What's everybody doing?

  • Lynne M Ramsdell
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 11, 2004
      Hi folks. Just finished reading the last two Drizzt books. I didn't
      have anything new to get into, so I'm re-reading Memory, Sorrow and
      Thorn by Tad Williams. Actually, re-read Tailchaser's Song first.
      When my room-mate finishes the Mary Gentry books he has I'll be
      getting my grubby mitts on them. :)
      What have you all been up to? Doing anything besides reading? I've
      been to a couple of Ren Faires and went to see a lot of movies with
      friends.
      Hope you're all having a great summer.

      Thialynne
    • Colin
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 11, 2004
        Hi Thialynne,

        I have to say I'm jealous! *TWO* ren faires??? That's just....just...WRONG....lol

        I recently lost my job, so you can imagine how busy I am trying to find another job...but I am managing to get back into some of my favorite Charles De Lint books. Other than that, it's waiting for the extended edition of ROTK to come out on DVD in November....

        Just out of curiosity...are there any old-school pen-and-paper roleplaying game addicts out there??

        Colin

        Lynne M Ramsdell <Thialynne@...> wrote:
        Hi folks. Just finished reading the last two Drizzt books. I didn't
        have anything new to get into, so I'm re-reading Memory, Sorrow and
        Thorn by Tad Williams. Actually, re-read Tailchaser's Song first.
        When my room-mate finishes the Mary Gentry books he has I'll be
        getting my grubby mitts on them. :)
        What have you all been up to? Doing anything besides reading? I've
        been to a couple of Ren Faires and went to see a lot of movies with
        friends.
        Hope you're all having a great summer.

        Thialynne

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • karl barnes

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 12, 2004
            --- Lynne M Ramsdell <Thialynne@...> wrote:

            > What have you all been up to? Doing anything
            > besides reading? I've
            > been to a couple of Ren Faires and went to see a lot
            > of movies with
            > friends.
            > Hope you're all having a great summer.
            >
            > Thialynne

            Not much this summer, reading, working and hanging out
            with the kids

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • nightwares Books
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 12, 2004
              On Aug 11, 2004, at 2:28 PM, Lynne M Ramsdell wrote:

              > What have you all been up to? Doing anything besides reading?

              Oy!

              Retooled the book site, redid all the covers, reissued with a new print
              partner. Everything we publish is considerably more affordable. (Most
              bookstores extend discounts off the list price, and I've seen Amazon
              take 30% off some of our stuff...)

              The new printer migration is *mostly* done now, though there are still
              a couple titles working through channels -- it takes a while for the
              iSBN information to propagate completely -- and I'm awaiting author
              approval on some others.

              Got new authors as well that I'm working with, and a couple of my own
              that are slowly percolating to ... um, something, anyway.

              So yeah, busy darn summer so far...!

              Oh, reading. Um, fantasy ... _Neveryona_ by Delany; that's it so far.
              (I've read multiple titles but mostly in novels/SF.)

              Warren Ockrassa | Publisher/Editor | nightwares Books
              books@... | http://books.nightwares.com/
            • Lynne M Ramsdell
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 12, 2004
                Sorry to hear about the job. I hope something good comes your way
                soon. I love Charles de Lint too. I've been thinking I should go
                back to the used book store I like and get more of his stuff. I am
                also waiting to get RoTK and I am an AD & D addict.
                One of the faires I went to was actually highland games. Would that
                actually count as a ren faire?

                --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Colin <ashenbow@y...> wrote:
                > Hi Thialynne,
                >
                > I have to say I'm jealous! *TWO* ren faires??? That's
                just....just...WRONG....lol

                > I recently lost my job, so you can imagine how busy I am trying to
                find another job...but I am managing to get back into some of my
                favorite Charles De Lint books. Other than that, it's waiting for the
                extended edition of ROTK to come out on DVD in November....

                > Just out of curiosity...are there any old-school pen-and-paper
                roleplaying game addicts out there??

                > Colin
                >
                > Lynne M Ramsdell <Thialynne@m...> wrote:
                > Hi folks. Just finished reading the last two Drizzt books. I
                didn't
                > have anything new to get into, so I'm re-reading Memory, Sorrow and
                > Thorn by Tad Williams. Actually, re-read Tailchaser's Song first.
                > When my room-mate finishes the Mary Gentry books he has I'll be
                > getting my grubby mitts on them. :)
                > What have you all been up to? Doing anything besides reading?
                I've
                > been to a couple of Ren Faires and went to see a lot of movies with
                > friends.
                > Hope you're all having a great summer.
                >
                > Thialynne
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Service.

              • Lynne M Ramsdell
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 12, 2004
                  Geez Warren, where do you find the time to read? :)

                  Thialynne

                  --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, nightwares Books <books@n...>
                  wrote:
                  > On Aug 11, 2004, at 2:28 PM, Lynne M Ramsdell wrote:
                  >
                  > > What have you all been up to? Doing anything besides reading?
                  >
                  > Oy!
                  >
                  > Retooled the book site, redid all the covers, reissued with a new
                  print
                  > partner. Everything we publish is considerably more affordable.
                  (Most
                  > bookstores extend discounts off the list price, and I've seen
                  Amazon
                  > take 30% off some of our stuff...)
                  >
                  > The new printer migration is *mostly* done now, though there are
                  still
                  > a couple titles working through channels -- it takes a while for
                  the
                  > iSBN information to propagate completely -- and I'm awaiting author
                  > approval on some others.
                  >
                  > Got new authors as well that I'm working with, and a couple of my
                  own
                  > that are slowly percolating to ... um, something, anyway.
                  >
                  > So yeah, busy darn summer so far...!
                  >
                  > Oh, reading. Um, fantasy ... _Neveryona_ by Delany; that's it so
                  far.
                  > (I've read multiple titles but mostly in novels/SF.)
                  >

                  > Warren Ockrassa | Publisher/Editor | nightwares Books
                  > books@n... | http://books.nightwares.com/
                • Lynne M Ramsdell
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 12, 2004
                    That sounds nice and relaxing.

                    Thialynne

                    --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Ken Ogilvy <kogilvy1@y...>

                  • ethiercn@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 12, 2004
                      In a message dated 8/12/2004 2:00:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                      ashenbow@... writes:
                      Other than that, it's waiting for the extended edition of ROTK to come out on
                      DVD in November
                      I heard it was Dec.

                      Chris
                      [pen and paper role player}

                    • Colin
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 12, 2004
                        de Lint is fantastic. I heartily recommend "Jack of Kinrowan" and "The Little Country" (two of my favorites). Also, I haven't had much luck with local used bookstores - seems like everything has already been picked over by the time I get there. :) A couple sites I like to visit for great used books are www.half.com and www.powells.com

                        I don't know if Highland Games counts as a ren faire, but I'd *love* to go to one of those as well...this lovely shade of envious green I'm wearing on my face is getting darker and darker all the time...and you're a gamer, too....ok...that's just not fair - I gotta find me a good group somewhere. Thialynne, why do you hate me??? LOL :D

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 13, 2004
                            --- Colin <ashenbow@...> wrote:

                            > You know, I haven't been able to find *ANY* info
                            > that nails down the date of the extended edition of
                            > ROTK anywhere. I was just assuming November, because
                            > that's when the first two films were released on
                            > extended DVD's. Man, if it's longer than that...I'm
                            > fairly certain I'm going to have a psychotic episode
                            > of some magnitude. :)
                            >

                            > Colin

                            Yup, not offical date but the information is pointing
                            to a Dec release

                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 15, 2004
                              Powells is a great bookstore in Portland. Have you been to the
                              physical place? It's huge! The building takes up an entire city
                              block and is 5 stories high. Has a cafe in it so you can refresh
                              between floors. I have only been there once. It might have changed.
                              I have both of the de Lint books you mention. Jack of Kinrowan was
                              the first thing I read from him. I was totally hooked.
                              We went to the games mostly to hear Tempest play. They are a Celtic
                              rock band if you've never heard of them. We wandered around too and
                              had lots of fun.
                              The group I usually game with has had a game going in over a year.
                              We all seem to have gotten busy doing other things. One of the other
                              members has mentioned he would like to start again, though.
                              If you were in Western Washington I would say join our group. :)
                              Don't worry Colin, I don't start hating people until after I meet
                              them in person. :) :)

                              Thialynne

                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 15, 2004
                                I have heard that they are going to relaese the extended version in
                                theatres in Nov. then relaese the DVD in Dec. My ex told me that.
                                Not sure where he got the info though.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 15, 2004
                                  *laughs* As a matter of fact, I *DO* live in western Washington! Near Bellingham. :) I've never heard of Tempest before - are they a local band? I'll have to check them out. And if the fact that I live in western Washington isn't coincidence enough for you, "Jack Of Kinrowan" was also my first De Lint book. Curiouser and curiouser....lol

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 16, 2004
                                    Bellingham is where I first saw Tempest play. This IS getting
                                    wierd. :) I live in Tacoma. Tempest has a website where I believe
                                    you can download samples of the music. It's Tempestmusic.com.

                                    Thialynne

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 16, 2004
                                      Just noticed that I should have put hasn't had a game going in over a
                                      year. Sorry about thr typo there.

                                      Thialynne