Re: Essential fantasy

  • Leigh L.
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 19, 2004
      >> #2) The Sword of Shanarra by Terry Brooks
      > Never read it. So many people really, really hate it that I'm
      > not really tempted to pick it up.

      It's not that bad. Like most of Brooks' stuff, it's never truly
      great but passes the time nicely. I also know people who refuse to
      touch his stuff with a bargepole, though, so you're not alone.

      >> #3) Magician by Raymond Feist
      > Until recently, it was published as two volumes (Magician:
      > Apprentice and Magician: Master) but you can buy it in one
      > big book now.

      Don't know about elsewhere, but it's always been a single volume in
      the UK. One of those that I never got around to, which got pushed
      back even further when the expanded edition came out a few years
      back and made the original version on my shelf seem a bit
      redundant...

      >> #4) The Belgariad by David Eddings
      > Personally I prefer his "Elenium" series, it has a bit more depth.
      > The Belgariad is hardly great literature but I enjoyed it a lot.

      I'm with you there. Loved the Belgariad at the time, but I did
      prefer the Elenium - seemed like a genuine maturing of style. Didn't
      turn out to be the case, of course, as he's done nothing but
      unreadable tat ever since. Ah well. :)

      >> #10) The Loremasters of Elundium by Mike Jeffries
      >> If you can find this three-book series BUY IT RIGHT AWAY.

      I've only read one Mike Jeffries book - Hidden Echoes - and that was
      pretty dire. Can't speak for his pure fantasy stuff, it may be
      infinitely better for all I know, but I can't say I'm in a mad rush
      to track it down!

      > 5 - "The Malazan Book Of The Fallen" by Steven Erikson. Compared
      > to this every other epic fantasy series should really be re-
      > classified as 'slightly epic' fantasy.

      Glad someone else put this forward. Not the easiest series to get
      into, but well worth the effort.

      > 6 - "The Anubis Gates" by Tim Powers. A brilliant book on many
      > levels. It's a great piece of historical fantasy, an unusually
      > well-thought-out time travel story, a highly original
      > supernatural fantasy and a compelling page-turning adventure.

      Also has some of the best twists in any book I've ever read. I'd put
      this on a top ten personal faves list too, though I'm not so sure
      about a strictly fantasy top ten...

      I'd also go along with the Thomas Covenant and Elric suggestions
      made by others, and how can you leave out the Discworld?

      - Leigh
    • volkerthemadfiddler
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 19, 2004
        --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Leigh L." <leighlo@r...>
        wrote:
        > > Actually, the Fionavar Tapestry are the only works of Kay that
        > > *aren't* historical fiction (that I know of). They are much
        > > more 'fantasy' oriented than anything else he has written.
        > > There's dragons, magic, dwarves, elves (lios alfar), wizards,
        > > etc. They are simply fantastic. I highly, highly encourage
        > > anyone who loves good, old-fashioned epic fantasy to read
        > > them. You will not be disappointed.
        >
        > Strangely, while I love epic fantasy to the point of reading very
        > little else, The Fionavar Tapestry didn't do nearly as much for me
        > as the rest of Kay's work that I've read to date: Tigana and, far
        > more importantly, A Song for Arbonne. The Fionavar stuff was
        > entertaining enough, but the 'real world' connection often stood
        out
        > as clumsy -

        This was one of my favorite parts about "Three Hearts and Three
        Lions" by Anderson. The main character was a WWII era engineer and
        even in the fantasy setting he continued to think like an engineer-
        even to the point of pondering the chemcial reaction which made it
        possible for dragons to breathe fire.

        Volker the Mad Fiddler (extra points for anyone who identifies the
        source of the name)
      • Ken Ogilvy
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 20, 2004
          --- Colin <ashenbow@...> wrote:

          > Actually, the Fionavar Tapestry are the only works
          > of Kay that *aren't* historical fiction (that I know
          > of). They are much more 'fantasy' oriented than
          > anything else he has written. There's dragons,
          > magic, dwarves, elves (lios alfar), wizards, etc.
          > They are simply fantastic. I highly, highly
          > encourage anyone who loves good, old-fashioned epic
          > fantasy to read them. You will not be disappointed.

          I am not sure of this but I think Kay wrote the
          Fionavar series to get his foot in the door. If you
          look at his books as he wrote them they slowly move
          from Epic Fantasy to his pseudo historical fantasy.
          It's not even historical. He takes locations, like
          Proviance, France for A Song For Arbonne to Rome for
          Sailing to Sarantium. He takes the location and time
          and spins his own story.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • pq
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 20, 2004
            On Jul 19, 2004, at 6:12 AM, volkerthemadfiddler wrote:

            > From: "" <garkutch@...>
            > Subject: Re:
            >
            > --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <ashenbow@y...> wrote:
            >> --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "OJ" <oj_stapleton@y...>
            > wrote:
            >>> We got into a discussion of essential fantasy on another board,
            >> and I
            >>> came up with my own top 10 list. Here is what I came up with,
            > just
            >>> wondering what some of the folks on this board think.
            >>>
            >>> #1) The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkein - This is where it
            > all
            >>> started. It's not as accessable as some later fantasy work, but I
            >>> still think you have to start any list of essentials with
            > Tolkein.
            >>
            >> While I would have to agree that Tolkien belongs in the list of
            >> essential fantasy, his books are hardly "where it all started".
            > Even
            >> Tolkien himself admitted to writing the books in an attempt to
            >> return the 'fairy story' to the forefront of the general
            > population
            >> (my words, not his).
            >>
            > Aye. Tolkien drew heavily on Norse and Celtic mythology. I would
            > personally call Robert E. Howard the father of modern fantasy rather
            > than Tolkien (even though Tolkien was definitely the more
            > accomplished author.).

            I'd like to make the case /for/ Tolkien.

            Though it's true that fantasy had a long and distinguished history in
            British literature, and we can see how Tolkien was influenced by such
            Victorians as William Morris, George MacDonald, Lord Dunsany, and
            others; and you can point to E.R. Eddison's The Worm Ouroboros coming
            out in the 1920s, and his Zimiamvian Trilogy coming in the 30s-40s; and
            while in America Weird Tales in the 20s and 30s was publishing Merrit,
            Lovecraft, Howard, and others, and Howard's Conan novel was reprinted
            in the 50s in the "Historical Romance/Swashbuckling" boomlet, just
            about the same time TLOR was published, these were only fashions and
            fads, appearing, and then receding in the tides.

            So I wonder where the *current* boomlet in Fantasy began? In the early
            60s, Ballantine started putting out Edgar Rice Burroughs' tales, have a
            successful run with the Tarzan and Barsoom/Mar series. Ballantine also
            reissued Hobbit and LOTR in paperback editions, and Ace, trying to take
            advantage of a murky copyright situation, issued a version of LOTR as
            well, until Tolkien, Ballantine, and their lawyers cleared up the
            rights. Ace (I think) about this time started putting out the L
            Sprague deCamp/Lin Carter editions of the Conan tales, and they were a
            hit. In the US, I think it was another small house, can't remember the
            name of it, that put out Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champions
            novels/series.

            But LOTR was THE big seller. Somehow it caught fire with the hippies
            and counterculture folk, and older readers found surprising depth in
            the tale, writing college term papers equating the Ring with the Atom
            Bomb. In fact the popularity of LOTR inspired Ballantine to come out
            with related gear -- calendars from the Brothers Hildebrandt, calendars
            from Frank Frazetta, and art books featuring Frazetta and others like
            Kay Nielsen... then they hired Lin Carter to edit a line for them,
            "Adult Fantasy" which consisted of exactly those older stories that
            probably inspired Tolkien; forgotten terrific tales of fantasy from the
            Victorians and Edwardians. This line BOMBED!

            Lin Carter and the Ballantines parted ways in the early-mid 70s, and
            hired Lester del Rey. Del Rey found a small book, inspired at its
            origin by LOTR but really more leaning toward Edgar Rice Burroughs in
            its plot construction and fast action pace, and then del Rey hired the
            Bros. Hildebrandt to paint the cover, and interior illustrations. It
            was a little opus called The Sword of Shannara, and if you looked at
            any of the ad copy, you'll see it everywhere: "Like Lord of the Rings!"
            ... "Not since Lord of the Rings..." This book was a NYTimes
            bestseller, and the race was on. Del Rey continued his fantasy line,
            and for a long time he went always back to that mother lode, the
            Tolkienesque trilogy, out of which "Epic Fantasy" as we know it today
            was born. The Thomas the Covenant series, and others.

            Many of these books have gone out of print over the years, some
            returning; LOTR and the Hobbit have remained in print continuously
            since the 60s and LOTR, by some standards, is the best-selling book in
            the World written in the 20th century. That's the best-selling author
            of the century!

            We on this list have read tons of fantasy books. A lot of our lists
            have common titles; but there is only one title, I'd bet, that we have
            all read, and that everyone who tends toward fantasy has read: LOTR.

            Now a new boomlet is starting on JK Rowling's Harry Potter coat-tails,
            and I'll bet that a bunch of kids have started into fantasy via Mr
            Potter before finding LOTR.

            But I'll still say, "Tolkien is where it all began" -- at least as far
            as everything since 1965.

            So, there's my rant.

            pond
          • Colin
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 20, 2004
              I know...I've read "The Lions of Al-Rasaad", "The Sarantine Mosaic", and started "Tigana". I just found them all really boring. Not enough action for my liking. They should make a new genre for books like this...the fantasy melodrama. Like "chick flicks" for the fantasy genre (sorry ladies, no offense meant by that statement...used just for illustrative purposes). I know alot of people disagree with me on this, but I think Kay should have stuck with Fionavar.

              On another note, just finished Greg Keyes' "Briar King". I enjoyed it immensely. Can't wait until the sequel comes out in August. :)

              I am not sure of this but I think Kay wrote the
              Fionavar series to get his foot in the door. If you
              look at his books as he wrote them they slowly move
              from Epic Fantasy to his pseudo historical fantasy.
              It's not even historical. He takes locations, like
              Proviance, France for A Song For Arbonne to Rome for
              Sailing to Sarantium. He takes the location and time
              and spins his own story.

              http://mail.yahoo.com

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • Jane Gray
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 20, 2004
                I too love Guy's Tigana and Song for Arbonne and also Loins. I read the
                Fionavar trilogy and enjoyed it.
                But agree with you that the "real world" connection was a little clumsy. But
                my main problem with it was the characters all seemed to fit so neatly in
                the normal "fantasy" boxes,
                The characters in his later novels I found to be more rounded, less black
                and white.
                I have recently read "Last Light of the Sun" and was a little disappointed.
                Can't say excalty why, could be that I was looking forward to it so much
                that it didn't have the chance to stand up. Or it could be that I have
                recently been reading the Edda's and saga's, which of course were his
                inspiration.
                Jane
                Hippygoth

                > Strangely, while I love epic fantasy to the point of reading very
                > little else, The Fionavar Tapestry didn't do nearly as much for me
                > as the rest of Kay's work that I've read to date: Tigana and, far
                > more importantly, A Song for Arbonne. The Fionavar stuff was
                > entertaining enough, but the 'real world' connection often stood out
                > as clumsy - in fact I very nearly didn't make it past the first few
                > pages, it all seemed so contrived and shoddily put together. I'm
                > glad I persisted with it, but I still wouldn't place Fionavar
                > anywhere on the list of fantasy classics, while Arbonne would be
                > right up there near the top.
                >
                > Anyone read his latest - The Last Light of the Sun? Sounds good, but
                > I've got Lions and Sarantium to get through first. :)
                >
                > - Leigh
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • jennifermacaire
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 21, 2004
                  Fantasy is nice because there is such a broad range of books to
                  choose from. I loved LOTR trilogy, and 'The Hobbit', of course. But
                  I would also include 'The Last Unicorn', 'Sariel', and the Harry
                  Potter series to my list of favorites, along with Lloyd Alexander's
                  books and the Chronicles of Narnia.

                  Jennifer

                  www.jennifermacaire.com
                • M G
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 21, 2004
                    The 'Last Unicorn' is my all-time favorite book! And by "Sariel" do you mean 'Sabriel'? If so I love that book too! And 'Lirael' and 'Abhorsen' (the continuing books). Not too much of a Harry Potter fan, but *shrugs*. Um...Patrica A. Mickillip is also a great author.

                    ttyl
                    Mike
                    jennifermacaire <jennifermacaire@...> wrote:
                    Fantasy is nice because there is such a broad range of books to
                    choose from. I loved LOTR trilogy, and 'The Hobbit', of course. But
                    I would also include 'The Last Unicorn', 'Sariel', and the Harry
                    Potter series to my list of favorites, along with Lloyd Alexander's
                    books and the Chronicles of Narnia.

                    Jennifer

                    www.jennifermacaire.com

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    "What lies beneath is the same in man and beast, and leads always to the same end: struggle and pain and blood, victim and victor. The sword is but an echo of the talon and the fang. Call yourself man if you will, as if that were something unique and holy; but you are a beast as I am, and ever will be."