Re: [Fantasy_Books] Classic Fantasy

  • karl barnes
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 28, 2003
      Ken James <ogi8745@...> wrote:

      He actually wrote for the Pulps

      I beleive he only actually wrote one book. The rest were all short stories.

      Yeah, it wasn't until the 70s that Howard's Conan really came into his own. From Lin Carter and Spargue De Camp to Marvel comics, Conan emerged. I first read my first Conan story from the comic book called Conan and then went to the library and found the collected short stories. Though I can't stand the later versions by new authors, I believe Jordan wrote a few Conan novels.

    • GoldenApuleius
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 12, 2003
        --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "John Romaine" <rednail33@p...>
        wrote:
        > [Robt. E. Howard] wrote all of his stuff in the 1930's and died in
        1936? or was it 1933? I forget. His most memorable character was one
        that I know you have heard of. Conan the Barbarian? Also created Kull
        the Conquerer. These were not the only characters and stories he
        created though. In the brief time he was writing, he wrote alot of
        books with many different characters. What's amazing is that his style
        is amazingly crisp and pure. Not what I expected out of someone that
        died around 70 years ago. Good sword and sorcery.

        The severe length constraints that publishing magazines put on their
        writers made for tight, crisp, clean prose in the extreme, certainly
        when it came to the short stories. For example, compare Isaak
        Asimov's original "Foundation" stories to his (much later) novels
        returning to Foundation and tying it in to his other histories. The
        original stories in the book "Foundation" were almost breathless in
        their compression. 40 years later, Asimov had forgotten everything he
        ever learned, or John W. Campbell his editor ever taught him, about
        writing good stories.

        This is a *big* problem for me when I try to read "epic fantasies" -
        the authors think that the book has to be big, and meandering, and
        never tighten up their prose. Even Steven King exhibits this tendency.

        pond
      • Bob spells Bob Backwards
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 12, 2003
          Steven King can't write a good ending to save his life!!!!!
          > > [Robt. E. Howard] wrote all of his stuff in the 1930's and died in
          > 1936? or was it 1933? I forget. His most memorable character was one
          > that I know you have heard of. Conan the Barbarian? Also created Kull
          > the Conquerer. These were not the only characters and stories he
          > created though. In the brief time he was writing, he wrote alot of
          > books with many different characters. What's amazing is that his style
          > is amazingly crisp and pure. Not what I expected out of someone that
          > died around 70 years ago. Good sword and sorcery.
          > >

          > The severe length constraints that publishing magazines put on their
          > writers made for tight, crisp, clean prose in the extreme, certainly
          > when it came to the short stories. For example, compare Isaak
          > Asimov's original "Foundation" stories to his (much later) novels
          > returning to Foundation and tying it in to his other histories. The
          > original stories in the book "Foundation" were almost breathless in
          > their compression. 40 years later, Asimov had forgotten everything he
          > ever learned, or John W. Campbell his editor ever taught him, about
          > writing good stories.
          >
          > This is a *big* problem for me when I try to read "epic fantasies" -
          > the authors think that the book has to be big, and meandering, and
          > never tighten up their prose. Even Steven King exhibits this tendency.
          >
          > pond

        • amanda killgore
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 12, 2003
            Or beginning and middle.
            > Steven King can't write a good ending to save his life!!!!!

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Bob spells Bob Backwards
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 12, 2003
              hahahaha, I was being nice. In all fareness, I do like some of his work,
              just not must. depseration for example, was a really realy really horrid
              book!
              > > Steven King can't write a good ending to save his life!!!!!

            • John Romaine
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 15, 2003
                I'll drink to that!
                Steven King can't write a good ending to save his life!!!!!
                > > [Robt. E. Howard] wrote all of his stuff in the 1930's and died in
                > 1936? or was it 1933? I forget. His most memorable character was one
                > that I know you have heard of. Conan the Barbarian? Also created Kull
                > the Conquerer. These were not the only characters and stories he
                > created though. In the brief time he was writing, he wrote alot of
                > books with many different characters. What's amazing is that his style
                > is amazingly crisp and pure. Not what I expected out of someone that
                > died around 70 years ago. Good sword and sorcery.
                > >

                > The severe length constraints that publishing magazines put on their
                > writers made for tight, crisp, clean prose in the extreme, certainly
                > when it came to the short stories. For example, compare Isaak
                > Asimov's original "Foundation" stories to his (much later) novels
                > returning to Foundation and tying it in to his other histories. The
                > original stories in the book "Foundation" were almost breathless in
                > their compression. 40 years later, Asimov had forgotten everything he
                > ever learned, or John W. Campbell his editor ever taught him, about
                > writing good stories.
                >
                > This is a *big* problem for me when I try to read "epic fantasies" -
                > the authors think that the book has to be big, and meandering, and
                > never tighten up their prose. Even Steven King exhibits this tendency.
                >
                > pond

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Kit Wells
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 15, 2003
                  Only book I ever enjoyed by Steven King was " Eyes of the Dragon"

                  Kit
                  Steven King can't write a good ending to save his life!!!!!
                  > > [Robt. E. Howard] wrote all of his stuff in the 1930's and died in
                  > 1936? or was it 1933? I forget. His most memorable character was one
                  > that I know you have heard of. Conan the Barbarian? Also created Kull
                  > the Conquerer. These were not the only characters and stories he
                  > created though. In the brief time he was writing, he wrote alot of
                  > books with many different characters. What's amazing is that his style
                  > is amazingly crisp and pure. Not what I expected out of someone that
                  > died around 70 years ago. Good sword and sorcery.
                  > >

                  > The severe length constraints that publishing magazines put on their
                  > writers made for tight, crisp, clean prose in the extreme, certainly
                  > when it came to the short stories. For example, compare Isaak
                  > Asimov's original "Foundation" stories to his (much later) novels
                  > returning to Foundation and tying it in to his other histories. The
                  > original stories in the book "Foundation" were almost breathless in
                  > their compression. 40 years later, Asimov had forgotten everything he
                  > ever learned, or John W. Campbell his editor ever taught him, about
                  > writing good stories.
                  >
                  > This is a *big* problem for me when I try to read "epic fantasies" -
                  > the authors think that the book has to be big, and meandering, and
                  > never tighten up their prose. Even Steven King exhibits this tendency.
                  >
                  > pond

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • midnightmelody37@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 15, 2003
                    Hello Kit, that's the same case with me (or almost the same). The only books
                    I like by King are The Eyes of the Dragon and Salem's Lot. I like vampire
                    books.

                    Shirley
                    My site: http://www.expage.com/midnightmelody37
                    *VOTE FOR ME PLEASE*
                    http://www.donardpublishing.com/endlist03.html
                    I am #6: Fiery Passion (myth)
                    If you wish to vote for me after reading all the stories, please e-mail
                    story06@... to vote for me

                  • Kit Wells
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 15, 2003
                      I have heard good things about Salems lot from people that enjoy Vampire books. I will pick it up sometime to try it. As it is I tend to avoid buying his books after wanting to trow about 6 of them in frustration and annoyance on his writing.

                      Kit
                      Hello to you to =)

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 16, 2003
                          I think King is the best storteller writing books today? Who's your
                          favorite?
                          FrankT
                        • midnightmelody37@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 16, 2003
                            Frank, were you asking that question to me? I have read many of King's books,
                            but I didn't enjoy them, except for the 2 I mentioned...too much gore and
                            violence. I'm not too big on contemporary titles. But I love books by Anne Perry,
                            Barbara Michaels, Danielle Steel, and several more...

                            Shirley
                            My site: http://www.expage.com/midnightmelody37
                            *VOTE FOR ME PLEASE*
                            http://www.donardpublishing.com/endlist03.html
                            I am #6: Fiery Passion (myth)
                            If you wish to vote for me after reading all the stories, please e-mail
                            story06@... to vote for me

                          • Lightning
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 17, 2003
                              I have several favorites. Rowling, of course, but while she's great on plot she's not too good at writing. Now, Mercedes Lackey is another one I really like. I was re-reading The Last Herald-Mage and there was one scene, so sweet-sad that it made me cry. And this was on a re-read!
                              Those two are the best, in my opinion; there are some authors whose books I absolutely love, but their books are just popular, probably not going to last long. When I say Rowling isn't good at writing, I mean that her books are most definitely not the type I'd want to study for wording, because it's so mundane. Her writing style doesn't invoke any emotions in me. But her plot is amazingly consistent, and she develops her characters well--that is, she has a great concept, but her style is not what I would prefer.

                              Lightning

                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 17, 2003
                                On Dec 16, 2003, at 5:41 AM, xtontox@... wrote:

                                > I think King is the best storteller writing books today? Who's your
                                > favorite?

                                In general, for sheer narrative power, Ray Bradbury.

                                Warren Ockrassa | nw-ebooks@... Publisher, nightwares eBooks
                                A division of | http://www.nightwares.com/ebooks/
                                nightwares LLC | http://www.nightwares.com/