Re: [Fantasy_Books] Re: A little help?

  • nightwares Books
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 28, 2004
      On Oct 28, 2004, at 11:49 AM, william@... wrote:

      > On 28 Oct 2004 at 10:30, nightwares Books wrote:
      >

      >> On Oct 28, 2004, at 9:33 AM, karl barnes wrote:
      >>
      >>> I thought this too, but then I remember Feist's Riftwars novels were
      >>> divided into three parts, Magican: Apprentice with Pug/ later known
      >>> as
      >>> Milamber was forced into silence for a major portion of his
      >>> apprenticeship.
      >>
      >> That sounds a lot more like it. Ged wasn't compelled into silence for
      >> an extended period, though the value of the true name stuff does seem
      >> Earthseaish.
      >
      > The 'True Names having power' concept is barely mentioned in the
      > Riftwar books, and
      > the rest of the description doesn't really match either.

      Regardless, Ged is not compelled into silence for years. (Though he
      *does* silence himself for a time, IIRC...)

      The thought occurs that David might have read *both* series years ago,
      and might be conflating the two mentally.

      > This is one of those blurbs (particularly the last sentence) where I
      > have to wonder if the
      > person who wrote the blurb has ever read the book.

      You'd have to contact the blurb's author to find out. Odds are fair
      that it was written by someone in Bantam's publicity department who
      might or might not have read the entire book closely. It probably
      didn't come from Raymond Feist himself; my experience of authors is
      that in general they don't synopsize their own works particularly well.
      They tend to be too close to the source to present a workable, brief
      overview of it.

      --
      Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
      http://books.nightwares.com/