RE: [Fantasy_Books] I'm New

  • DC
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 20, 2003
      > My favourite writers at the moment are Pratchett, Hobb and Feist.

      Yay! Another Robin Hobb fan. So you're in Netherlands? I heard that
      Dutch version of Fool's Fate is already out in Netherlands while the
      rest of the world is still waiting. It'll be out in UK next month, but
      we Americans have to wait till February next year. (Not fair!) Have you
      read Fool's Fate yet? (No don't tell me anything about it. I don't
      want ANY spoilers.)

      Anyway, welcome to our group, Margot and Morwen :-)
      DC

    • Margot Hermse
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 20, 2003
        If you are referring to the 3rd novel: yes, it's out and yes, I've read it. I couldn't leave it lying there unread :-)
        I missed a whole night sleep over it, but I just had to read it. It was a long time ago that I've read a book that I just couldn't put down for a minute. Hobb does that to me every time! That's not a spoiler, is it :-) And the book is almost twice as thick as part 1 and 2... and more important than the amount of text in it, it is not boring for a minute. I feel sorry for you that you will have to wait another five months! I wasn't aware that we had the privilege of the release. Most of the time I have to wait and wait before a book is released here.

        Margot
        > My favourite writers at the moment are Pratchett, Hobb and Feist.

        Yay! Another Robin Hobb fan. So you're in Netherlands? I heard that
        Dutch version of Fool's Fate is already out in Netherlands while the
        rest of the world is still waiting. It'll be out in UK next month, but
        we Americans have to wait till February next year. (Not fair!) Have you
        read Fool's Fate yet? (No don't tell me anything about it. I don't
        want ANY spoilers.)

        Anyway, welcome to our group, Margot and Morwen :-)
        DC

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • The Lord of Beer
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 20, 2003
          I don't know as I'd use the term more open minded. Maybe thought patterns
          are alike.
          I am more into the ambient goth music, but i do like bands like:blind
          guardian, Dream Teater, Syd Barrett, Camel, some king Crimson. The reason
          why I'm so drawn to Syd for example are a lot of his songs that have bits
          of children's stories wound through them and the fantastic bordering on
          fantasy.

          My x gf is a huge fantasy fan, and she listens to stuff like Otep, System
          of a Down, SlipNot .. <shudder>, but I don't really know as you can make a
          corilation between progressive music and fantasy. I think a lot of times
          you tend to seek out like minded people, it's a natural
          reaction. Interesting social project though.

          At 10:02 AM 9/20/03, you wrote:
          >Hello,
          >
          >I am new too. I'm from The Netherlands and I read a lot of fantasy.
          >Fantasy is a relative "new" genre here, but even before LOTR (the movie) I
          >was already years into fantasy. My favourite writers at the moment are
          >Pratchett, Hobb and Feist. Currently I am reading a Pratchett book (The
          >Globe) for the second time. I read a lot in English and this was the
          >reason why I became a member of this list, because I hoped for some good
          >tips about new authors.
          >
          >I found the question of Morwen intruiging (sorry if the spelling and
          >grammar isn't always correct, but writing in English is a lot more
          >difficult than reading it...). I am a progressive rock listener. I listen
          >to Genesis, The Flower Kings, Yes and my all time favourite Anglagard and
          >a lot of other bands. Mostly the progressive rockbands which uses lots of
          >synths, mellotron, etc. and I especially like the ones who make little
          >stories on music (like Genesis in the early days). I have always thought
          >that fantasy readers and progressive rock listeners have in common a way
          >of thinking, because the music and the books are not interesting for every
          >one.
          >I have also observed that a lot of "progressive band t-shirts" show up at
          >fantasybook gatherings like the fantasy-fair that is held here every year.
          >
          >Is it a special way of thinking? Are we more open minded?
          >
          >Margot

          Rick
          www.live365.com/stations/288021
          "Your love is a razorBlade Kiss,
          Sweet as the taste of your lips". - H.I.M
        • DC
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 20, 2003
            >> If you are referring to the 3rd novel: yes, it's out and yes, I've
            read it.

            Grrrr... I'm jealous!!! I'm tempted to order a copy from Amazon.uk.
            The shipping costs almost as much as the book itself, but I can't wait
            till February!!!

            >> And the book is almost twice as thick as part 1 and 2...

            That's cool! I've wondered how she could possibly finish the story in
            only one more book.

            Can't wait to read it!
            DC

          • Morwen Melda
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 20, 2003
              Hello

              This is kind of a coincindence but I was just trying to think of the name of
              a band a few minutes ago and Anglagard happens to be it..so thanks for that
              little bit of peace in the chaos of the dark reaches of what can only be
              refered to as my mind. i'd forgotten about Terry Pratchet. I still have The
              Colour of Magic sitting beside my bed waiting for me to read it. if you like
              Terry Pratchet you must also like Douglas Adams and if you've never read him
              I encourage you to do so..you might go as far as to say I order you to do
              so..now...yes.
              About the music, I wasnt implying that because one reads fantasy, one must
              listien to progressive rock/metal, I was just looking for kindred souls lost
              in the void (I'm having a very verbose day...I'm not sure why....meh.)
              Although I must say that I dont care what kind of music you listen,
              Nightfall and Mirror Mirror (by Blind Guardian), and Warriors of Light (by
              Freedom Call) are the best songs to listen to while driving around aimlessy
              at 4 in the mourning with the volume turned up so loud that you can't hear
              the driver honk the horn to the thirs beat during the Warriors of
              Light...chant thing. i do love that song.
              Anyhow, back to topic, despite the intimidating pile of unread material
              beside my bed, I am looking for book/author recomendations...so that I can
              make the pile down right scary as I dont really have the chance anymore to
              spend four hours in a bookstore (although to be fair i've only done that
              once and it wasnt entirely my fault). And also i was wondering if anyone
              here has read the Wheel of Time series and if so what did you think of it?
              Thats all for now.

              Morwen......."Laring one eternity"

            • Tim Andrews
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 28, 2003
                I must admit that I too thought you may well have been an aussie - I
                was unaware that Isabel Carmady is known outside of good ole Oz...

                Tim
                Your friendly list moderator
                (yes, I am still here... lurking... :p )

                --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Morwen Melda"

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 28, 2003
                  She isn't really, and my whole..uh...loving of her books is quite an odd
                  story spanning a good five years (which includes my stumbling across an
                  australian publication of Obernewtyn in a canadian bookstore which i'm
                  pretty sure violates international er..trading..regulations or something)and
                  if the american publisher doesn't get around to publishing it I will be very
                  upset. In fact I am very upset.

                  Morwen

                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 28, 2003
                    At 03:11 PM 28/09/2003 +0000, you wrote:

                    >I must admit that I too thought you may well have been an aussie - I
                    >was unaware that Isabel Carmady is known outside of good ole Oz...
                    >
                    >Tim
                    >Your friendly list moderator
                    >(yes, I am still here... lurking... :p )

                    I got a bit lost here Tim, who is Isabel Carmady?

                  • Al Griffith
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 28, 2003
                      At 09:24 AM 29/09/2003, you wrote:
                      >I got a bit lost here Tim, who is Isabel Carmady?

                      Isobelle Carmody is an Australian fantasy writer. Don't know who Isabel
                      Carmady is.

                      Al
                    • Ken James
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 23, 2003
                        Canada has different publishing agreements with different countries
                        so sometimes we Canadians get the overseas publications before the
                        Americans.

                        I know we were getting Sara Douglas books before the Americans published
                        them

                        I remember seeing a British publication of a book months before the
                        Americans
                        published the same book.