Re: [Fantasy_Books] My Opinion on recent subjects..as if anyone cares

  • Warren Ockrassa
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 5, 2003
      On Dec 4, 2003, at 9:15 PM, Bob spells Bob Backwards wrote:

      > I like my heroes to be unperfect. We're getting into my philosophy of
      > life,
      > but I believe that while we should search for perfection, to find
      > perfection
      > wouldbe boring as all hell. This is why I'm glad I'm not god, or,
      > maybe god
      > isn't perfect.

      Deism aside, I tend to write with characters that start in their teens.
      For much the same reason -- I like seeing them change, grow and shift
      over time, develop and mature. I like it when they fuck up and I like
      seeing how they, older and wiser, look back on their history of
      fuckups. (Kids fuck up a lot but it's nothing major. Adults fuck up
      less often, but when they do, it's usually pretty significant.)

      Some of my favorite novels do that. A character starts out one way,
      ends up another. I did that most markedly in _The Beasts of Delphos_,
      with Barris starting as a more or less self centered preteen and ending
      up as a very mature young adult.

      Stories that are about action and scenes and dialogue aren't very
      compelling to me. I'd rather have a story where I can see how the
      character changes over time, becomes changed, more solid and realized
      as a human. That's the kind'a stuff carbonates my hormones.

      Warren Ockrassa | nw-ebooks@... Publisher, nightwares eBooks
      A division of | http://www.nightwares.com/ebooks/
      nightwares LLC | http://www.nightwares.com/
    • John Romaine
      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 15, 2003
        Who knows when the sword of truth will end, all I'm saying is that Goodkind could end the whole series in one more book, where as Jordan still has many prophecies still floating around for it to end realistically in 4 or 5 more books