Hi

  • asrivathsan
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 30, 2004
      Hi I am new... hope I can participate in the discussions
    • Lynne M Ramsdell
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2004
        Welcome. The way things have been lately, you might have to start a
        discussion. :)

        Thialynne

        --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "asrivathsan"
        Message 3 of 15 , May 3, 2004
          I want to know how Terry Goodkind is. I loved Robert jordan. I have
          heard terry Goodkind's are very similar to his. Is it true? What type
          of story does he write

          Am

          --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Lynne M Ramsdell"

        • ethiercn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , May 3, 2004
            In a message dated 5/3/2004 6:14:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time, asrivathsan@... writes:

            > I want to know how Terry Goodkind is. I loved Robert jordan. I have
            > heard terry Goodkind's are very similar to his. Is it true?
            > What type
            > of story does he write

            Goodkind's type is basically high fantasy. He is very similar to Jordan in many ways, including not knowing when to finished the series. Goodkind does create a rather believable world and his characters are well drawn. The standard story involes a realm's surive aganist the bad guy who wants to take it over.
            Goodkind also tries to do some philosphey and fighting vs. non violence, when to fight not to fight etc. How sucessful he is, is a matter of opinion. {I think he's too obivious about it}

            HOWEVER;

            IMHO, Goodkind's early novels in the series are the better novels. I got the feeling after the third or fourth book that series was being changed, expanded. To be clearer, it seemed like it was intended to be maybe three books, and then when it started to sell well, someone deicided to do more books to make more money. {It reminds of how Piers Anthony's later Xanth books aren't as good and have a feeling of tiredness about them}. In sort the later books, at least the ones I read tend to have a very loose and obivious plot. It becomes way too easy to predict what happens next. However, in fairness, I hated the fifth and sixth books so much I haven't been able to touch the series since. I thought the fifth book had too obivious an ending and that sixth book had very little in the terms of real plot {what was there could have been covered in a shorter novel. Longer doesn't always mean better}. Maybe he fixed the problems, I don't know.

            Chris
          • wendy ni
            Message 5 of 15 , May 3, 2004
              --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, ethiercn@a... wrote:
              > In a message dated 5/3/2004 6:14:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
              asrivathsan@y... writes:

              > > I want to know how Terry Goodkind is. I loved Robert jordan. I have
              > > heard terry Goodkind's are very similar to his. Is it true?
              > > What type
              > > of story does he write

              like chris, i'm a little annoyed by terry goodkind's repetitive & never ending
              series near the end, although the first two were pretty good. there is in fact too
              much philosophical lecturing style stuff & the plot starts to follow a sort of
              betrayal-suspense-climax formula. but to be fair, i don't like jordan much either.

              i think the best way to find out is to start reading! cos no one can really tell you
              what a book is like unless they think in exactly the same way as you. :p

              wendy
            • asrivathsan
              Message 6 of 15 , May 6, 2004
                Thanks for all the opinions. But i agree with wendy... you have got
                to read a book. ANyway... any other book or series that you all
                recommend? I really want to read as many as possible.

                --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "wendy ni" <wendynwendyn@y...>
                wrote:
                > --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, ethiercn@a... wrote:
                > > In a message dated 5/3/2004 6:14:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                > asrivathsan@y... writes:
                > >
                > > > I want to know how Terry Goodkind is. I loved Robert jordan. I
                have
                > > > heard terry Goodkind's are very similar to his. Is it true?
                > > > What type
                > > > of story does he write
                > >

                > like chris, i'm a little annoyed by terry goodkind's repetitive &
                never ending
                > series near the end, although the first two were pretty good.
                there is in fact too
                > much philosophical lecturing style stuff & the plot starts to
                follow a sort of
                > betrayal-suspense-climax formula. but to be fair, i don't like
                jordan much either.

                > i think the best way to find out is to start reading! cos no one
                can really tell you
                > what a book is like unless they think in exactly the same way as
                you. :p

                > wendy
              • Edwin Phua
                Message 7 of 15 , May 6, 2004
                  Frankly, I am puzzled by the comparisons. For one, Terry Goodkind's writing is a lot less complex, with far fewer subplots and characters. His worldbuidling is not quite convincing either. In 'Faith of the Fallen' and 'Pillars of Creation', his characters seem like cardboard figures, very two-dimensional.

                  It may be that both writers are indeed long winded, it does seem that Goodkind has less inspiration than Jordan, and his series was stretched out from his original three volumes.

                  One series I would like to recommend is Steven Erikson's the Malazan Book of the Fallen. Epic stuff, and gripping plots.

                  Cheers!
                  Edwin

                  > --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, ethiercn@a... wrote:
                  > > In a message dated 5/3/2004 6:14:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  > asrivathsan@y... writes:
                  > >
                  > > > I want to know how Terry Goodkind is. I loved Robert jordan. I
                  have
                  > > > heard terry Goodkind's are very similar to his. Is it true?
                  > > > What type
                  > > > of story does he write
                • Leigh Loveday
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 6, 2004
                    > One series I would like to recommend is Steven Erikson's the
                    > Malazan Book of the Fallen. Epic stuff, and gripping plots.

                    I was just about to make the same recommendation myself... :)

                    Book 1 (Gardens of the Moon) is only just out in America, as far as I know,
                    but we're up to Book 5 (Midnight Tides) here in the UK. I've only just
                    finished the third one - they take me months! - but so far the series just
                    keeps getting better and better. They're pretty massive, hard to get into
                    and you have to remember a lot of stuff from one volume to the next, but all
                    that's balanced out by ingenious world-building, characters you actually
                    care about and some of the most immersive writing that fantasy has to offer.
                    Can't recommend it highly enough.

                    But at the moment I'm reading good old Pratchett's Night Watch, which, while
                    typically great stuff, doesn't quite (for me at least) have the 'best book
                    in the entire series' vibe that I've seen so many people claim...

                    - Leigh