Lackey's JOUST

  • Mai Nguyen
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2004
      Hey guys,

      I wanted to say hello to everyone on the list. I just signed
      up a few days ago, haven't been getting emails in my inbox so I
      stopped by to see what was up with that and decided to post as well.

      I'm 22 years old, living in Alabama and studying to be a
      psychologist. My favorite fantasy authors include Terry Pratchett
      (though I haven't read anything in a while), David Eddings, George
      R.R. Martin as well as Mercedes Lackey, among others. I'm a voracious
      reader and hope to get really good recommendations from this list. ;)

      For the person who asked about JOUST, I've read that book and
      I thought it was an interesting concept. Though isn't it similar to
      the Pernriders? I've never read McCaffrey's stuff, so I don't know.
      There is going to be a sequel called ALTA coming out in March, so I'm
      excited for that!

      But I'm glad to see Lackey expanding into other areas. I do
      love her Valdemar series, but I also picked up her newest book, THE
      FAIRY GODMOTHER (the launch book for the Luna series), and it was an
      excellent read. Of course, I think I'm a little biased. :)

      Anyway, that's all from me for now. I like to ramble a lot, so
      I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again soon.

      Mai

      =====
      yahoo: fadededges
      aim: fadededges/angeloffish
      msn: fadededges@...

      (one-stop resource for all your gaming needs)

      (how much do you really know?)

      http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
    • Lightning
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2004
        I just read Joust and I absolutely loved it! It's the first non-Valdemar
        book I've read by Mercedes Lackey, and I must say it was every bit as good
        as my favorite Valdemar books.

        Lightning

      • ethiercn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2004
          In a message dated 2/2/2004 4:56:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          krainwater@... writes:
          I just read Joust and I absolutely loved it! It's the first non-Valdemar
          book I've read by Mercedes Lackey, and I must say it was every bit as good
          as my favorite Valdemar books.
          Has anyone read the one she did with Eric Flint and Dave Weber {i think its
          weber}? The Winged Lion, I think the title is. I did not like it. I never
          thought that I would say that about one of her books.

          Chris

        • Shiwolf
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2004
            --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Mai Nguyen <fadededges@y...>
            wrote:
            > Hey guys,
            >
            > I wanted to say hello to everyone on the list. I just signed
            > up a few days ago, haven't been getting emails in my inbox so I
            > stopped by to see what was up with that and decided to post as well.
            >
            > I'm 22 years old, living in Alabama and studying to be a
            > psychologist. My favorite fantasy authors include Terry Pratchett
            > (though I haven't read anything in a while), David Eddings, George
            > R.R. Martin as well as Mercedes Lackey, among others. I'm a
            voracious
            > reader and hope to get really good recommendations from this
            list. ;)

            > For the person who asked about JOUST, I've read that book and
            > I thought it was an interesting concept. Though isn't it similar to
            > the Pernriders? I've never read McCaffrey's stuff, so I don't know.
            > There is going to be a sequel called ALTA coming out in March, so
            I'm
            > excited for that!
            >
            > But I'm glad to see Lackey expanding into other areas. I do
            > love her Valdemar series, but I also picked up her newest book, THE
            > FAIRY GODMOTHER (the launch book for the Luna series), and it was an
            > excellent read. Of course, I think I'm a little biased. :)
            >
            > Anyway, that's all from me for now. I like to ramble a lot,
            so
            > I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again soon.
            >

            > Mai

            Hi and welcome,

            >I don't know if this will interest you or not but I am now
            reading "The Dark Elf Trilogy" by RA Salvatore and I can not put the
            book down. It is three books in one binding and I am already on the
            third book. I plan to read "The Icewind Dale Trilogy" next by RA
            Salvatore. It is the continuing journey of my character Drizzt. I
            love the book and to Chris Peters, thanks for convincing me to try
            these books. they are Great readings and indeed fast.

            Another good book to read is "Eragon" Christopher Paolini is a great
            writer and this is his first in a series. He is writing two more
            books after this one that has to do with a dragon and a boy. You
            will enjoy it. I love it so much that I bought it on tape and
            listening to it again.
            Gilraen
          • Shiwolf
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2004
              --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Shiwolf" <jdough1155@a...>
              wrote:
              > --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Mai Nguyen <fadededges@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > Hey guys,
              > >
              > > I wanted to say hello to everyone on the list. I just
              signed
              > > up a few days ago, haven't been getting emails in my inbox so I
              > > stopped by to see what was up with that and decided to post as
              well.

              > > I'm 22 years old, living in Alabama and studying to be a
              > > psychologist. My favorite fantasy authors include Terry Pratchett
              > > (though I haven't read anything in a while), David Eddings, George
              > > R.R. Martin as well as Mercedes Lackey, among others. I'm a
              > voracious
              > > reader and hope to get really good recommendations from this
              > list. ;)
              > >
              > > For the person who asked about JOUST, I've read that book
              and
              > > I thought it was an interesting concept. Though isn't it similar
              > > the Pernriders? I've never read McCaffrey's stuff, so I don't
              know.
              > > There is going to be a sequel called ALTA coming out in March, so
              > I'm
              > > excited for that!
              > >
              > > But I'm glad to see Lackey expanding into other areas. I do
              > > love her Valdemar series, but I also picked up her newest book,
              THE
              > > FAIRY GODMOTHER (the launch book for the Luna series), and it was
              an
              > > excellent read. Of course, I think I'm a little biased. :)
              > >
              > > Anyway, that's all from me for now. I like to ramble a
              lot,
              > so
              > > I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again soon.
              > >

              > > Mai

              >Sorry, this was the wrong group when I mentioned the name Chris
              peters. He is in my other group lol. Ignore that.
              Shiwolf
            • Leigh Loveday
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 4, 2004
                > I just read Joust and I absolutely loved it! It's the first
                > non-Valdemar book I've read by Mercedes Lackey, and I must say
                > it was every bit as good as my favorite Valdemar books.

                See, now that's interesting, because while my other half enjoyed it (though
                not to the extent of the Valdemar stuff), I actually found Joust painful to
                read right up to the last 50 or so pages. The writing just felt lazy and
                patronising, which I found doubly frustrating because it's a problem I've
                never had (or suspected I'd have) with Misty's stuff before. All the "oh,
                I'm just a little boy" schtick really got tiresome, especially the endless
                repetition of "if I don't do this I'll have to go back to my evil old
                master"... it felt like it was being drilled into my head every other page.

                Fortunately, when the end was in sight and things actually started
                happening, it was as good as anything she's ever written. Shame about
                everything leading up to that. Then again, it looks like I'm in the minority
                anyway, so what do I know? :)

                > For the person who asked about JOUST, I've read that book and
                > I thought it was an interesting concept.

                Yeah, it is, though I can't help feeling she got the basic idea of 'Ancient
                Egypt with dragons' and didn't bother to flesh it out much from there, just
                transplanting the usual 'tormented youth with great destiny' story from her
                Valdemar series.

                > There is going to be a sequel called ALTA coming out in March,
                > so I'm excited for that!

                And a third one pencilled in for after that, isn't there? Sanctuary, I think
                it's called. I only hope they carry on at the same pace and quality as the
                end of Joust, and don't revert to the sad 'quick buck' standard of what went
                before...

                I haven't read Shadow of the Lion or the Andre Norton collaborations yet,
                but they're in my cupboard and on my list. :) Sacred Ground was a good
                non-Valdemar outing, though.

                - Leigh
              • Shiwolf
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 4, 2004
                  --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Lightning" <krainwater@c...>
                  wrote:
                  > I just read Joust and I absolutely loved it! It's the first non-
                  Valdemar
                  > book I've read by Mercedes Lackey, and I must say it was every bit
                  as good
                  > as my favorite Valdemar books.
                  >
                  > Lightning
                  >
                  >The book is just called "The Joust?"