Any Sword and Sorcery fans?

  • volkerthemadfiddler
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
      Just wondering if anyone here was a big sword and sorcery (ex. David
      Gemmell, Robert E. Howard's Conan, etc.) fan here, and if so any
      books they would recommend.

      Volker the Mad Fiddler
    • magdandy@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2004
        i am definitely a sword and sorcery fan. i love david eddings., robert jordan
        etc.
        have you tried any of robin hobbs work, they are really good.
        hope this helps
        margaret

      • Ken Ogilvy
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2004
          --- magdandy@... wrote:
          > i am definitely a sword and sorcery fan. i love
          > david eddings., robert jordan
          > etc.
          > have you tried any of robin hobbs work, they are
          > really good.
          > hope this helps
          > margaret

          Those authors are not Sword and Sorcery. They are High
          Fantasy. Sword and Sorcery are not really big these
          days. Most of what I read is from Robert E. Howard,
          Conan etc etc.

        • karl barnes
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2004
            Ever try Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser series of books? Full of mystic mischief, sword fights and fun.

            volkerthemadfiddler <garkutch@...> wrote:Just wondering if anyone here was a big sword and sorcery (ex. David
            Gemmell, Robert E. Howard's Conan, etc.) fan here, and if so any
            books they would recommend.

            Volker the Mad Fiddler

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • volkerthemadfiddler
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 1, 2004
              --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Ken Ogilvy <kogilvy1@y...>
              wrote:

              > --- magdandy@a... wrote:
              > > i am definitely a sword and sorcery fan. i love
              > > david eddings., robert jordan
              > > etc.
              > > have you tried any of robin hobbs work, they are
              > > really good.
              > > hope this helps
              > > margaret
              > >

              > Those authors are not Sword and Sorcery. They are High
              > Fantasy. Sword and Sorcery are not really big these
              > days. Most of what I read is from Robert E. Howard,
              > Conan etc etc.

              I agree. Though I would also classify David Gemmell, and perhaps
              R.A. Salvatore's Dark Elf books as Sword and Sorcery.

              Volker the Mad Fiddler
            • Amy Harlib
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
                aharlib@...
                Definitely! Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Grey Mouser series. Michael
                Moorcock has a whole bunch of series (Elric, Runestaff, Eternal Champion,
                etc), Karl Edward Wagner's Kane series, Jennifer Roberson's Tiger and Del
                series, the Paladin by C.J. Cherryh, Tanith Lee wrote some great ones but I
                can't remember the titles!
                Cheers!
                Amy

                > Just wondering if anyone here was a big sword and sorcery (ex. David
                > Gemmell, Robert E. Howard's Conan, etc.) fan here, and if so any
                > books they would recommend.
                >
                > Volker the Mad Fiddler
              • julie strand
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
                  At 01:41 PM 4/2/2004 -0500, you wrote:my main series is a dragonlancee one
                  i call the companions from um i think its Margaret weis and some other
                  chick write it but i love them

                • ethiercn@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
                    In a message dated 4/2/2004 5:34:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    jistrand@... writes:
                    i call the companions from um i think its Margaret weis and some other
                    chick write it but i love them
                    Do you mean the Dragonlance novels by M. Weis and Tracy Hickman {who, despite
                    his name, is a guy}?

                    They are good.

                    Chris

                  • julie strand
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
                      At 07:23 PM 4/2/2004 -0500, you wrote:yeah im bad though cuz im stuck on
                      them for god i dunno how long never tried much others after i found these

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 3, 2004
                        In a message dated 4/2/2004 10:45:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        jistrand@... writes:
                        you wrote:yeah im bad though cuz im stuck on
                        them for god i dunno how long never tried much others after i found these
                        Have you read the Twins series as well?

                        Chris

                      • julie strand
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 3, 2004
                          At 08:37 PM 4/3/2004 -0500, you wrote:hmm i read some of them i think i did
                          start to branch off of the champion to the war of the twins etc but dunno i
                          had all my books get um peed on by cats so i dont have most my books and
                          hard do find at used bookstores esp when u have no extra money

                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 4, 2004
                            --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, karl barnes <priestvyrce@y...>
                            wrote:
                            > Ever try Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser series of
                            books? Full of mystic mischief, sword fights and fun.

                            Strangely I have not (though I have often seen them). Are they any
                            good? What about the 'Death Dealer' series by Frazetta?
                            Right now I am reading Etruscans (by Llywelyn and Scott) and White
                            Wolf (by David Gemmell, yea!).

                            Volker the Mad Fiddler
                          • Dr Fu Manchu
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 7, 2004
                              --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "volkerthemadfiddler"
                              <garkutch@z...> wrote:
                              > --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, karl barnes
                              <priestvyrce@y...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > Ever try Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser series of
                              > books? Full of mystic mischief, sword fights and fun.
                              > >
                              > Strangely I have not (though I have often seen them). Are they any
                              > good? What about the 'Death Dealer' series by Frazetta?
                              > Right now I am reading Etruscans (by Llywelyn and Scott) and White
                              > Wolf (by David Gemmell, yea!).
                              >
                              > Volker the Mad Fiddler

                              Wizards of the Coast, (www.wizards.com) the Dungeons & Dragon people
                              have whole lines of books about Swords and Sorcery. 'The
                              Forgotten Realms' series, which includes the Drizzt books, are
                              generally very good. I'm presently reading 'The Cleric Quintet.' Also
                              they are going to be starting a new line called 'Eberron', I believe,
                              which they describe as Sword & Sorcery with a dark twist. Also if
                              you get into the 'Forgotten Realms' books there is the 'Baldur's
                              Gate: Dark Alliance II' video game for the Xbox in which you can
                              unlock and play as both Drizzt and Artemis.
                            • volkerthemadfiddler
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 7, 2004
                                --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Dr Fu Manchu"
                                <xenopolis@y...> wrote:
                                > --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "volkerthemadfiddler"
                                > <garkutch@z...> wrote:
                                > > --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, karl barnes
                                > <priestvyrce@y...>
                                > > wrote:
                                > > > Ever try Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser series of
                                > > books? Full of mystic mischief, sword fights and fun.
                                > > >
                                > > Strangely I have not (though I have often seen them). Are they
                                any
                                > > good? What about the 'Death Dealer' series by Frazetta?
                                > > Right now I am reading Etruscans (by Llywelyn and Scott) and
                                White
                                > > Wolf (by David Gemmell, yea!).
                                > >
                                > > Volker the Mad Fiddler
                                >

                                > Wizards of the Coast, (www.wizards.com) the Dungeons & Dragon
                                people
                                > have whole lines of books about Swords and Sorcery. 'The
                                > Forgotten Realms' series, which includes the Drizzt books, are
                                > generally very good. I'm presently reading 'The Cleric Quintet.'
                                Also
                                > they are going to be starting a new line called 'Eberron', I
                                believe,
                                > which they describe as Sword & Sorcery with a dark twist. Also if
                                > you get into the 'Forgotten Realms' books there is the 'Baldur's
                                > Gate: Dark Alliance II' video game for the Xbox in which you can
                                > unlock and play as both Drizzt and Artemis.

                                Thanks. Have actually read all of the Forgotten Realms Salvatore
                                books, as well as a couple others by him. I have enjoyed them,
                                though I found the latest "The Lone Drow" IIRC a bit disappointing.
                                Can't really say why though.

                                Volker the Mad Fiddler