Re: [Fantasy_Books] Re: Robert Jordan Series

  • Lightning
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 22, 2003
      Sorry, I don't know when 11 is coming out.

      Lightning

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 23, 2004
        >From: "Lightning" <krainwater@...>
        >To: <Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: Re: [Fantasy_Books] Re: Robert Jordan Series
        >Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:10:05 -0500
        >
        >Sorry, I don't know when 11 is coming out.
        >
        >Lightning

        I think the exact date is when hell freezes over :-)

        Actually this is a pet peeve of my, when he finished book 10 he took a year
        off and wrote, New Spring. Which is basically an expansion of his novella
        New Spring which explains the events leading up to Moraine and Lan finding
        Rand in Two Rivers.
        Personally if he needs a break from Randland then maybe he should write
        about something else

      • Sun Zi
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 24, 2004
          I have to admit, I'm really daunted about starting to read any of
          Robert Jordan's work, there's just so many of them.....

          Tell me, are they as good as I've heard or is it just hype????

          Thanks
          Sun

          > I think the exact date is when hell freezes over :-)
          >
          > Actually this is a pet peeve of my, when he finished book 10 he
          took a year
          > off and wrote, New Spring. Which is basically an expansion of
          his novella
          > New Spring which explains the events leading up to Moraine
          and Lan finding
          > Rand in Two Rivers.
          > Personally if he needs a break from Randland then maybe he
          should write
          > about something else

        • Lightning
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 24, 2004
            They are very good, but they're loooooooong...although sometimes I wish they
            were longer, as long as it didn't take him any longer to get them out,
            because then they'd take longer to read and maybe I could bear the waiting
            better.

            Lightning

            > I have to admit, I'm really daunted about starting to read any of
            > Robert Jordan's work, there's just so many of them.....
            >
            > Tell me, are they as good as I've heard or is it just hype????
            >
            > Thanks
            > Sun
            >
            > > I think the exact date is when hell freezes over :-)
            > >
            > > Actually this is a pet peeve of my, when he finished book 10 he
            > took a year
            > > off and wrote, New Spring. Which is basically an expansion of
            > his novella
            > > New Spring which explains the events leading up to Moraine
            > and Lan finding
            > > Rand in Two Rivers.
            > > Personally if he needs a break from Randland then maybe he
            > should write
            > > about something else

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Frank T
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 25, 2004
              --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Sun Zi" <eljoloki@h...> wrote:
              > I have to admit, I'm really daunted about starting to read any of
              > Robert Jordan's work, there's just so many of them.....
              >
              > Tell me, are they as good as I've heard or is it just hype????
              >
              > Thanks
              > Sun
              I think Jordan had a decent idea for a trilogy and it exploded. What
              he ended up with is fragments of crap spread all over the place and
              no idea where he is trying to go.
              FrankT
            • Becky
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 25, 2004
                > I think Jordan had a decent idea for a trilogy and it exploded. What
                > he ended up with is fragments of crap spread all over the place and
                > no idea where he is trying to go.
                > FrankT

                That just about sums it up. I've only read the first three books so far.
                And for some reason I haven't figured out yet, I'll probably read the rest
                at some point in time . . .

                Becky
              • karl barnes
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 25, 2004
                  Becky <bwarn@...> wrote:
                  > I think Jordan had a decent idea for a trilogy and it exploded. What
                  > he ended up with is fragments of crap spread all over the place and
                  > no idea where he is trying to go.
                  > FrankT

                  That just about sums it up. I've only read the first three books so far.
                  And for some reason I haven't figured out yet, I'll probably read the rest
                  at some point in time . . .

                  Becky

                  I couldn't even finish "Dragon Reborn", because so much time had passed between it and "The Great Hunt" that I was too lost.Plus, there were new characters or minor ones that were playing a more promient role in "Dragon Reborn" that I just lost interest in the book.

                • Morwen Melda
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 25, 2004
                    >From: karl barnes <priestvyrce@...>
                    >To: Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com
                    >CC: priestvyrce@...
                    >Subject: Re: [Fantasy_Books] Re: Robert Jordan Series
                    >Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 08:06:27 -0800 (PST)
                    >

                    >Becky <bwarn@...> wrote:
                    > > I think Jordan had a decent idea for a trilogy and it exploded. What
                    > > he ended up with is fragments of crap spread all over the place and
                    > > no idea where he is trying to go.
                    > > FrankT
                    > >

                    >That just about sums it up. I've only read the first three books so far.
                    >And for some reason I haven't figured out yet, I'll probably read the rest
                    >at some point in time . . .
                    >
                    >Becky
                    >

                    > I couldn't even finish "Dragon Reborn", because so much time had passed
                    >between it and "The Great Hunt" that I was too lost.Plus, there were new
                    >characters or minor ones that were playing a more promient role in "Dragon
                    >Reborn" that I just lost interest in the book.

                    Yea, the Dragon Reborn was one of the hardest to get through...I find that
                    Jordan has just created too amny chracters doing too many different things
                    and somehow he makes them all essential to the storyline so he ends up
                    spending whole books on an event or with a character that is in little to no
                    way connected with the main characters, so you just get bored and you come
                    to hate a lot of the secondary charactes (I was so glad during one of the
                    deaths I really hated that character...trying not to spoil anything). But on
                    the otherside of that, Jordan is, in escence, a good writer, he keeps his
                    characters true to themselve but still has them go through changes and he
                    keeps all the events and eveyhting staright even though it can get really
                    confusing...and as someone else on this list once said he does write one
                    hell of an ending..its just getting to that ending that so incredibly
                    difficult

                    Morwen

                  • Lightning
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 26, 2004