          But I did enjoy the first six that I did read.

          Jane

          wrote:
          Another series is Robert
          > Jordan's Wheel of Time (first book is The Eye of the World), but it
          > has a lot of action in it and it's really long--none of the books is
          under 700 pages.
          > Just my thoughts, take or leave 'em.

          ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In
          low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers.
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/DtIolB/TM
        • eelloxx
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 2, 2005
            Pick up The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling. One of the best I
            have ever read. It is a very original story with great indepth
            characters. You won't be able to put it down. I my self am about half
            through Clash of Kings by Martin and I'm loving the series. He is a
            fantastic writer.

          • william@wmarnoch.freeserve.co.uk
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 2, 2005
              On 2 Apr 2005 at 19:53, Jane Gray wrote:

              > I read the first six in as many months, as was enjoying them. But had to
              > wait for book seven to be published. That was my downfall. I was just unable
              > to pick up the multipe story threads. Jordan avoids the annoying habit of
              > continually recovering back story. Annoying that is when you are reading a
              > series all in one go, but rather useful when picking one up after a break.
              > How many books are there in the series now?

              There are currently 10 books in the series, with the 11th allegedly being published later
              this year.

              > And is it finished yet?

              There's a line in Robert Jordan's biography in the back of some of the books that says
              he "intends to keep writing until they nail shut his coffin." I have a horrible suspicion that
              when that happens he'll still desperately be trying to finish the Wheel of Time.

              "no" is the shorter answer to your question.

              > Not sure
              > I can afford the time it would take to reread the first six and can on with
              > the series to the end.

              I'd probably advise waiting until the series is finished (if ever) since the recent books
              have rarely advanced the plot much.

              > But I did enjoy the first six that I did read.

              I have to admit I do still enjoy the Wheel Of Time books, but I've got a bit exasparated at
              the glacial rate of progress in the story.

              --
              William Marnoch
              william@...
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 2, 2005
                --- Jane Gray <hippygoth@...> wrote:
                > I read the first six in as many months, as was
                > enjoying them. But had to
                > wait for book seven to be published. That was my
                > downfall. I was just unable
                > to pick up the multipe story threads.

                Same here. I started reading this series when the
                Great Hunt was published originally. By the time book
                7 came out I had forgotten quite a few plot lines. I
                did reread the first 7 books and timed it with the
                arrival of book 8. It made all the difference.
                Unfortunalty that was 5 years ago. I am sticking with
                the series but when I am guaranteeed that the last
                book is soon to be published I will go back to reread
                them once again.

                If I knew then what I know now I would have just
                bought them and waited till they were all published
                and read them then.

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 2, 2005
                  --- william@... wrote:

                  > > And is it finished yet?
                  >
                  > There's a line in Robert Jordan's biography in the
                  > back of some of the books that says
                  > he "intends to keep writing until they nail shut his
                  > coffin." I have a horrible suspicion that
                  > when that happens he'll still desperately be trying
                  > to finish the Wheel of Time.

                  I have heard from wotmainia.com that Jordan that book
                  12 will end the series. I am crossing my fingers

                • william@wmarnoch.freeserve.co.uk
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 2, 2005
                    On 2 Apr 2005 at 14:57, Ken Ogilvy wrote:

                    > --- william@... wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > And is it finished yet?
                    > >
                    > > There's a line in Robert Jordan's biography in the
                    > > back of some of the books that says
                    > > he "intends to keep writing until they nail shut his
                    > > coffin." I have a horrible suspicion that
                    > > when that happens he'll still desperately be trying
                    > > to finish the Wheel of Time.
                    > >
                    > I have heard from wotmainia.com that Jordan that book
                    > 12 will end the series. I am crossing my fingers

                    Only one more book (after the one later this year)? I find that slightly hard to believe.

                    I suppose it might depend on how long the book is - maybe it'll be like Tad Williams's
                    fantasy trilogy "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn", which only gets to be a trilogy because
                    "Book 3" is over 1500 pages (and 2 volumes) long.

                    Still, it would be nice if it was true. Although, after all this time he'd better write a good
                    ending, otherwise some of his 'fans' might be tempted to put him in the "writing while
                    they nail shut his coffin" state prematurely.

                    --
                    William Marnoch
                    william@...
                    http://www.voidhawk.com/ - Film and Book Reviews
                  • volkerthemadfiddler
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 2, 2005
                      I gave up at about the same place but mostly because of the
                      characters. Everyone [save Lan, who disappeared for books at a time]
                      was a whiner, constantly bemoaning their fate[s] rather than trying to
                      do something about it. I prefer heroic heroes [like Theoden from the
                      LoTR movies 'If this is to be our end, I would have them make such an
                      end as to be worthy of remembrance' sort of thing].

                      Volker the Mad Fiddler

                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 2, 2005
                        --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, william@w... wrote:
                        SNIP
                        > Still, it would be nice if it was true. Although, after all this
                        time he'd better write a good
                        > ending, otherwise some of his 'fans' might be tempted to put him in
                        the "writing while
                        > they nail shut his coffin" state prematurely.

                        What I have found funny is the number of people who have laughed at me
                        re-reading REH's Conan books every couple of years while pointing to
                        their reading of Jordan as a sign of more advanced/mature tastes, when
                        Jordan early in his career wrote a Conan novel [which wasn't
                        especially good].

                        Volker the Mad Fiddler [still a REH fan at age 30 (almost)].
                      • Frank T
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 3, 2005
                          The big difference is REH can tell a story, and Jordan can only babble
                          on aboutnecklines.
                          FrankT
                          <garkutch@z...> wrote:
                          .

                          > What I have found funny is the number of people who have laughed at me
                          > re-reading REH's Conan books every couple of years while pointing to
                          > their reading of Jordan as a sign of more advanced/mature tastes, when
                          > Jordan early in his career wrote a Conan novel [which wasn't
                          > especially good].
                          >
                          > Volker the Mad Fiddler [still a REH fan at age 30 (almost)].
                        • Dave Donovan
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 4, 2005
                            Yeah, I agree about Jordan. His books are so long and drawn out that it feels like nothing is happening. I started this series only after he had written the first ten, and I thought that if a series is that long, it must have something everyone loves or else it wouldn't still be going. After reading the first two, I find myself not excited or even caring about the third. On to something else. Right now, I'm between fantasy books and reading Night in the Lonesome October by Richard Laymon and Last Things by David Searcy. After I finish those, I'll finally finish The Serpentwar Saga by Feist.

                            For Horror/SciFi/Fantasy movie, book, and music news and reviews click here
                            http://davesnewsandreviews.blogspot.com

                          • Ken Ogilvy
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 4, 2005
                              --- william@... wrote:

                              > Only one more book (after the one later this year)?
                              > I find that slightly hard to believe.

                              Agreed, when I read that i was thinking, Yah, sure.

                              > Still, it would be nice if it was true. Although,
                              > after all this time he'd better write a good
                              > ending, otherwise some of his 'fans' might be
                              > tempted to put him in the "writing while
                              > they nail shut his coffin" state prematurely.

                              I kinda think after "New Spring" was released there
                              was some outcry cause he said he wasn't going to
                              finish that Trilogy till he finishes the Wheel of
                              Time.
                              I also think that maybe Tor is pushing him to finish
                              it by Book 12 cause a 12 book series sounds more
                              palatable that a 13 or 14 books series.

                              Personally I think he can finish it in 2 books.

                            • Ken Ogilvy
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 4, 2005
                                --- volkerthemadfiddler <garkutch@...> wrote:

                                > What I have found funny is the number of people who
                                > have laughed at me
                                > re-reading REH's Conan books every couple of years
                                > while pointing to
                                > their reading of Jordan as a sign of more
                                > advanced/mature tastes, when
                                > Jordan early in his career wrote a Conan novel
                                > [which wasn't
                                > especially good].
                                >
                                > Volker the Mad Fiddler [still a REH fan at age 30
                                > (almost)].

                                I think Jordan wrote 3 Conan books.

                                Ken, still a REH fan at 37(or so)
                                I just picked up a couple of REH Conan books recently

                                Make Yahoo! your home page
                                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                              • Ken Ogilvy
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 4, 2005
                                  --- Dave Donovan <dave_donovan@...> wrote:
                                  >I started this series only after he had
                                  > written the first ten, and I thought that if a
                                  > series is that long, it must have something everyone
                                  > loves or else it wouldn't still be going. After
                                  > reading the first two, I find myself not excited or
                                  > even caring about the third.

                                  When I reread them 5 ot 6 years ago I realised that if
                                  I started the series now I probably would have never
                                  gotten through book one.
                                  The series does get better, then it gets bad, then
                                  better then bad.

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • Frank T
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 4, 2005
                                    --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Ken Ogilvy <kogilvy1@y...> wrote:

                                    > Personally I think he can finish it in 2 books.

                                    I think he could have finished it in two books total
                                    FrankT
                                  • Char
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 5, 2005
                                      I lost interest in this series about ... umm, book 8.I'd been reading it
                                      religiously until then. I started after he published book 3 I think, and
                                      waited with baited breath for every book after that, until after book 8.
                                    • william@wmarnoch.freeserve.co.uk
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 6, 2005
                                        On 5 Apr 2005 at 2:25, Frank T wrote:

                                        > --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Ken Ogilvy <kogilvy1@y...> wrote:
                                        > >

                                        > > Personally I think he can finish it in 2 books.
                                        > >
                                        > I think he could have finished it in two books total
                                        > FrankT

                                        I've always thought that the Wheel Of Time would make a great trilogy.

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 7, 2005
                                          --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, william@w... wrote:

                                          > I've always thought that the Wheel Of Time would make a great trilogy.

                                          It might have, but I really believe Jordan has no idea what he's trying
                                          to do.
                                          FrankT
                                        • momkoz1
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 8, 2005
                                            > > I've always thought that the Wheel Of Time would make a great
                                            trilogy.

                                            > It might have, but I really believe Jordan has no idea what he's
                                            trying
                                            > to do.
                                            > FrankT

                                            yes, i agree frank.

                                            TO MR JORDAN: please finish what you started.

                                            hehehe, i sound like his mom. wonder if she said the same thing.

                                            reading all of andre norton's novels i can find. found 2 more on
                                            amazon.com. just finished warding of witch world. starting the crystal
                                            gryphon, another witch world novel i never knew existed.
                                            jenn k :)
                                          • Cary Curphy
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 9, 2005
                                              momkoz1 <kosco@...> wrote:
                                              > reading all of andre norton's novels i can find.
                                              > found 2 more on amazon.com.
                                              > just finished warding of witch world.
                                              > starting the crystal gryphon,
                                              > another witch world novel i never knew existed.
                                              > jenn k :)

                                              You can find a complete lists of all of her work on her homepage,
                                              http://www.andre-norton.org/

                                              Cary

                                              test'; ">

                                            • momkoz1
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Apr 10, 2005
                                                > > reading all of andre norton's novels i can find.
                                                > > found 2 more on amazon.com.
                                                > > just finished warding of witch world.
                                                > > starting the crystal gryphon,
                                                > > another witch world novel i never knew existed.
                                                > > jenn k :)
                                                >
                                                > You can find a complete lists of all of her work on her homepage,
                                                > http://www.andre-norton.org/
                                                >
                                                > Cary

                                                wow, thanks cary! added to my favorites! :)
                                                jenn k