Re: Ash and Deryni

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2005

      > I thought Ash was amazing. The way that Gentle wrote
      > the story was great.

      I quite liked the emails that went back and forth between the "author" and
      his publisher, and I liked Ash as a character but I didn't think the story
      itself was anything particularly special.

      > I read the first Deryni book a while back and thought
      > it was ok. The thing I really liked was that this
      > could have easily been a bloated gigantic tome, but
      > instead she went for short and sweet.

      Very, very simply written and some scenes were totally unrealistic or "what
      the ??" For example, a couple of times fights started and you thought they
      were going to be major fights except that they were over before they really
      got going. There were also a lot of "cringe" dialogues (reminded me of
      Eddings) and some characters acted completely unbelievably. I didn't mind
      the story but I didn't think it was great.

      Peta
    • Ken Ogilvy
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2005
        --- Peta Smith <petas@...> wrote:

        > > I thought Ash was amazing. The way that Gentle
        > wrote
        > > the story was great.
        >
        > I quite liked the emails that went back and forth
        > between the "author" and
        > his publisher, and I liked Ash as a character but I
        > didn't think the story
        > itself was anything particularly special.

        You quite right. I just liked the way Gentle slowly
        revealed the whole thing. Each part rested comfortable
        on top of the last. I wasn't cringing at the
        coincidences. They felt that right.

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail