Re: [Fantasy_Books] Need a little help from everyone

  • Cory Nielsen
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 30, 2004
      Fiest, The Dragon Lance Series is also a must
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 30, 2004
        Here is a list... lol

        Red Planet
        Faeire Wars by Herbie Brennan
        The Pendragon Adventures by DJ Mac Hale
        The Star Wars NJO series
        Center Moon (my book)lol
        The Merlin Conspiracy
        Sword of the Rightful King by Jane Yolen
        Ender's Game By Orsen Scott Card

        The above are mostly young adult sci fi and fantasy but I love them.

        Steve

        A Dark Science Fiction Tale
        Center Moon: Stone of Cordova
        www.fictionbytes.com
        ISBN: 1-59088-713-1

      • ethiercn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 30, 2004
          In a message dated 12/30/2004 5:57:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          grawgos@... writes:
          >What books have you
          >read that are great but rarely seen in your local store? What books
          >would you bring in? I would really appreciate any and all help you
          >all can give me.

          >I have noted Robin Hobb from the previous posts and will check to see
          >if I have any of the books in stock.

          Terry Pratchett, but he is everywhere (not a bad thing). Kristine Kathryn
          Rusch - both her Fey series and Retriveal Artists series. I can't find vol 2 in
          the Artist series and its driving me bonkers. Jasper Fforde. The Years Best
          Fantasy and Horror short story collection.

          Chris

        • karl barnes
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 30, 2004
            Well, you just have to have anything by Isaac Asimov,Arthur C.Clarke, C J Cherryh, C S Friedman, Stephen R Donaldson, Robin McKinnley, David Gemmel, Robert Aspirin, Douglas Adams,Garth Nix, Brian Jacques, Robert Adams and...well, that's all for right now. Brain not functioning to highly right now.

            eelloxx <grawgos@...> wrote:
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Colin
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 30, 2004
              Here's my list:

              Greg Keyes - The Kingdoms Of Thorn And Bone ("The Briar King" and "The Charnel Prince")

              Charles de Lint - (anything by this author is a must have!)

              Guy Gavriel Kay - The Fionavar Tapestry ("The Summer Tree", "The Wandering Fire", and "The Darkest Road")

              Katharine Kerr - (pretty much anything in her Deverry series, starting with "Daggerspell")

              Robert Holdstock - "Mythago Wood" (only one I've read so far, but it was great)

              Ellen Kushner - "Thomas The Rhymer"

              Neil Gaiman - "Neverwhere" (only one I've read so far, but it's great)

              Kate Forsyth - "The Witches Of Eileanan" (first book of a six-book series)

              Raymond E. Feist - "Faerie Tale"

              Anyway, those are the ones I'd certainly recommend =)

              Colin

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 31, 2004
                  Here are a few more,

                  Anything by David Gemmell.
                  Carol Berg - Transformation, Revelation and
                  Restoration.
                  Patrica Bray - Devlin series
                  Jim Butcher - only read his Dresdin series (which is
                  excellent) but have heard good things about his new
                  book as well.
                  Michael Stackpole - especially the Dragoncrown cycle
                  and Dark Glory War.
                  Steven Brust - Vlad Taltos books
                  J. V. Jones - all

                  Joe

                  http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                • S Michael
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 31, 2004
                    None of the bookstores here carry much science fiction/fantasy so I'm not sure what is commonly carried in that section of most bookstores.

                    Most of my reading is now done from library books (not a lot of choices for local bookstores) and one of the local libraries is very good about inter-library loans for books they don't have as long as I don't use it to excess. My personal library is getting rather unmanageable so I now try to read new authors/ new books from the library first and if I find myself going back and checking them out again to re-read several times, then they end up being purchased.

                    I will recommend some that are, probably, popular series and I suspect may be generally carried most places ... but are favorites of mine ... some science fiction, some fantasy.

                    Lois Bujold: Probably the first choice of my "favorite authors". Her Vorkosigan series is great (sci-fi) and she has now started a fantasy series (her last two books) that I like just as well.

                    David Weber: Honor Harrington series I like particularly, also some of his stand-alones.

                    David Drake: Lt.Leary series, The General series. the Empire series I like particularly well.

                    Elizabeth Moon: Some of hers are 'favorites', some aren't but they are all readable

                    Patricie Wrede: Very readable and most very suitable to a younger audience as well.

                    Robin McKinley: A bit "uneven" for me but always readable and 5 of her books are in my library. Her latest, Sunshine, is different than anything else she's written, in an alternate/modern world setting and more noir (as is another fantasy Deerskin), but fascinating.

                    Charles de Lint: Does the modern world intermingled with faery very well.

                    Mercedes Lackey: A very popular author with a huge number of books. Her latest series is quite good and a different departure, Joust and Altan are the first two, another coming soon I understand.

                    Sharon