Re: Just Finished

  • Leigh L.
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2004
      > Just finished reading Simon R Green's latest Nightside novel:
      > Nightingale's Lament . It was enjoyable with some humorous parts ,
      > but I felt that the ending was too much of 'god in the machine'
      > type. It seems that every clue, meeting and back story in the book
      > connected at the end. Not that I disliked it, but sometimes not
      > everything in a book needs to be part of the solution at the end.

      Simon R. Green is one of those authors on my 'to read' list who'll
      probably never progress to my 'now reading' list, thanks to the size
      of my unread backlog...

      My own 'just finished': Pratchett's Night Watch, as usual a great
      read but still somehow not the Ultimate Discworld Novel that I'd
      been led to expect. Before that, White Silence, a Highlander series
      tie-in (I know, I know, but it was actually pretty good), and right
      now I'm hacking my way through Guy Kay's Tigana. Not quite A Song
      For Arbonne quality so far, but I'm keeping my hopes up.

      Oh, and just to confuse myself I'm steadily making my way through
      the Thieves' World series at the same time - nothing amazing but
      entertaining enough, though I'm at a point in the series now where
      I'm really starting to wish that they'd managed to get some new
      authors involved...

      - Leigh
    • sandra panicucci
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2004
        I read the Thieves World series when I still had to
        wait for the next one to be published after the first
        several books I became disillusioned with the majority
        of the stories ever making any sense. I continued to
        read them but by the end was sort of glad it was over.
        For better or for worse, and in my opinion worse.
        Sandra

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/