Re: [Fantasy_Books] Re: Adults who enjoy children's or young adult fantasy

  • Dave Donovan
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 9, 2005
      I love the Harry Potter books, Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising series wasn't bad, Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series was very good also.

      For Horror/SciFi/Fantasy movie, book, and music news and reviews click here
      http://davesnewsandreviews.blogspot.com

    • Jill
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 12, 2005
        --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Quiksilvered@a... wrote:
        > Whenever I feel like relaxing I always go for a children's
        book. For
        > instance, the old boxcar series (only the first original few) are
        a charming hour
        > or so (I remember when those took me days!). On the newer front,
        Tamara Pierce
        > has some great young girl's novels, my favorite of which is
        the "Song of the
        > Lioness" series. Those are all pure fantasy - the best kind!
        >
        > Nikki

        ----

        Hi Nikki,

        My son read TONS of the Boxcar books a 2 or 3 years ago, and of
        course we had to buy them (I hate the way library books smell!), so
        I was in danger of my house being overriden by them!!

        I will certainly be looking up Tamara Pierce. How would you
        describe a story that is "pure fantasy?" I'm thinking that's the
        term I'd use to describe my preference as well.

        Thanks for the recommendation!

        Jill

        http://www.stay-at-home-mom-ezine.com
      • Jill
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 12, 2005
          --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, kay alderman
          <alderman711@y...> wrote:
          > Jill, I love "children's books" - Harry Potter, Narnia, the
          Hobbit - also, Artemis Fowl the Phillip Pullman books, etc. I still
          read Alice in Wonderland! I think sometimes there is a very fine
          line between adult fantasy and children's fantasy and I do still
          believe in faerie tales :)

          ---

          Hi, Kay --

          I agree that there is sometimes a fine line. Often it's as simple
          as the absense of more "adult" scenes that would have no place in a
          children's book. The basic elements of fantasy are, in my opinion,
          the same across the spectrum, and that is what draws me to a story!

          I absolutely hated "The Little White Horse," which I read for the
          first time only last year. While it was beautifully written, the
          actual story was trite and predictable, and the characters and
          places had ridiculous names. Despite the book cover's claim that
          this was JK Rowles' favorite book from childhood, I was underwhelmed.

          And -- I shudder to confess -- I've never read Alice in Wonderland!

          Jill

          http://www.stay-at-home-mom-ezine.com
        • richard Claypool
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 14, 2005
            I love the smel of library books. They smell like .. well .. books.
            >> Whenever I feel like relaxing I always go for a children's
            > book. For
            >> instance, the old boxcar series (only the first original few) are
            > a charming hour
            >> or so (I remember when those took me days!). On the newer front,
            > Tamara Pierce
            >> has some great young girl's novels, my favorite of which is
            > the "Song of the
            >> Lioness" series. Those are all pure fantasy - the best kind!
            >>
            >> Nikki
            >>
            > ----
            >
            > Hi Nikki,
            >
            > My son read TONS of the Boxcar books a 2 or 3 years ago, and of
            > course we had to buy them (I hate the way library books smell!), so
            > I was in danger of my house being overriden by them!!
            >
            > I will certainly be looking up Tamara Pierce. How would you
            > describe a story that is "pure fantasy?" I'm thinking that's the
            > term I'd use to describe my preference as well.
            >
            > Thanks for the recommendation!
            >
            > Jill
            >
            > http://www.stay-at-home-mom-ezine.com
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > --

          • Jill
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 14, 2005
              --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "richard Claypool"
              <elheme@e...> wrote:
              > I love the smel of library books. They smell like .. well ..
              books.

              I think they smell like bacteria. LOL

              Now give me a NEW book any day, and I will smell it until I get a
              head rush! I loooooove the smell of new books! :o)

              Jill
            • richard Claypool
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 15, 2005
                I think it must be the smell of my local library. It's this old house that
                was remade into a library. the smells of the old wood permiates everything.

                >> I love the smel of library books. They smell like .. well ..
                > books.
                >
                > I think they smell like bacteria. LOL
                >
                > Now give me a NEW book any day, and I will smell it until I get a
                > head rush! I loooooove the smell of new books! :o)
                >
                > Jill
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >

                > --

              • Jill
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 15, 2005
                  <elheme@e...> wrote:
                  > I think it must be the smell of my local library. It's this old
                  house that
                  > was remade into a library. the smells of the old wood permiates
                  everything.

                  Ahh, now that's a different story! I love "old house" smell. That
                  sounds delightful!

                  Have you ever smelled children's picture books from a run-of-the-
                  mill local library? Holy cow, there is no word to describe that
                  smell. I stopped allowing my kids to even touch them when they were
                  little.

                  (Who, me? Neurotic?)

                  Jill
                • richard Claypool
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 15, 2005
                    No, I've never smelle children's picture books. Being blind, I never had a
                    reason to. Hoever, once I start having a family, I'm sure that will change
                    :).

                    I love the smells of wood, books, those types of things. Yes, our library
                    is quite charming. It would be nice to explore the house, as exploring old
                    houses has been a passion of mine since I could walk.

                    Rickarama