Eddings' New Series

  • Tim Andrews
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 24, 2004
      Somewhat suprisingly, it seems that we never actually talked about
      Edding's 'new' series here. I havn't read it myself, but am somewhat
      interested in what people who have though of it...

      Tim
      Your friendly list moderator
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 24, 2004

        > Somewhat suprisingly, it seems that we never actually talked about
        > Edding's 'new' series here. I havn't read it myself, but am somewhat
        > interested in what people who have though of it...
        >
        > Tim

        Tim I am loathe to read anything more by Eddings. As I think I've said once
        before I enjoyed the Belgariad, didn't mind the Mallorean altho it was
        getting a bit samey, then I started the trilogy with Sparhawk but never got
        past the second book. Unfortunately I also read Polgara and Belgarath, again
        nothing new.

        I finished Ender's Game a few weeks ago which I enjoyed - has anyone read
        that?

        Before that I read Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen which I also enjoyed. Has
        anyone read them?
        Peta
      • Stephen Gambuti
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 24, 2004
          I have an audio of Endor's Game. I will listen this week and then we can discuss it!

          Steve

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          The War Your Teachers Never Told You About

          Center Moon: Stone of Cordova
          www.fictionbytes.com
          Ranked in the top ten in Young Adult
          at www.fictionwise.com

        • Rickness
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 25, 2004
            I read Endor's Game about a year ago. I really need to read the rest of the
            series. I have the books, it's just that I've not gotten around to it yet.
            > > Somewhat suprisingly, it seems that we never actually talked about
            > > Edding's 'new' series here. I havn't read it myself, but am somewhat
            > > interested in what people who have though of it...
            > >
            > > Tim
            >
            > Tim I am loathe to read anything more by Eddings. As I think I've said
            once
            > before I enjoyed the Belgariad, didn't mind the Mallorean altho it was
            > getting a bit samey, then I started the trilogy with Sparhawk but never
            got
            > past the second book. Unfortunately I also read Polgara and Belgarath,
            again
            > nothing new.
            >
            > I finished Ender's Game a few weeks ago which I enjoyed - has anyone read
            > that?
            >
            > Before that I read Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen which I also enjoyed. Has
            > anyone read them?
            > Peta
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Ken Ogilvy
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 25, 2004
              --- Tim Andrews <tand7717@...> wrote:

              > Somewhat suprisingly, it seems that we never
              > actually talked about
              > Edding's 'new' series here. I havn't read it myself,
              > but am somewhat
              > interested in what people who have though of it...
              >
              > Tim
              > Your friendly list moderator

              After the last book I have no interest in picking up
              "another" series.

              The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
              http://my.yahoo.com
            • Leigh L.
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 26, 2004
                >> Somewhat suprisingly, it seems that we never actually
                >> talked about Edding's 'new' series here. I havn't read
                >> it myself, but am somewhat interested in what people
                >> who have though of it...
                >
                > After the last book I have no interest in picking up
                > "another" series.

                Ditto. Seems like his last few by-the-numbers efforts have lost him
                a lot of fans - and rightly so. I only picked up and finished
                Polgara the Sorceress through sheer effort of will (after giving up
                on it for months halfway through), and found Redemption of Althalus
                a similarly tough struggle.

                Serves me right for bothering with it, I suppose, but I naively
                thought that a new story might bring with it a new lease of life
                after hearing the same story retold for the third or fourth time. My
                mistake: Althalus WAS basically a retread of the same old story with
                the same tired old characters, just with superficial differences to
                names and places. I won't be caught out again...

                Well, not until I see some *really* good reviews of his new stuff,
                anyway. :)

                Other recent reads: Alta by Mercedes Lackey (less annoying than
                Joust, though that's not difficult), and at the moment I'm giving
                Lian Hearn's Across the Nightingale Floor a shot on a friend's
                recommendation. Bit dry so far - hoping it'll pick up.

                - Leigh
              • Frank T
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 27, 2004
                  Both of these books are excellent. Ender's Game sent me on a major
                  reading of Card's works, including all the sequels. I felt that Card
                  was trying to change the perception of what he wrote in Ender's Game
                  in the orignal sequels to the book.
                  Sabriel was very good, but I haven't got to the sequels yet.
                  FrankT
                  --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Peta Smith" <petas@o...> wrote:

                  > I finished Ender's Game a few weeks ago which I enjoyed - has
                  anyone read
                  > that?
                  >
                  > Before that I read Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen which I also
                  enjoyed. Has
                  > anyone read them?
                  > Peta
                • Stephen Gambuti

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
                      --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Ken Ogilvy
                      <kogilvy1@y...> wrote:

                      > --- Tim Andrews <tand7717@m...> wrote:
                      >

                      > > Somewhat suprisingly, it seems that we never
                      > > actually talked about
                      > > Edding's 'new' series here. I havn't read it myself,
                      > > but am somewhat
                      > > interested in what people who have though of it...
                      > >
                      > > Tim
                      > > Your friendly list moderator
                      > >
                      > After the last book I have no interest in picking up
                      > "another" series.

                      I suppose I have a different perspective because I read
                      Belgariad and Malorian series ages ago and then I just recently
                      picked up the first book of the new Eddings series.

                      I liked it a lot. It was very original and fast-paced.