Mercedes Lackey/ Joust

  • sportpony
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2004
      I've just finished "Joust" by Mercedes Lackey ... I generally like
      her writing but have a problem with the forever-on-going series she
      often writes.

      I liked this one very much ... it's obviously going to be a series,
      in fact, the next one is out, "Altan" is the title ... but you could
      read Joust as a stand-alone.

      Excellent, vivid characters, well defined ... and a book with a
      beginning, middle and end ... of sorts, anyway. As I say, it was
      pretty obvious that it is going to be one of an ongoing series about
      the same person but when you got to the end of the book it felt like
      there was an end.

      Fairly predictible situation, nothing surprising about the plot or
      outcome ... but Lackey is an excellent, polished writer and the book
      enjoyable.

      Anyone else read this one ... or the sequel?

      Sharon
    • Mai Nguyen
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 25, 2004
        Hey,

        I've read Joust. And I agree with your opinion. I think most
        of Misty's works can be stand-alone novels and this was one of them.
        But I haven't read the sequel yet, no. Hopefully I'll read it soon. I
        have a huge pile of books I'm trying to get through right now, so
        it'll probably be the next month or so before I read it.

        Mai

        --- sportpony <sportpony@...> wrote:
        > I've just finished "Joust" by Mercedes Lackey ... I generally like
        > her writing but have a problem with the forever-on-going series she
        >
        > often writes.
        >
        > I liked this one very much ... it's obviously going to be a series,
        >
        > in fact, the next one is out, "Altan" is the title ... but you
        > could
        > read Joust as a stand-alone.
        >
        > Excellent, vivid characters, well defined ... and a book with a
        > beginning, middle and end ... of sorts, anyway. As I say, it was
        > pretty obvious that it is going to be one of an ongoing series
        > about
        > the same person but when you got to the end of the book it felt
        > like
        > there was an end.
        >
        > Fairly predictible situation, nothing surprising about the plot or
        > outcome ... but Lackey is an excellent, polished writer and the
        > book
        > enjoyable.
        >
        > Anyone else read this one ... or the sequel?
        >
        > Sharon
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        =====
        yahoo: fadededges
        aim: fadededges/angeloffish
        msn: fadededges@...

        (one-stop resource for all your gaming needs)

        (how much do you really know?)

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools