Re: [Fantasy_Books] My Opinion on recent subjects..as if anyone cares

  • Warren Ockrassa
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 5, 2003
      On Dec 4, 2003, at 9:09 PM, Bob spells Bob Backwards wrote:

      > the book is called, Atlas shrugged or something like that.

      Exactly like that. If you listen to the hype around Ayn Rand, you're to
      accept that _Atlas Shrugged_ is on par with _Moby-Dick_ or _Dune_ or
      some such. What it is is a magnification of the ideas in _The
      Fountainhead_.

      None of her books changes. They all use the same characters, same plot
      devices, same ideas. The only difference is word count. Ayn Rand is
      like L. Ron Hubbard in that she had one interesting philosophical idea
      and turned it into a much-overblown, hype-driven empire.

      Even if you add a thousand different instruments to "row your boat",
      it's still a silly little five-or-so note tune.

      > While I will admit that Aynd Rand, not sure of the spelling of her
      > name, is
      > a powerful author, I don't agree with her philosophies as a hole.

      Though I'll agree her philosophies ARE a hole.

      > Her
      > characerisations tend to be a bit general. All the good guys are
      > inteligent,
      > good looking, wonderful. All the bad guys tend to be pathetic, ugly,
      > and
      > just general tools.

      Don't forget her central women. Intelligent, independent, but somehow
      _unfinished_. And then they meet the Perfect Man, who happens to be the
      man that has the brilliant idea that is either crushed or stolen by his
      peers ... soliloquies abound ... the woman dithers but decides she
      needs to Stand By Him ... bla bla bla.

      I can't really understand how one woman's twisted ideal of romantic
      perfection could become a philosophy. Rand needed to get laid. That was
      really her problem. When a man needs that, he does it. When a woman
      needs it, she writes a dozen identical books and is regarded as a
      genius. Argh.

      Warren Ockrassa | nw-ebooks@... Publisher, nightwares eBooks
      A division of | http://www.nightwares.com/ebooks/
      nightwares LLC | http://www.nightwares.com/
    • John Romaine
      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 15, 2003
        Who knows when the sword of truth will end, all I'm saying is that Goodkind could end the whole series in one more book, where as Jordan still has many prophecies still floating around for it to end realistically in 4 or 5 more books