Re: Robert Jordan

  • Diamond Lightfoot
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 5, 2000
      Thanks! I'll have to get busy on that first one then
      soon. I prefer to have a number of books from a series
      before I read them. That's because if you get done
      with the first one, and want to read the second, but
      can only find the third, well, you know what I mean.

      I reread Thomas Covenant (Stephen R Donaldson)
      recently, and was going to reread Lord of the Rings,
      but thought maybe I'd wait until I had seen the movie.
      That way I can enjoy it without looking for
      differences. I prefer books to movies, although Merlin
      was a wonderful one with all the special effects.

      > According to Tor (RJ's publisher) there are at least
      > two projected books
      > in the series after The Path of Daggers (book 8).
      > And a good thing too, IMO.
      > I love The Wheel of Time, and re-read it frequently.
      >
      > The next book should be out approximately Oct/Nov of
      > 2000 (it takes RJ
      > about 18 months to write each successive book in the
      > series). So you'll
      > have time to read the others beforehand!
      >

      > Rob Kerr

      =====
      Diamond Lightfoot ICQ# 10962503
      http://www.clanofthelostdragon.com
      http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/4494
      http://messenger.yahoo.com
    • Tim Andrews
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 26, 2001
        I read the first one and a half books of Wheel of Time, and didn't decide to
        finish reading them...however for a different reason, it seems, to others.
        I HATED Rand. Loathed and detested him. Wished him to die at every turn.
        Arrogant, stubborn and stupid. And , when you start supporting the 'bad'
        guys, its not a particularly good sign
        Having said that, that was quite some time ago, and I shall give the books
        another shot. One day.
      • Vince Bowes
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 26, 2001
          Tim Andrews wrote:

          > I read the first one and a half books of Wheel of Time, and didn't decide to
          > finish reading them...however for a different reason, it seems, to others.
          > I HATED Rand. Loathed and detested him. Wished him to die at every turn.
          > Arrogant, stubborn and stupid. And , when you start supporting the 'bad'
          > guys, its not a particularly good sign
          > Having said that, that was quite some time ago, and I shall give the books
          > another shot. One day.

          My goodness, finally another reader who agrees with my assessment of Rand! I have kept reading the books mainly because I really enjoy the
          characters around Rand, but I heartily detest the hero himself... he is such a bore. Perhaps you should have stuck around though, for in
          the latest book of the series one of the Aes Sedai decides she has had enough of the little twerp and smacks him so hard his ears ring...a
          great moment in my life!

          Vince
        • ireand@iprimus.com.au
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 26, 2001

            > My goodness, finally another reader who agrees with my assessment
            of Rand!

            we are not alone! :)

            I have kept reading the books mainly because I really enjoy the
            > characters around Rand, but I heartily detest the hero himself...
            he is such a bore. Perhaps you should have stuck around though, for in
            > the latest book of the series one of the Aes Sedai decides she has
            had enough of the little twerp and smacks him so hard his ears
            ring...a
            > great moment in my life!

            Haha. Perhaps worth reading the series for. Shall look forward to
            that moment :)
          • William Marnoch
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 27, 2001
              On 26 Apr 01, at 23:28, Tim Andrews wrote:

              > I read the first one and a half books of Wheel of Time, and didn't decide
              > to finish reading them...however for a different reason, it seems, to
              > others. I HATED Rand. Loathed and detested him. Wished him to die at every
              > turn. Arrogant, stubborn and stupid.

              I've heard a few other people say the same thing, I can see their
              point although he doesn't annoy me too much but he definetely
              gets increasingly stubborn as the series goes on especially books
              7/8/9.

              > And , when you start supporting the
              > 'bad' guys, its not a particularly good sign Having said that, that was
              > quite some time ago, and I shall give the books another shot. One day.

              WOT does have better bad guys than many other fantasy series
              and "their" chapters are generally among the most entertaining
              IMO.

              --
              William Marnoch
              william@...
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 30, 2001
                Tim Andrews wrote:
                >I HATED Rand. Loathed and detested him. Wished him to die at every >turn. Arrogant, stubborn and stupid.
                Oh yes, without a doubt. Which is one reason why I keep reading,
                despite considering not exactly the best set of books in the world. I
                just want to see the little idiot diddle it up again.

                In fact I find the vast majority of the characters pains in the
                backside. I like, um, the chunky one of the three, you know who I mean,
                and the surbordinate bad guys, but the rest are pretty rubbish and very
                irritating.

              • Jazabell Onrean
                Message 7 of 17 , May 2, 2001
                  the truth is that the characters in the wot are
                  pathetic. they act like children, they are plain and
                  without any development. the story as a whole would be
                  wonderful, if it was 3 books long not that pretty
                  endless non-sense

                  --- Russell <rab121@...> wrote:
                  > Tim Andrews wrote:
                  > >I HATED Rand. Loathed and detested him. Wished him
                  > to die at every >turn. Arrogant, stubborn and
                  > stupid.
                  > Oh yes, without a doubt. Which is one reason why I
                  > keep reading,
                  > despite considering not exactly the best set of
                  > books in the world. I
                  > just want to see the little idiot diddle it up
                  > again.
                  >
                  > In fact I find the vast majority of the characters
                  > pains in the
                  > backside. I like, um, the chunky one of the three,
                  > you know who I mean,
                  > and the surbordinate bad guys, but the rest are
                  > pretty rubbish and very
                  > irritating.

                  http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                • Camilla Johansson
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 2, 2001
                    Jazabell Onrean skrev:

                    > the truth is that the characters in the wot are
                    > pathetic. they act like children, they are plain and
                    > without any development. the story as a whole would be
                    > wonderful, if it was 3 books long not that pretty
                    > endless non-sense

                    Could not have said it better myself.

                    Camilla

                    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing."

                    Jacques Anatole Thibault (1844-1924)

                  • Sidharam Drevekenin
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 2, 2001
                      Vince Bowes wrote:

                      > Tim Andrews wrote:
                      >
                      > > I read the first one and a half books of Wheel of Time, and didn't decide to
                      > > finish reading them...however for a different reason, it seems, to others.
                      > > I HATED Rand. Loathed and detested him. Wished him to die at every turn.
                      > > Arrogant, stubborn and stupid. And , when you start supporting the 'bad'
                      > > guys, its not a particularly good sign
                      > > Having said that, that was quite some time ago, and I shall give the books
                      > > another shot. One day.
                      > >

                      > My goodness, finally another reader who agrees with my assessment of Rand! I have kept reading the books mainly because I really enjoy the
                      > characters around Rand, but I heartily detest the hero himself... he is such a bore. Perhaps you should have stuck around though, for in
                      > the latest book of the series one of the Aes Sedai decides she has had enough of the little twerp and smacks him so hard his ears ring...a
                      > great moment in my life!
                      >
                      > Vince

                      I very much agree. Though I love Jordan's series myself *ducks* I REALLY hate Rand... So far as I figured, Jordan had Mat and Perrin figured
                      out... He couldn't figure out which of them he wanted to be the Dragon Reborn though, so he decided to create another character which would
                      simply be both of them put together... That's why I think he's so boring, dull, non-polerized and so on.

                      Yours, Sidharam.

                      --
                      "Like private parts are we to the Gods - they play with us for their sport!"
                      ---Lord Melchett, Black Adder II.
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 3, 2001
                        --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., Jazabell Onrean <jazabelbg@y...> wrote:
                        > the truth is that the characters in the wot are
                        > pathetic. they act like children, they are plain and
                        > without any development. the story as a whole would be
                        > wonderful, if it was 3 books long not that pretty
                        > endless non-sense

                        I think the problem a lot of people have with WOT is that it is too
                        long, and that Jordan has no idea where he is going with the book.
                      • polaino@artic.net
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 4, 2001
                          --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., "Tim Andrews" <ireand@i...> wrote:
                          > --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., Jazabell Onrean <jazabelbg@y...> wrote:
                          > > the truth is that the characters in the wot are
                          > > pathetic. they act like children, they are plain and
                          > > without any development. the story as a whole would be
                          > > wonderful, if it was 3 books long not that pretty
                          > > endless non-sense
                          >
                          > I think the problem a lot of people have with WOT is that it is too
                          > long, and that Jordan has no idea where he is going with the book.

                          And that the copies are always outlent in the libraries, and at least
                          I don't want to quit reading it, when I've already read 8 books, but
                          I don't certainly want to spend any money on it.

                          Aino
                        • Jingizu
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 4, 2001
                            --- Sidharam Drevekenin <hurak@...> wrote:
                            Vince Bowes wrote: Tim Andrews wrote:

                            > > I read the first one and a half books of Wheel of Time,
                            > > and didn't decide to finish reading them...however for
                            > > a different reason, it seems, to others. I HATED Rand.
                            > > Loathed and detested him. Wished him to die at every
                            > > turn. Arrogant, stubborn and stupid. And , when you
                            > > start supporting the 'bad'guys, its not a particularly
                            > > good sign Having said that, that was quite some time
                            > > ago, and I shall give the books another shot. One day.

                            > > My goodness, finally another reader who agrees with my
                            > > assessment of Rand! I have kept reading the books
                            > > mainly because I really enjoy the characters around
                            > > Rand, but I heartily detest the hero himself... he is
                            > > such a bore. Perhaps you should have stuck around
                            > > though, for in the latest book of the series one of the
                            > > Aes Sedai decides she has had enough of the little
                            > > twerp and smacks him so hard his ears ring...a great
                            > > moment in my life!
                            > > Vince

                            > I very much agree. Though I love Jordan's series myself
                            > *ducks* I REALLY hate Rand... So far as I figured, Jordan
                            > had Mat and Perrin figured out... He couldn't figure out
                            > which of them he wanted to be the Dragon Reborn though,
                            > so he decided to create another character which would
                            > simply be both of them put together... That's why I think
                            > he's so boring, dull, non-polerized and so on.
                            > Yours, Sidharam

                            I also have to admit that I still like Jordan's series.
                            Enough that I'll buy the new installments (in paperback)
                            and will continue to do so. I have to know how it ends
                            after all and there are some of the more minor characters
                            and one or two main characters that I like. But Rand is
                            the most unlikeable, pathetic ass of hero I've ever read.
                            Mat and Perrin's much better developed and at least showed
                            some growth. Rand just stagnated with his mind still stuck
                            in his silly 2 rivers and the sheep on his father's farm
                            and the only growth he showed was by becoming more
                            pig-headed, stupid, and arrogant. And don't forget whining
                            about everything. Maybe RJ should the three fluffheads in
                            love with him die. Maybe he'll grow up then.

                            Jingizu

                            =====
                            "The unexamined life is not worth living. The unlived life is not worth examining" - Socrates

                            "Always forgive your enemies. Nothing annoys them more" - Oscar Wilde

                          • Mike DePaoli
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 5, 2001
                              If Rand isn't evolving as a character, perhaps it is because the people
                              that surround him won't let him. The entire world depends on him to be
                              their saviour, but they also are terrified that he might be their destroyer.
                              Therefore they are always keeping him under a tight leash. Imagine how
                              you would feel if all these people have tied you up in their expectations.
                              Mat and Perrin don't have those problems because, though they are taver'en,
                              and thus very important people, they are not the ultimate taver'en, the
                              Dragon Reborn, and so there aren't as many eyes on them, and thus are
                              freer to be themselves.

                              Don't forget, Rand is also going insane. To tell you the truth, I find
                              Rand to be the most interesting of the characters, because he is the
                              darkest. I'm only continuing to read the series because I want to find
                              out what happens to him. The other characters I find to be a bunch of
                              whiny children, save Perrin, the down to earth country boy who's not
                              waving his nobility in the air.

                              --
                              Mike DePaoli
                              mikedepaoli@... - email

                              FREE voicemail, email and fax, all in one place. Sign Up Now! http://www.mybc.com
                            • Jazabell Onrean
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 6, 2001
                                well, to be completely honest i truly admire the world
                                that jordan created for the WOT- it's neither easy or
                                simple to think of something like that- i know it
                                because i'm making some efforts to write myself and
                                it's pretty hard not to takes something from tolkien
                                or jordan himself. i also adore the legends that are
                                in the WOT and the bits of information about the Age
                                of Legends.
                                but the characters are something else. they don't
                                envolve because they can't envolve. because jordan
                                makes no effort to show their envolment being to busy
                                to explain 10 time per book what a ter'angreal is and
                                why the red sisters don't have wandens. and the other
                                really annoying this is that jordan takes one shortage
                                of the his character and repeats it over and over
                                again till it becames the main characteristic of the
                                man/woman- mat's gambling, nynaeve's terrible temper,
                                perrin's modesty that looks more like stupidity and
                                etc- it is just not good enough for the whole idea of
                                the series.
                                jaza