Re: To remove from must have list

  • momkoz1
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 2004
      > Anything my Marian Zimemer Bradly. Especially if you have the
      Mists of
      > Avalon. If you have any copies of it in your shelves, ceremonially
      > burn them. Please. As a service to humanity
      > :p
      >
      > Tim
      > Your friendly list moderator

      you are reading the wrong mzb series. her best is the darkover
      world. i dont think it can be called fantasy, tho... it is more
      science fiction, i believe. but read any and all of the darkover
      books.
      jennifer kosco
    • Claire Rodriguez
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
        Hey Y'all!

        I'm Claire, new to the group.

        I'm surprised that no one has mentioned David Eddings, only my
        FAVORITE author. His Mallorean, Belgariad, and Elenium series are my
        favorite books...ever. And what aboutTerry Brooks? He is amazing.
        Eddings and Brooks got me addicted to fantasy and I haven't been able
        to find anything as good as they are.

        Also what about Anne McCaffrey, I loved her HarperHall novels about
        Menolly. And her books about Kilashandra I also liked. (although i
        guess this is more sci-fi. But they are not heavily so, and I really
        liked them) Also the first 2 books in her seteleportaion series, Rowan
        and Damia are excellent. Damia's children, etc I thought was not as
        new/original. (they are also sci-fi, but fantasy readers i think will
        still enjoy)

        And Stephen Donaldson. He's also excellent. If you're into court
        intrigue and crazy politics, there's LOTS of it.

        Love the topic though! Have been looking for new books to read of
        late. have been forced to return to the Jordan series. YIKES! Our
        friendly list moderator recomended the books by Sarah Douglas and also
        speaks highly of Robin Hobb. If you haven't checked them out.....DO!!

        One last thing...Is the Patricia McKinley mentioned the same one who
        did The Blue Sword? and Hero's Crown? Does she have other stuff? I
        was only aware of those two and Deerskin.

        HAPPY NEW YEARS!
        Claire
      • karl barnes
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
          That's Robin McKinnley, who wrote those books. Patrica McKillips wrote another fantasy novel called The Crown and the Cygnet or something like that.

          Claire Rodriguez <claireer@...> wrote:Hey Y'all!

          I'm Claire, new to the group.

        • ethiercn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
            McKinney wrote Outlaws of Sherwood, Beauty, Rose Daughter, Spindle's End,
            Door in the Hedge and Sunshine. There is also another short story collection but
            I can't remember the name, and I am sure I'm forgetting a book or two.

            Chris

          • petas@ozemail.com.au
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2005
              Hey Claire,

              Your tastes are similar to mine. I loved Eddings in the beginning - the Belgariad and Mallorean although the Elenium began to get a bit too samey and I never got past book 2. I also love Anne McCaffrey's dragon books although again the last few have gone down hill. The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant- excellent.
              Other favourites of mine are Katharine Kerr's Deverry series and George R R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. Definitely give them a go!

              Peta