A little help?

  • David Meininger
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 26, 2004
      I'm trying to determine the title(s) and/or author of a series of 3 fantasy books that I read many years ago.

      This series centered on the adventures of a young boy who aspired to become a great wizard. He became an apprentice under a wizard who wouldn't permit him to speak for several years in part so that he might come to appreciate the power of spoken words. In this story, the "true" name of an object or person held enormous power and was to be used sparingly and with caution.

      I don't think the series in question is the Earthsea trilogy.

      Anybody have any idea what I might be trying to remember from my childhood?

    • Jane Gray
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 27, 2004
        Sounds like the Earthsea books to me
        jane

        I'm trying to determine the title(s) and/or author of a series of 3 fantasy
        books that I read many years ago.

        This series centered on the adventures of a young boy who aspired to become
        a great wizard. He became an apprentice under a wizard who wouldn't permit
        him to speak for several years in part so that he might come to appreciate
        the power of spoken words. In this story, the "true" name of an object or
        person held enormous power and was to be used sparingly and with caution.

        I don't think the series in question is the Earthsea trilogy.

        Anybody have any idea what I might be trying to remember from my childhood?

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM
      • Lynne M Ramsdell
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 27, 2004
          I don't remember Ged not being allowed to speak for several years.
          There is a trilogy of books with the first one's title being
          Apprentice, could those be the ones? I haven't read them and don't
          remember the titles of the other two.

          Thialynne

          --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Jane Gray" <hippygoth@b...>

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 27, 2004
            I think you might be right. May have been thinking of the Earthsea trilogy all along.

            Thanks!

            Jane Gray <hippygoth@...> wrote:
            Sounds like the Earthsea books to me
            jane

            I'm trying to determine the title(s) and/or author of a series of 3 fantasy
            books that I read many years ago.

            This series centered on the adventures of a young boy who aspired to become
            a great wizard. He became an apprentice under a wizard who wouldn't permit
            him to speak for several years in part so that he might come to appreciate
            the power of spoken words. In this story, the "true" name of an object or
            person held enormous power and was to be used sparingly and with caution.

            I don't think the series in question is the Earthsea trilogy.

            Anybody have any idea what I might be trying to remember from my childhood?

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 27, 2004
              No, Ged didn't spend much time with Ogion the Silent before heading off to
              Roke, and there was nothing about learning to appreciate the spoken word.
              Doesn't sound like you're thinking about the original Earthsea trilogy.

              > I think you might be right. May have been thinking of the Earthsea
              trilogy all along.

              > Thanks!
              >
              > Jane Gray <hippygoth@...> wrote:
              > Sounds like the Earthsea books to me
              > jane

            • jennifermacaire
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 28, 2004
                That's what popped into my mind too - are you sure it isn't this
                series?
                Jennifer

                www.jennifermacaire.com

                wrote:
                > Sounds like the Earthsea books to me
                > jane

              • karl barnes
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 28, 2004
                  I thought this too, but then I remember Feist's Riftwars novels were divided into three parts, Magican: Apprentice with Pug/ later known as Milamber was forced into silence for a major portion of his apprenticeship.

                  wrote:
                  > Sounds like the Earthsea books to me
                  > jane

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • nightwares Books
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 28, 2004
                    On Oct 28, 2004, at 9:33 AM, karl barnes wrote:

                    > I thought this too, but then I remember Feist's Riftwars novels were
                    > divided into three parts, Magican: Apprentice with Pug/ later known as
                    > Milamber was forced into silence for a major portion of his
                    > apprenticeship.

                    That sounds a lot more like it. Ged wasn't compelled into silence for
                    an extended period, though the value of the true name stuff does seem
                    Earthseaish.

                    David, is _Riftwars_ more in keeping with what you had in mind? From
                    Amazon, here's the description for "Magician: Apprentice":

                    "To the forest on the shore of the Kingdom of the Isles, the orphan Pug
                    came to study with the master magician Kulgan. But though his courage
                    won him a place at court and the heart of a lovely Princess, he was ill
                    at ease with the normal ways of wizardry. Yet Pug's strange sort of
                    magic would one day change forever the fates of two worlds. For dark
                    beings from another world had opened a rift in the fabric of spacetime
                    to being again the age-old battle between the forces of Order and
                    Chaos."

                    <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0553564943/>

                    --
                    Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
                    http://books.nightwares.com/
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 28, 2004
                      On 28 Oct 2004 at 10:30, nightwares Books wrote:

                      > On Oct 28, 2004, at 9:33 AM, karl barnes wrote:
                      >
                      > > I thought this too, but then I remember Feist's Riftwars novels were
                      > > divided into three parts, Magican: Apprentice with Pug/ later known as
                      > > Milamber was forced into silence for a major portion of his
                      > > apprenticeship.
                      >
                      > That sounds a lot more like it. Ged wasn't compelled into silence for
                      > an extended period, though the value of the true name stuff does seem
                      > Earthseaish.

                      The 'True Names having power' concept is barely mentioned in the Riftwar books, and
                      the rest of the description doesn't really match either.

                      > David, is _Riftwars_ more in keeping with what you had in mind? From
                      > Amazon, here's the description for "Magician: Apprentice":
                      >
                      > "To the forest on the shore of the Kingdom of the Isles, the orphan Pug
                      > came to study with the master magician Kulgan. But though his courage
                      > won him a place at court and the heart of a lovely Princess, he was ill
                      > at ease with the normal ways of wizardry. Yet Pug's strange sort of
                      > magic would one day change forever the fates of two worlds. For dark
                      > beings from another world had opened a rift in the fabric of spacetime
                      > to being again the age-old battle between the forces of Order and
                      > Chaos."

                      This is one of those blurbs (particularly the last sentence) where I have to wonder if the
                      person who wrote the blurb has ever read the book.

                      > Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books

                      --
                      William Marnoch
                      william@...
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 28, 2004
                        Not sure, but I think this might be the one. The protagonist in the series I'm thinking of most definitely did go through an extended period of silence during his apprenticeship.

                        I'll check out both series in hopes that one of the two is what I'm thinking of!

                        Thanks for your help!

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 28, 2004
                          On Oct 28, 2004, at 11:49 AM, william@... wrote:

                          > On 28 Oct 2004 at 10:30, nightwares Books wrote:
                          >

                          >> On Oct 28, 2004, at 9:33 AM, karl barnes wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> I thought this too, but then I remember Feist's Riftwars novels were
                          >>> divided into three parts, Magican: Apprentice with Pug/ later known
                          >>> as
                          >>> Milamber was forced into silence for a major portion of his
                          >>> apprenticeship.
                          >>
                          >> That sounds a lot more like it. Ged wasn't compelled into silence for
                          >> an extended period, though the value of the true name stuff does seem
                          >> Earthseaish.
                          >
                          > The 'True Names having power' concept is barely mentioned in the
                          > Riftwar books, and
                          > the rest of the description doesn't really match either.

                          Regardless, Ged is not compelled into silence for years. (Though he
                          *does* silence himself for a time, IIRC...)

                          The thought occurs that David might have read *both* series years ago,
                          and might be conflating the two mentally.

                          > This is one of those blurbs (particularly the last sentence) where I
                          > have to wonder if the
                          > person who wrote the blurb has ever read the book.

                          You'd have to contact the blurb's author to find out. Odds are fair
                          that it was written by someone in Bantam's publicity department who
                          might or might not have read the entire book closely. It probably
                          didn't come from Raymond Feist himself; my experience of authors is
                          that in general they don't synopsize their own works particularly well.
                          They tend to be too close to the source to present a workable, brief
                          overview of it.