Just Finished

  • karl barnes
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31 6:09 PM
      Just finished reading Simon R Green's latest Nightside novel:
      Nightingale's Lament . It was enjoyable with some humorous parts ,
      but I felt that the ending was too much of 'god in the machine'
      type. It seems that every clue, meeting and back story in the book
      connected at the end. Not that I disliked it, but sometimes not
      everything in a book needs to be part of the solution at the end.

      Also, there was a chapter of a book called Dead To The World by
      Charlaine Harris from her Southern Vampire series. Has anyone read
      any of her books? From what I read, she is a lively author and the
      prose sucked me right into the story. So, it looks like another
      author that I will have to read.
    • Leigh L.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2004
        > Just finished reading Simon R Green's latest Nightside novel:
        > Nightingale's Lament . It was enjoyable with some humorous parts ,
        > but I felt that the ending was too much of 'god in the machine'
        > type. It seems that every clue, meeting and back story in the book
        > connected at the end. Not that I disliked it, but sometimes not
        > everything in a book needs to be part of the solution at the end.

        Simon R. Green is one of those authors on my 'to read' list who'll
        probably never progress to my 'now reading' list, thanks to the size
        of my unread backlog...

        My own 'just finished': Pratchett's Night Watch, as usual a great
        read but still somehow not the Ultimate Discworld Novel that I'd
        been led to expect. Before that, White Silence, a Highlander series
        tie-in (I know, I know, but it was actually pretty good), and right
        now I'm hacking my way through Guy Kay's Tigana. Not quite A Song
        For Arbonne quality so far, but I'm keeping my hopes up.

        Oh, and just to confuse myself I'm steadily making my way through
        the Thieves' World series at the same time - nothing amazing but
        entertaining enough, though I'm at a point in the series now where
        I'm really starting to wish that they'd managed to get some new
        authors involved...

        - Leigh
      • sandra panicucci
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2004
          I read the Thieves World series when I still had to
          wait for the next one to be published after the first
          several books I became disillusioned with the majority
          of the stories ever making any sense. I continued to
          read them but by the end was sort of glad it was over.
          For better or for worse, and in my opinion worse.
          Sandra

          http://messenger.yahoo.com/