Re: [Fantasy_Books] I'm New

  • Margot Hermse
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 20, 2003
      Hello,

      I am new too. I'm from The Netherlands and I read a lot of fantasy. Fantasy is a relative "new" genre here, but even before LOTR (the movie) I was already years into fantasy. My favourite writers at the moment are Pratchett, Hobb and Feist. Currently I am reading a Pratchett book (The Globe) for the second time. I read a lot in English and this was the reason why I became a member of this list, because I hoped for some good tips about new authors.

      I found the question of Morwen intruiging (sorry if the spelling and grammar isn't always correct, but writing in English is a lot more difficult than reading it...). I am a progressive rock listener. I listen to Genesis, The Flower Kings, Yes and my all time favourite Anglagard and a lot of other bands. Mostly the progressive rockbands which uses lots of synths, mellotron, etc. and I especially like the ones who make little stories on music (like Genesis in the early days). I have always thought that fantasy readers and progressive rock listeners have in common a way of thinking, because the music and the books are not interesting for every one.
      I have also observed that a lot of "progressive band t-shirts" show up at fantasybook gatherings like the fantasy-fair that is held here every year.

      Is it a special way of thinking? Are we more open minded?

      Margot
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 20, 2003
        > My favourite writers at the moment are Pratchett, Hobb and Feist.

        Yay! Another Robin Hobb fan. So you're in Netherlands? I heard that
        Dutch version of Fool's Fate is already out in Netherlands while the
        rest of the world is still waiting. It'll be out in UK next month, but
        we Americans have to wait till February next year. (Not fair!) Have you
        read Fool's Fate yet? (No don't tell me anything about it. I don't
        want ANY spoilers.)

        Anyway, welcome to our group, Margot and Morwen :-)
        DC

      • Margot Hermse
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 20, 2003
          If you are referring to the 3rd novel: yes, it's out and yes, I've read it. I couldn't leave it lying there unread :-)
          I missed a whole night sleep over it, but I just had to read it. It was a long time ago that I've read a book that I just couldn't put down for a minute. Hobb does that to me every time! That's not a spoiler, is it :-) And the book is almost twice as thick as part 1 and 2... and more important than the amount of text in it, it is not boring for a minute. I feel sorry for you that you will have to wait another five months! I wasn't aware that we had the privilege of the release. Most of the time I have to wait and wait before a book is released here.

          Margot
          > My favourite writers at the moment are Pratchett, Hobb and Feist.

          Yay! Another Robin Hobb fan. So you're in Netherlands? I heard that
          Dutch version of Fool's Fate is already out in Netherlands while the
          rest of the world is still waiting. It'll be out in UK next month, but
          we Americans have to wait till February next year. (Not fair!) Have you
          read Fool's Fate yet? (No don't tell me anything about it. I don't
          want ANY spoilers.)

          Anyway, welcome to our group, Margot and Morwen :-)
          DC

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • The Lord of Beer
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 20, 2003
            I don't know as I'd use the term more open minded. Maybe thought patterns
            are alike.
            I am more into the ambient goth music, but i do like bands like:blind
            guardian, Dream Teater, Syd Barrett, Camel, some king Crimson. The reason
            why I'm so drawn to Syd for example are a lot of his songs that have bits
            of children's stories wound through them and the fantastic bordering on
            fantasy.

            My x gf is a huge fantasy fan, and she listens to stuff like Otep, System
            of a Down, SlipNot .. <shudder>, but I don't really know as you can make a
            corilation between progressive music and fantasy. I think a lot of times
            you tend to seek out like minded people, it's a natural
            reaction. Interesting social project though.

            At 10:02 AM 9/20/03, you wrote:
            >Hello,
            >
            >I am new too. I'm from The Netherlands and I read a lot of fantasy.
            >Fantasy is a relative "new" genre here, but even before LOTR (the movie) I
            >was already years into fantasy. My favourite writers at the moment are
            >Pratchett, Hobb and Feist. Currently I am reading a Pratchett book (The
            >Globe) for the second time. I read a lot in English and this was the
            >reason why I became a member of this list, because I hoped for some good
            >tips about new authors.
            >
            >I found the question of Morwen intruiging (sorry if the spelling and
            >grammar isn't always correct, but writing in English is a lot more
            >difficult than reading it...). I am a progressive rock listener. I listen
            >to Genesis, The Flower Kings, Yes and my all time favourite Anglagard and
            >a lot of other bands. Mostly the progressive rockbands which uses lots of
            >synths, mellotron, etc. and I especially like the ones who make little
            >stories on music (like Genesis in the early days). I have always thought
            >that fantasy readers and progressive rock listeners have in common a way
            >of thinking, because the music and the books are not interesting for every
            >one.
            >I have also observed that a lot of "progressive band t-shirts" show up at
            >fantasybook gatherings like the fantasy-fair that is held here every year.
            >
            >Is it a special way of thinking? Are we more open minded?
            >
            >Margot

            Rick
            www.live365.com/stations/288021
            "Your love is a razorBlade Kiss,
            Sweet as the taste of your lips". - H.I.M
          • DC
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 20, 2003
              >> If you are referring to the 3rd novel: yes, it's out and yes, I've
              read it.

              Grrrr... I'm jealous!!! I'm tempted to order a copy from Amazon.uk.
              The shipping costs almost as much as the book itself, but I can't wait
              till February!!!

              >> And the book is almost twice as thick as part 1 and 2...

              That's cool! I've wondered how she could possibly finish the story in
              only one more book.

              Can't wait to read it!
              DC

            • Morwen Melda
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 20, 2003
                Hello

                This is kind of a coincindence but I was just trying to think of the name of
                a band a few minutes ago and Anglagard happens to be it..so thanks for that
                little bit of peace in the chaos of the dark reaches of what can only be
                refered to as my mind. i'd forgotten about Terry Pratchet. I still have The
                Colour of Magic sitting beside my bed waiting for me to read it. if you like
                Terry Pratchet you must also like Douglas Adams and if you've never read him
                I encourage you to do so..you might go as far as to say I order you to do
                so..now...yes.
                About the music, I wasnt implying that because one reads fantasy, one must
                listien to progressive rock/metal, I was just looking for kindred souls lost
                in the void (I'm having a very verbose day...I'm not sure why....meh.)
                Although I must say that I dont care what kind of music you listen,
                Nightfall and Mirror Mirror (by Blind Guardian), and Warriors of Light (by
                Freedom Call) are the best songs to listen to while driving around aimlessy
                at 4 in the mourning with the volume turned up so loud that you can't hear
                the driver honk the horn to the thirs beat during the Warriors of
                Light...chant thing. i do love that song.
                Anyhow, back to topic, despite the intimidating pile of unread material
                beside my bed, I am looking for book/author recomendations...so that I can
                make the pile down right scary as I dont really have the chance anymore to
                spend four hours in a bookstore (although to be fair i've only done that
                once and it wasnt entirely my fault). And also i was wondering if anyone
                here has read the Wheel of Time series and if so what did you think of it?
                Thats all for now.

                Morwen......."Laring one eternity"

              • Tim Andrews
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 28, 2003
                  I must admit that I too thought you may well have been an aussie - I
                  was unaware that Isabel Carmady is known outside of good ole Oz...

                  Tim
                  Your friendly list moderator
                  (yes, I am still here... lurking... :p )

                  --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Morwen Melda"

                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 28, 2003
                    She isn't really, and my whole..uh...loving of her books is quite an odd
                    story spanning a good five years (which includes my stumbling across an
                    australian publication of Obernewtyn in a canadian bookstore which i'm
                    pretty sure violates international er..trading..regulations or something)and
                    if the american publisher doesn't get around to publishing it I will be very
                    upset. In fact I am very upset.

                    Morwen

                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 28, 2003
                      At 03:11 PM 28/09/2003 +0000, you wrote:

                      >I must admit that I too thought you may well have been an aussie - I
                      >was unaware that Isabel Carmady is known outside of good ole Oz...
                      >
                      >Tim
                      >Your friendly list moderator
                      >(yes, I am still here... lurking... :p )

                      I got a bit lost here Tim, who is Isabel Carmady?

                    • Al Griffith
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 28, 2003
                        At 09:24 AM 29/09/2003, you wrote:
                        >I got a bit lost here Tim, who is Isabel Carmady?

                        Isobelle Carmody is an Australian fantasy writer. Don't know who Isabel
                        Carmady is.

                        Al
                      • Ken James
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 23, 2003
                          Canada has different publishing agreements with different countries
                          so sometimes we Canadians get the overseas publications before the
                          Americans.

                          I know we were getting Sara Douglas books before the Americans published
                          them

                          I remember seeing a British publication of a book months before the
                          Americans
                          published the same book.