Re: [Fantasy_Books] Wolves...werewolves...

  • Amy Harlib
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 5 10:50 AM
      aharlib@...

      > Hey has anyone seen the movie "Brotherhood of the Wolf?" If so is it
      > any good? I have heard that it was good. The first one was the best
      > of course. First ones always are but theonly thing that kept me from
      > renting it and watching it was the fact that there is a wolf they
      > catch in the woods, a real wolf and torture it thinking that it is
      > the one who has cause havoc. I am a true lover of wolves and just
      > because I read about that, I refuse to see it. I used to sponsor a
      > wolf and well, this may be a pretty stupid reason why I don't want
      > tosee it. Is there a scene like that in the film?
      > Gilraen

      It's off camera! I loved the film! Here is my review soon to be posted at
      diversedvd.com where I have tons of reviews.
      Cheers!
      Amy

      The Brotherhood of the Wolf AKA Le Pacte Des Loups (Davis Films/Le Studio
      Canal/Universal Focus, 2002). Directed by Christophe Gans. Written by Mr.
      Gans and Stephane Cabel. Music by Joseph Lo Duca. Fight Choreography by
      Philip Kwok. Creation and SPFX of the Beast by Jim Henson's Creatures shop.
      Running Time: 142 minutes. Rated: R. (In French with English subtitles).

      Who knew he had it in him! Helmer Christophe Gans' sparse, low-budget track
      record consisted of one segment of a 3-part horror movie ("Hotel of the
      Drowned" in 'H.P. Lovecraft's Necronomicon') and the Manga-based (Japanese
      graphic novel) cult hit 'Crying Freeman'. This, combined with his lifelong
      passion for genre films somehow convinced big money to back 'Brotherhood of
      the Wolf' AKA 'Le Pacte Des Loups', Gans' ambitious historical dark fantasy,
      epic homage to all the cinematic joys that inspired him. A lush, flamboyant
      production, this movie became a huge success in his home country, France,
      and deserves to do the same here and everywhere.

      Set during the reign of King Louis XV, between 1765 and 1768 and based on
      actual events, 'Brotherhood of the Wolf' spins its wild and chilling
      conjecture
      around the accounts of 'The Beast of Gevauden', a ferocious animal that
      killed over 100 people (mostly women and children), in Southwestern France
      and terrorized the populace. Proliferating tales of an enormous wolf
      stalking the region became a national issue, especially since the events in
      question, occurring at a time when France and Britain were at war over New
      World territories, made King Louis look ridiculous. If all his forces and
      resources failed to catch one creature, how could they prevail against the
      British? Attempting to assuage public opinion, the monarch arranged for a
      fierce-looking wolf to be slain and displayed to the citizens of Paris, an
      exercise in futility, for folk kept disappearing into the maw of growing
      myths about the Beast.

      His co-written script inspired by this still unexplained series of killings,
      Gans' plot centers on an enlightenment-influenced naturalist working for
      the King, Gregoire de Fronsac (Samuel Le Bihan) and his Iroquois blood
      brother Mani (Mark Dacascos), inseparable companions after they saved each
      other's lives during the course of Gregoire's adventures in "New France".
      Under royal command to track down the Beast and stuff it for posterity, the
      pair of protagonists go to Gevauden. There Gregoire: explores the
      possibility of romance with the aristocratic Marianne de Moranglais (Emile
      Dequenne); must cope with her creepy, hostile, one-armed brother
      Jean-Francois (Vincent Cassel); befriends and allies with the
      forward-thinking young marquis, Thomas D'Apcher (Jeremie Renier); and finds
      sexual satisfaction with Sylvia (Monica Bellucci), a glamorous courtesan
      with a secret agenda of her own---all this while carrying out his mission
      too!

      This assignment proves difficult for Gregoire finds himself constantly beset
      by rampant superstition; entrenched interests; and devious power brokers
      (including sectarian factions) who perceive their influence being undermined
      by the Paris-based ruler. Suspense builds while layers of conspiracies
      connected to secret and occult rites and plots fomenting a revolution to
      overthrow the throne get revealed and all the while, despite an organized
      vast wolf slaughter, the deadly depredations continue and the protagonist
      realizes that the real beast is embodied in devious human masters
      manipulating a powerful creature to create a climate of fear to serve their
      own sinister interests.

      Featuring dazzling production values galore with its gorgeous sets,
      costumes, locations and scenery, cinematography and lovely, atmospheric,
      perfectly complementary score, 'Brotherhood of the Wolf' also contains
      numerous bouts of exciting Hong Kong-inspired martial arts that somehow
      avoid incongruity thanks to the focus, energy and expert physical skill of
      the movements. The Beast, a product of Jim Henson's Creature Shop's
      expertise, utterly convinces---its bloody business established while its
      fearsome aspect gets gradually revealed. It generates spine-tingling chills
      and gasps of emotion from the audience! The performers, all excellent and
      engaging, get eclipsed by the beautifully built, agile and adept Mark
      Dacascos who, exotic and intriguing-looking portraying a Native American,
      possesses a winning charisma and warmth in addition to his fighting prowess
      in the best role of his career.

      Gans' third feature, a stunning blend of the historical epic, martial arts
      and dark fantasy genres, despite its non-gratuitous, graphic violence
      necessary to the plot, sweeps the audience into its relentless, unfolding
      story that rarely falters at the length of nearly 2 1/2 hours. 'Brotherhood
      of the Wolf', beneath its sumptuous, period surface, raises thoughtful
      questions about the nature of bestiality, the meaning of savagery and
      explores ecological, feminist, racist and multi-cultural themes that
      transcend time and space to find relevance to contemporary concerns. This
      movie represents that rare beast---a wildly entertaining gothic extravaganza
      of heart-stopping thrills with depth, making its audiences a brotherhood
      worth joining.
    • Rickness
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 6 5:41 AM
        Hi,

        As a note, I love a lot of the operatic metal stuff. I presume you've heard
        of Tristania?
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 6 8:13 AM
          Hi Rickness,

          I have heard of them but never actually heard them. I will check out their website.

          Rusty

          Moonwarrirors: A Werewolf Novel By Rusty Nugent
          http://www.geocities.com/rustynugent/moonwarriors.html

        • Shiwolf
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 6 10:19 AM
            --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Rickness" <elheme@e...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > As a note, I love a lot of the operatic metal stuff. I presume
            you've heard
            > of Tristania?

            Gilraen
          • Rusty Nugent
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 6 2:56 PM
              Operatic metal is melodic, powerful, and beautiful. it is opera lead vocals or choir-like background vocals with metal music. No, I'm NOT talking about Limp Bizkit metal. I mean, REAL metal like Iron Maiden or OLD style Metallica, back when they were actually awesome.

              However, some bands are not really fast, but gothic,melancholy, and doomy with opera vocals in it. If you're curious, here are some bands to check out. You won't be disappointed. I promise.

              Therion (Choir-like vocals)
              Nightwish (Opera lead vocals)
              Beto Vasquez Infinity(various)
              Dark Spell (Gothic)
              Shiwolf <jdough1155@...> wrote:
              --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Rickness" <elheme@e...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > As a note, I love a lot of the operatic metal stuff. I presume
              you've heard
              > of Tristania?

              Gilraen

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 8 2:54 PM
                --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Rusty Nugent <phantumwolf@y...>
                wrote:
                > Operatic metal is melodic, powerful, and beautiful. it is opera
                lead vocals or choir-like background vocals with metal music. No,
                I'm NOT talking about Limp Bizkit metal. I mean, REAL metal like Iron
                Maiden or OLD style Metallica, back when they were actually awesome.

                > Now hey I can associate with this kind of music. I was a teen in
                the 80s and loved the music the hair metal and you name it.
                Metallica was awesome back then. Now they are like everyone else.
                If Dave Mustaine were still in Megadeth, he would be as he was in the
                80s. He did not change his image. Iron Maiden was cool. I like all
                those bands. Now I like groups like Linken Park, Nickelback (they
                are kinda like the 80s.), Saliva, Some tool and love Audioslave
                especially the song, "I am the HIghway." cool toon.
                Hey just got back from skiing by the way and what a blast. It was
                my second time. My daughter is six and she has only gone about three
                times, this being her fourth and she was skiing straight down that
                hill without snowplowing. What an awesome sight.
                Gilraen