Michelle West

  • NewMoonOccultShop.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 9, 2004
      Anyone else actually make it through all 6 books o fthe series?

      I have to say, I felt at the end like she was angling for another book
      because she left a whole plot line unfinished and dangling!

      Judith Lewis
      Please visit my shop http://www.NewMoonOccultShop.com/
    • NewMoonOccultShop.com

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 9, 2004
          In a message dated 10/9/2004 10:12:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          nmos@... writes:
          Anyone else actually make it through all 6 books o fthe series?

          I have to say, I felt at the end like she was angling for another book
          because she left a whole plot line unfinished and dangling!
          You mean Sun Sword, right? I liked the series though at times I felt it
          could have been a tad shorter.

          Her first two were in the same universe so maybe she is angling for another
          group.

          Chris

        • Ken Ogilvy
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 9, 2004
            --- "NewMoonOccultShop.com" <nmos@...>
            wrote:

            > Anyone else actually make it through all 6 books o
            > fthe series?
            >
            > I have to say, I felt at the end like she was
            > angling for another book
            > because she left a whole plot line unfinished and
            > dangling!
            >
            > Judith Lewis
            > Please visit my shop
            > http://www.NewMoonOccultShop.com/

            Nope, unfortunalty cause she works at the bookstore I
            frequent I feel bad when I see her.
            I tried to read the first one but couldn't get into
            it. Maybe this year
            I do know that she didn't expect to write book six but
            when she couldn't tie everything up in book 5 they
            arranged for book 6

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Dale Jory
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 9, 2004
              I have read all 6 books and enjoyed them very much.
              Michelle is writing another book called "House War"
              which will continue the plot line that was left
              dangling. She believes it will only be 1 book but I
              would not be surprised if it is more.

              After "House War" Michelle will continue the story
              begun in the Hunters Duolopy and finish up the story
              arc with a set of books called the "End of Days" which
              will feature characters from the Hunter Books and The
              Sun Sword series.

              Dale

              wrote:

              > Anyone else actually make it through all 6 books o
              > fthe series?
              >
              > I have to say, I felt at the end like she was
              > angling for another book
              > because she left a whole plot line unfinished and
              > dangling!
              >
              > Judith Lewis
              > Please visit my shop
              > http://www.NewMoonOccultShop.com/

              http://vote.yahoo.com
            • NewMoonOccultShop.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 10, 2004
                At 08:00 PM 10/9/04 EDT, you wrote:

                >In a message dated 10/9/2004 10:12:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                >nmos@... writes:
                >Anyone else actually make it through all 6 books o fthe series?
                >
                >I have to say, I felt at the end like she was angling for another book
                >because she left a whole plot line unfinished and dangling!
                >You mean Sun Sword, right? I liked the series though at times I felt it
                >could have been a tad shorter.
                >
                >Her first two were in the same universe so maybe she is angling for another
                >group.
                >

                >Chris

                I feel like she's angling for another few. It is thge Sun Sword series.
                Only one plot line was wrapped. A few new avenues were opened and a
                promised thing never happened in the book.

                I do agree, it plodded a bit and frankly if I had only bought the first
                book, I never would have continued. I only read further because I bought
                all 3 (I thought all 3 at the time) and didn't want to admit defeat.

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 10, 2004
                  At 05:26 PM 10/9/04 -0700, you wrote:

                  >I have read all 6 books and enjoyed them very much.
                  >Michelle is writing another book called "House War"
                  >which will continue the plot line that was left
                  >dangling. She believes it will only be 1 book but I
                  >would not be surprised if it is more.

                  Well, I have to admit having plodded through all 6, I wasn;t surprised the
                  Jewel story arc wasn't completed and left in a state that would allow
                  further plot lines to develop.

                  >After "House War" Michelle will continue the story
                  >begun in the Hunters Duolopy and finish up the story
                  >arc with a set of books called the "End of Days" which
                  >will feature characters from the Hunter Books and The
                  >Sun Sword series.

                  Are the Hunter books in the same world?

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 10, 2004
                    In a message dated 10/10/2004 8:16:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                    nmos@... writes:

                    >Dale

                    Yes and some of the same characters pop up. I didn't like them as much as I
                    liked the Sun Sword books, however.

                    What I liked about the Sun Sword series, what kept me reading even though at
                    times I thought that the series had gotten away from West, was what West was
                    able to do with women (ie Diora) who were not the typical female with sword
                    hero that tends to populate some fantasy. Diora's waiting was perhaps also
                    symbolic of the series.

                    Chris

                  • Dale Jory
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 11, 2004
                      wrote:

                      >>After "House War" Michelle will continue the story
                      > >begun in the Hunters Duolopy and finish up the
                      > story
                      > >arc with a set of books called the "End of Days"
                      > which
                      > >will feature characters from the Hunter Books and
                      > The
                      > >Sun Sword series.
                      >
                      > Are the Hunter books in the same world?

                      Yes they are, they are set about 20 years before the
                      Sun Sword Series. A number of characters from the
                      Empire make their first appearance in the Hunter
                      Books.

                      Dale

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • NewMoonOccultShop.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 14, 2004
                        >Yes and some of the same characters pop up. I didn't like them as much as I
                        >liked the Sun Sword books, however.
                        >
                        >What I liked about the Sun Sword series, what kept me reading even though at
                        >times I thought that the series had gotten away from West, was what West was
                        >able to do with women (ie Diora) who were not the typical female with sword
                        >hero that tends to populate some fantasy. Diora's waiting was perhaps also
                        >symbolic of the series.
                        >

                        >Chris

                        I have to admit that her stories was one of the ones I liked the most
                        though in the last book I felt like West was beating us over the head with
                        a stick a bit to point out how Diora had changed.

                        I enjoyed it as a whole and feel the Deborah Chester books I'm going
                        through are like cheap romance novels compared to it. West really raised
                        my expectations from Fantasy.

                        Judith Lewis
                        Please visit my shop http://www.NewMoonOccultShop.com/
                      • Edwin Phua
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 17, 2005
                          Michelle West had an old series The Book of the Sundered which was rather interesting. I only managed to read the first book, and I could no longer find it locally, but it's being reprinted.

                          I greatly enjoyed The Broken Crown, and I found her characters very interesting. The culture of the Dominion has a very Oriental feel to it, and it being quite detailed, I felt that the 'Orientalism' was crafted with some depth. Now, I am onto the second book in this series.

                          Cheers!
                          Edwin