Re: [Fantasy_Books] Need a little help from everyone

  • Stephen Gambuti
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 30, 2004
      Here is a list... lol

      Red Planet
      Faeire Wars by Herbie Brennan
      The Pendragon Adventures by DJ Mac Hale
      The Star Wars NJO series
      Center Moon (my book)lol
      The Merlin Conspiracy
      Sword of the Rightful King by Jane Yolen
      Ender's Game By Orsen Scott Card

      The above are mostly young adult sci fi and fantasy but I love them.

      Steve

      A Dark Science Fiction Tale
      Center Moon: Stone of Cordova
      www.fictionbytes.com
      ISBN: 1-59088-713-1

    • ethiercn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 30, 2004
        In a message dated 12/30/2004 5:57:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        grawgos@... writes:
        >What books have you
        >read that are great but rarely seen in your local store? What books
        >would you bring in? I would really appreciate any and all help you
        >all can give me.

        >I have noted Robin Hobb from the previous posts and will check to see
        >if I have any of the books in stock.

        Terry Pratchett, but he is everywhere (not a bad thing). Kristine Kathryn
        Rusch - both her Fey series and Retriveal Artists series. I can't find vol 2 in
        the Artist series and its driving me bonkers. Jasper Fforde. The Years Best
        Fantasy and Horror short story collection.

        Chris

      • karl barnes
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 30, 2004
          Well, you just have to have anything by Isaac Asimov,Arthur C.Clarke, C J Cherryh, C S Friedman, Stephen R Donaldson, Robin McKinnley, David Gemmel, Robert Aspirin, Douglas Adams,Garth Nix, Brian Jacques, Robert Adams and...well, that's all for right now. Brain not functioning to highly right now.

          eelloxx <grawgos@...> wrote:
          How are ya?

          Here is my problem. I have been a manager at a bookstore for a few
          months now. When I first started there, the sci fi/fantasy section
          was just completly pathetic. I have begun to build it up but I need
          some help from everyone here for some suggestions on what else to
          bring in. If you could pick books to stock a store, what books would
          you pick? I have been bringing in quite a few, but I am sure that
          there many out there that I have not heard of. The store all ready
          had a great number of books by jordan and Ringo and Salvator, but
          these 3 authors do not make a complete section. What books have you
          read that are great but rarely seen in your local store? What books
          would you bring in? I would really appreciate any and all help you
          all can give me.

          I have noted Robin Hobb from the previous posts and will check to see
          if I have any of the books in stock.

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Colin
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 30, 2004
            Here's my list:

            Greg Keyes - The Kingdoms Of Thorn And Bone ("The Briar King" and "The Charnel Prince")

            Charles de Lint - (anything by this author is a must have!)

            Guy Gavriel Kay - The Fionavar Tapestry ("The Summer Tree", "The Wandering Fire", and "The Darkest Road")

            Katharine Kerr - (pretty much anything in her Deverry series, starting with "Daggerspell")

            Robert Holdstock - "Mythago Wood" (only one I've read so far, but it was great)

            Ellen Kushner - "Thomas The Rhymer"

            Neil Gaiman - "Neverwhere" (only one I've read so far, but it's great)

            Kate Forsyth - "The Witches Of Eileanan" (first book of a six-book series)

            Raymond E. Feist - "Faerie Tale"

            Anyway, those are the ones I'd certainly recommend =)

            Colin

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 31, 2004
                Here are a few more,

                Anything by David Gemmell.
                Carol Berg - Transformation, Revelation and
                Restoration.
                Patrica Bray - Devlin series
                Jim Butcher - only read his Dresdin series (which is
                excellent) but have heard good things about his new
                book as well.
                Michael Stackpole - especially the Dragoncrown cycle
                and Dark Glory War.
                Steven Brust - Vlad Taltos books
                J. V. Jones - all

                Joe

                http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
              • S Michael
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 31, 2004
                  None of the bookstores here carry much science fiction/fantasy so I'm not sure what is commonly carried in that section of most bookstores.

                  Most of my reading is now done from library books (not a lot of choices for local bookstores) and one of the local libraries is very good about inter-library loans for books they don't have as long as I don't use it to excess. My personal library is getting rather unmanageable so I now try to read new authors/ new books from the library first and if I find myself going back and checking them out again to re-read several times, then they end up being purchased.

                  I will recommend some that are, probably, popular series and I suspect may be generally carried most places ... but are favorites of mine ... some science fiction, some fantasy.

                  Lois Bujold: Probably the first choice of my "favorite authors". Her Vorkosigan series is great (sci-fi) and she has now started a fantasy series (her last two books) that I like just as well.

                  David Weber: Honor Harrington series I like particularly, also some of his stand-alones.

                  David Drake: Lt.Leary series, The General series. the Empire series I like particularly well.

                  Elizabeth Moon: Some of hers are 'favorites', some aren't but they are all readable

                  Patricie Wrede: Very readable and most very suitable to a younger audience as well.

                  Robin McKinley: A bit "uneven" for me but always readable and 5 of her books are in my library. Her latest, Sunshine, is different than anything else she's written, in an alternate/modern world setting and more noir (as is another fantasy Deerskin), but fascinating.

                  Charles de Lint: Does the modern world intermingled with faery very well.

                  Mercedes Lackey: A very popular author with a huge number of books. Her latest series is quite good and a different departure, Joust and Altan are the first two, another coming soon I understand.

                  Sharon