Re: [Fantasy_Books] Michelle West

  • Dale Jory
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 9, 2004
      I have read all 6 books and enjoyed them very much.
      Michelle is writing another book called "House War"
      which will continue the plot line that was left
      dangling. She believes it will only be 1 book but I
      would not be surprised if it is more.

      After "House War" Michelle will continue the story
      begun in the Hunters Duolopy and finish up the story
      arc with a set of books called the "End of Days" which
      will feature characters from the Hunter Books and The
      Sun Sword series.

      Dale

      --- "NewMoonOccultShop.com" <nmos@...>
      wrote:

      > Anyone else actually make it through all 6 books o
      > fthe series?
      >
      > I have to say, I felt at the end like she was
      > angling for another book
      > because she left a whole plot line unfinished and
      > dangling!
      >
      > Judith Lewis
      > Please visit my shop
      > http://www.NewMoonOccultShop.com/

      http://vote.yahoo.com
    • NewMoonOccultShop.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 10, 2004
        At 08:00 PM 10/9/04 EDT, you wrote:

        >In a message dated 10/9/2004 10:12:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        >nmos@... writes:
        >Anyone else actually make it through all 6 books o fthe series?
        >
        >I have to say, I felt at the end like she was angling for another book
        >because she left a whole plot line unfinished and dangling!
        >You mean Sun Sword, right? I liked the series though at times I felt it
        >could have been a tad shorter.
        >
        >Her first two were in the same universe so maybe she is angling for another
        >group.
        >

        >Chris

        I feel like she's angling for another few. It is thge Sun Sword series.
        Only one plot line was wrapped. A few new avenues were opened and a
        promised thing never happened in the book.

        I do agree, it plodded a bit and frankly if I had only bought the first
        book, I never would have continued. I only read further because I bought
        all 3 (I thought all 3 at the time) and didn't want to admit defeat.

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 10, 2004
          At 05:26 PM 10/9/04 -0700, you wrote:

          >I have read all 6 books and enjoyed them very much.
          >Michelle is writing another book called "House War"
          >which will continue the plot line that was left
          >dangling. She believes it will only be 1 book but I
          >would not be surprised if it is more.

          Well, I have to admit having plodded through all 6, I wasn;t surprised the
          Jewel story arc wasn't completed and left in a state that would allow
          further plot lines to develop.

          >After "House War" Michelle will continue the story
          >begun in the Hunters Duolopy and finish up the story
          >arc with a set of books called the "End of Days" which
          >will feature characters from the Hunter Books and The
          >Sun Sword series.

          Are the Hunter books in the same world?

        • ethiercn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 10, 2004
            In a message dated 10/10/2004 8:16:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            nmos@... writes:

            >Dale

            Yes and some of the same characters pop up. I didn't like them as much as I
            liked the Sun Sword books, however.

            What I liked about the Sun Sword series, what kept me reading even though at
            times I thought that the series had gotten away from West, was what West was
            able to do with women (ie Diora) who were not the typical female with sword
            hero that tends to populate some fantasy. Diora's waiting was perhaps also
            symbolic of the series.

            Chris

          • Dale Jory
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 11, 2004
              wrote:

              >>After "House War" Michelle will continue the story
              > >begun in the Hunters Duolopy and finish up the
              > story
              > >arc with a set of books called the "End of Days"
              > which
              > >will feature characters from the Hunter Books and
              > The
              > >Sun Sword series.
              >
              > Are the Hunter books in the same world?

              Yes they are, they are set about 20 years before the
              Sun Sword Series. A number of characters from the
              Empire make their first appearance in the Hunter
              Books.

              Dale

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • NewMoonOccultShop.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 14, 2004
                >Yes and some of the same characters pop up. I didn't like them as much as I
                >liked the Sun Sword books, however.
                >
                >What I liked about the Sun Sword series, what kept me reading even though at
                >times I thought that the series had gotten away from West, was what West was
                >able to do with women (ie Diora) who were not the typical female with sword
                >hero that tends to populate some fantasy. Diora's waiting was perhaps also
                >symbolic of the series.
                >

                >Chris

                I have to admit that her stories was one of the ones I liked the most
                though in the last book I felt like West was beating us over the head with
                a stick a bit to point out how Diora had changed.

                I enjoyed it as a whole and feel the Deborah Chester books I'm going
                through are like cheap romance novels compared to it. West really raised
                my expectations from Fantasy.

                Judith Lewis
                Please visit my shop http://www.NewMoonOccultShop.com/
              • Edwin Phua
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 17, 2005
                  Michelle West had an old series The Book of the Sundered which was rather interesting. I only managed to read the first book, and I could no longer find it locally, but it's being reprinted.

                  I greatly enjoyed The Broken Crown, and I found her characters very interesting. The culture of the Dominion has a very Oriental feel to it, and it being quite detailed, I felt that the 'Orientalism' was crafted with some depth. Now, I am onto the second book in this series.

                  Cheers!
                  Edwin