Eddings is better than this muck:Redemption of Althalus

  • Eoin
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2000
      Just finished the Redemption of Althalus (RoA) by David and Leigh
      Eddings and I must say that I was seriously disappointed. firstly let
      me say that I have read everything (Bar High Hunt) that Eddings has
      written and by and large I am a huge fan. The problem with this
      latest offering is that it really contains nothing that we haven't
      seen before. All of Eddings characters are becoming increasingly
      interchangeable even across the different series and the dialogue
      from one book to another feels as if it has been lifted bodily in
      chunks and deposited back in. There are all the usual
      witty/sarcastic/sardonic comments and humorous dialogue but
      ultimately this is not enough to carry a novel of this size. I found
      the plotting weak with little backround or explanation as to why his
      world works the way it works and of the three main deities one only
      appears towards the very end and we never get to see the third at
      all. Similarly the characters are almost laughably underdeveloped,
      Gelta the Queen of the Night gets about 30 lines of dialogue
      throughout the entire novel and at no time is there any sense of
      motivation or personality generated. Surely characters should be more
      than just clothes hangers apon which to lay the odd witticism. Lastly
      at no time at all does the reader ever feel that the "goodies" are in
      any danger of losing or even being threatened. I could go on but I
      won't, I'll leave you with the thought of what this could have been
      had it not been peopled with smug, one dimensional cardboard cut-out
      characters that we have seen many times before that you know will
      effortlessly win without even breaking a sweat. Eddings is far too
      good to be churning out this kind of muck. Eoin.