Re: Philip Pullman

  • Sun Zi
    Message 1 of 41 , Jan 22, 2004
      I actually think that's why I enjoyed these books, they dealt with
      dark issues like death and separation from love.

      BUT....I've managed to find a copy of "The Science of Philip
      Pullmans His Dark Materials" by Mary & John Gribbin. It seems
      he's based a lot of his work on Quantum Physics, (the strange
      cat that wanders through the doorway from Will's Oxford is
      actually Schroedingers cat)

      curious and curiouser

      Sun

      --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Warren Ockrassa
      <nw-ebooks@n...> wrote:
      > On Jan 20, 2004, at 8:32 AM, Morwen Melda wrote:
      >
      > > Well, I can see what Pullman means by stark realism
      because while the
      > > situations and the story in and of itself isnt based in reality
      the
      > > characters, their struggles and thoughts and questions that
      Pullman
      > > raises,
      > > especially the ones that really make you stop and think about
      the
      > > nature of
      > > humanity and its willingness to believe what its told about the
      after
      > > wthout
      > > question, were written by someone wanting to write realism
      in a fantasy
      > > setting. The non-reality of the world that His dark Materials
      takes
      > > place
      > > in, I think, brings out the reality of the characters
      >
      > Which is an interesting take on it. Reality being subjective
      enough --
      > flexible enough -- that even in the context of a clear fantasy
      setting,
      > there can be a 'reality' of another type imposed on the
      characters.

      > It's also interesting to me that when a writer produces a work
      wherein
      > characters have to struggle with legitimate issues, particularly
      > internal ones, and not everyone might survive, it's called "dark"
      > something, as in dark fantasy or dark SF or whatever.
      Apparently
      > "regular" fantasy is all about sunshine, joy and everyone living
      > happily ever after.
      >
      > I'd always considered that to be "escapist", myself.
      >
      > ;)
      >
      > So I can also see why Pullman might call his books realistic.
      Nasty

    • william@wmarnoch.freeserve.co.uk
      Message 41 of 41 , Jan 19, 2007
        On 19 Jan 2007 at 12:38, Leigh L. wrote:

        > >> Has anyone else gotten sucked into Steven Erikson's Malazan series?
        > >> I was hooked after book one. Problem is that I feel like I can't
        > >> read anything else until I get through all of the (published) books
        > >> in the series because there are SO many characters and subplots.
        > >
        > > I've read the first 6 books in the series. I like them a lot,
        > > although Erikson does have some significant flaws as a writer.
        > > Books 2 and 3 are the best so far.
        >
        > I'm up to four so far, with Midnight Tides hovering fairly high on the
        > To Be Read list - I *want* to read it, but I know what you mean, it
        > does feel like a big commitment. Especially as there's no summary,
        > recap, timeline etc. in any of the books so I always feel like I'll be
        > left floundering if I don't skim through the previous book to see where
        > everyone is before starting the next...

        I'll have to re-read the series sometime, because I know I'll notice a lot of things I hadn't
        noticed on my first read through. I tried reading some of the threads on the Malazan
        forums talking about the books, but I couldn't remember a large proportion of the things
        they were talking about.

        By the way, "Midnight Tides" is a prequel to the previous 4 books and doesn't feature the
        same characters (with a couple of small exceptions), therefore don't feel you have to re-
        read any of the previous books to understand it. On the other hand, book 6 - "The
        Bonehunters" is simultaneously a sequel to the different plot threads in books 3,4 and 5
        and depends heavily on what happened in those books.

        > Very good stuff though. I'd also agree with 2 and 3 being the best so
        > far (2 in particular).

        I'd probably rater them 2, 3, 5, 6, 4, 1

        --
        William Marnoch
        william@...