Re: [Fantasy_Books] thirsty for adult fantasy

    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 10, 2005
      > I need to reread Katherine Kerr's Deverry
      > series.
      >
      > I'm a couple of books behind from the end, but I read most of the series
      > back in 1999, so a lot is kind of vague. I love the twisting through time
      > and space, but I think I'll start that one over again.
      >
      > Rick

      It is worth a re-read.

      Peta

    • OJ
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 11, 2005
        --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "thorcory" <Corynielsen@a...>
        wrote:

        > Besides Game of thrones does anybody have suggestions for adult
        > fantasy? Preferably something with more fantasy in it!
        >
        > Thanks.

        If you like Hobb and Martin, I would strongly suggest The Briar King
        by Greg Keyes. I bought it after I was told it's a good book for
        those of us waiting on the latest Martin book to come out. That's a
        very good description. The second book in the series is out now too.

        Another great author - but maybe not quite as fantastical - is John
        Marco. I put him right up there with Martin and Hobb.

        -OJ
      • OJ
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 11, 2005
          --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Stewart Manby
          <stewartmanby@y...> wrote:
          > have you read terry goodkind or raymond e feist? try those authors
          they are very good when getting goodkind the first book in his sword
          of truth saga is called "wizards first rule" it is very good also
          start with raymond e feists magician it is the first in a three part
          saga but reads like a stand alone book very good

          While "Wizard's First Rule" is a great book on it's own, Terry
          Goodkind is a total hack.

          He has been churning out pure tribe for the past four or five
          years...apparently just to cash a pay check because his first book
          did so well. The second book is still good, and the third less so
          but things start to go to hell quickly after that.

          Goodkind is one of my least favorite authors of all time because he
          started out with such promise and then apparently sold out.

          -OJ
        • Frank T
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 11, 2005
            --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "OJ" <oj_stapleton@y...> wrote:

            > --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "thorcory" <Corynielsen@a...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Besides Game of thrones does anybody have suggestions for adult
            > > fantasy? Preferably something with more fantasy in it!
            > >
            > > Thanks.

            You might want to try Storm Constantine. I just finished my first
            book of hers called Sea Dragon's Heir and found it fascinating. I
            expect more fantasy will show up in the next two books of the
            series. Definitely adult.
            FrankT
          • Stewart Manby
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 13, 2005
              hmm i will agree with you that the standards were not quite so high later on in the series and naked empire was appaling but the sixth book in the series "faith of the fallen" was good if you have read it,what you think of raymond e feist? magician,silverthorn riftwar saga etc?

              <stewartmanby@y...> wrote:
              > have you read terry goodkind or raymond e feist? try those authors
              they are very good when getting goodkind the first book in his sword
              of truth saga is called "wizards first rule" it is very good also
              start with raymond e feists magician it is the first in a three part
              saga but reads like a stand alone book very good

              While "Wizard's First Rule" is a great book on it's own, Terry
              Goodkind is a total hack.

              He has been churning out pure tribe for the past four or five
              years...apparently just to cash a pay check because his first book
              did so well. The second book is still good, and the third less so
              but things start to go to hell quickly after that.

              Goodkind is one of my least favorite authors of all time because he
              started out with such promise and then apparently sold out.

              -OJ

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • Cory Nielsen
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 14, 2005
                Goodkind is a hackkkk!

                OJ wrote:

                >--- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Stewart Manby
                ><stewartmanby@y...> wrote:
                >

                >>have you read terry goodkind or raymond e feist? try those authors
                >>

                >they are very good when getting goodkind the first book in his sword
                >of truth saga is called "wizards first rule" it is very good also
                >start with raymond e feists magician it is the first in a three part
                >saga but reads like a stand alone book very good
                >
                >While "Wizard's First Rule" is a great book on it's own, Terry
                >Goodkind is a total hack.
                >
                >He has been churning out pure tribe for the past four or five
                >years...apparently just to cash a pay check because his first book
                >did so well. The second book is still good, and the third less so
                >but things start to go to hell quickly after that.
                >
                >Goodkind is one of my least favorite authors of all time because he
                >started out with such promise and then apparently sold out.
                >
                >-OJ
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Stewart Manby
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 15, 2005
                  do you know where the talking sword "kring" first appeared?
                  and also how do i put a topic up for discussion through e-mails?

                  Cory Nielsen <Corynielsen@...> wrote:
                  Goodkind is a hackkkk!

                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 15, 2005
                    <stewartmanby@y...> wrote:
                    > hmm i will agree with you that the standards were not quite so
                    > high later on in the series and naked empire was appaling but
                    > the sixth book in the series "faith of the fallen" was good if you
                    > have read it,

                    I have read all the books except for Chainfire - the latest one.
                    I'll agree that "Faith of the Fallen" is the best of the later books,
                    but it's still nowhere nearly as good as "Wizard's First Rule."

                    And yes, "Naked Empire" is just aweful. The single worst book I
                    have ever read. Period

                    The thing that pisses me off the most about Goodkind is how he
                    has started putting his political ideals into his books. Not only
                    has his writing gone to hell, he is also showing everyone just
                    how he is a small-minded nitwit.

                    > what you think of raymond e feist? magician,silverthorn riftwar
                    > saga etc?

                    I like Feist a lot. He's not the best writer out there, but I think he is
                    a great storyteller. The Riftwar Saga is a classic. The
                    Serpentwar Saga is also quite good.

                    I've only read the first book of his latest series, and I wasn't that
                    impressed with it. I'll probably read the second book to see if it
                    improves though. I have not read any of the Riftwar Legacy
                    books, mainly because I've heard they're not that great and the
                    synopsis didn't seem very interesting.

                    - OJ
                  • Stewart Manby
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 15, 2005
                      well at the moment am almost finished reading the third book in the riftwars saga "a darkness at sethanon" and i really like it i read silverthorn already and i quite enjoyed though i have read a lot of stuff similar too it what you might like to try is a series called the earthsea quartret but i cant remember who wrote it at the moment but its quite good i also quite like robin hobbany authors you would recommend?

                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 15, 2005
                        <stewartmanby@y...> wrote:
                        > well at the moment am almost finished reading the third book in
                        > the riftwars saga "a darkness at sethanon" and i really like it i
                        > read silverthorn already and i quite enjoyed though i have read a
                        > lot of stuff similar too it what you might like to try is a series
                        > called the earthsea quartret but i cant remember who wrote it at
                        > the moment but its quite good i also quite like robin hobbany
                        > authors you would recommend?

                        Earthsea was written by Ursula K. Le Guin. I've been meaning to
                        start it ever since I saw the miniseries on Sci-Fi. I like Robin
                        Hobb a lot too. I've read her assassin trilogy and have the
                        subsequent two series on my tbr list.

                        As far as recommendations, if you're looking for something similar
                        to Feist, you really can't go wrong with the Belgariad series by
                        David Eddings.

                        If you're looking for something with a bit more substance, there's
                        always George R.R. Martin. He's wildly popular, and for good reason.
                        His Fire and Ice series is outstanding, but he's taking FOREVER to
                        finish the fourth book.

                        Along the same lines as Martin, I am always schilling for John
                        Marco. He is by far the best relatively unknown author out there,
                        IMO. He has five books out so far - one completed trilogy and the
                        first two of a seperate, totally unrelated series. Jackal of Nar is
                        the first book Marco wrote and is a wonderful place to start.

                        -OJ
                      • Edwin Phua
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 16, 2005
                          Try Gregory Keyes' Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone (so far, The Briar King and
                          the Charnel Prince are published), which was mentioned by some members of
                          this group earlier.

                          It's thrilling stuff! Somewhat in the vein of Feist and Martin.

                          Steven Erikson's Malazan Books of the Fallen can be recommended without any
                          reservations as well! Perhaps for those who dislike 'epic' fantasy, this may
                          not be quite for you, but the complexity is very gripping. Along these
                          lines, R. Scott Bakker's The Darkness that Comes Before is quite a good read
                          as well.

                          Cheers!
                          Edwin

                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 16, 2005
                            > Earthsea was written by Ursula K. Le Guin. I've been meaning to
                            > start it ever since I saw the miniseries on Sci-Fi.

                            Earthsea is one of my most favourite series. There are actually 5 books in
                            the series, the fifth was written only a few years ago. I have not watched
                            the miniseries as LeGuin was bitterly disappointed with it. Apparently Ged
                            was played by a white actor when of course he was black!

                            Peta
                          • OJ
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 16, 2005
                              --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Peta Smith"
                              <petas@o...> wrote:

                              > Earthsea is one of my most favourite series. There are actually
                              > 5 books in the series, the fifth was written only a few years
                              > ago. I have not watched the miniseries as LeGuin was bitterly
                              > disappointed with it. Apparently Ged was played by a white
                              > actor when of course he was black!
                              >
                              > Peta

                              Is there some major plot element in the book about him being
                              black? Obviously, in the mini-series there wasn't. As long as the
                              colour of Ged's skin was just superficial, I don't see why it would
                              make a difference what kind of person played him.

                              -OJ
                            • OJ
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 16, 2005
                                --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Edwin Phua"
                                <fantast@p...> wrote:
                                > Try Gregory Keyes' Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone (so far, The
                                > Briar King and the Charnel Prince are published), which was
                                > mentioned by some members of this group earlier.
                                >
                                > It's thrilling stuff! Somewhat in the vein of Feist and Martin.

                                I like Keyes a lot too. His stuff is very similar to Martin, but just a
                                notch below, IMO.