Just finished

  • karl barnes
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 27, 2003
      I just finished reading this fantastic novel from Jude Fisher called
      Sorcery Rising. A very Martin-esque type of novel with magic,
      intrigue, war and characters that you root for and hate with a
      passion. Sorcery Rising is the first book of Fisher's Fools Gold
      trilogy(?). I can't wait for the next installment!

      Oh, someone said something about Stephen Donaldson and Thomas
      Covenant series, I loved the trilogies! I found the character Thomas
      Covenant to be a very complex character with faults and frailities,
      but at the heart of the character a willingness to sacrifice himself
      for the Land and people that he loved. Sure, he did some very evil
      things, but his journey through the Land was memorizing and
      thrilling. The novels had some incredible characters like Saltheart
      Foamfollower, Banner, Linden Avery, Mhoram and tons of other
      fascinating and compelling characters.
    • karl barnes
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 17, 2003
        I,Lucifer by Glen Duncan was unpredictable, yet strangly predictable.
        The ending ended the way that I thought it would, but the journey to
        the ending was wildly unpredictable. Duncan's use of Lucifer was
        satirical and honest. He didn't try to make Lucifer overly
        sympathetic, but a realized enitity. A character of wit and wisdom. I
        enjoyed the commentaries by Lucifer and his supporting characters.
        The joy of ALL things in life flowed through the novel, the smells,
        the tastes, the whole of life. I highly recommend this novel.
      • dandebono
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 23, 2003
          Yes, I agree with you.

          Lots of things (and people) are predicatable in their
          unpredicatability.

          Dan
          www.FantasyReaders.com
          Free Interactive Adventures
          Trade Paperback Giveaways

          --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "karl barnes"
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 30, 2003
            Finished reading Nick O'Donohoe's The Magic and The Healing , it's a
            nice twist on the coming to another land type fantasy, but instead of
            a warrior or prophetized person coming to a land to save it, the
            people who come are Veterinarian students.

            Some nice characterizations, but the book wasn't fantastic enough.
            The land, which the students cross over to, is called The Crossroads.
            Here is where the lonely and unloved come, creatures of mythology and
            others. B J Vaughn is dying of a rare disease and coming to
            Crossraods is her last chance for a cure from the disease and from
            herself.

            The story unfolds with healing sick or injured creatures of
            mythological origins and should have stayed there, but we have an
            invasion brewing and the students get caught up in it. While they are
            healing, the story is interesting and fun, but once the invasion
            starts to get going, the story starts to sag and be confusing. The
            ending, is both lame and happy. Lame, by way of how the invaders were
            repeled and happy that there was some gowth obtained by the
            characters. I might try to read the second book in this(of course)
            trilogy.

            Now reading Andrew Sinclair's Gog . A weird and psychodelic 70s novel.
          • Lynne M Ramsdell
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
              As far as I know there are only the two books by O'Donohoe. You
              wouldn't happen to have a title for the third would you?
              Thialynne

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 5, 2003
                Finished the latest from Jan Siegel called The White Witch . It is
                the third novel in a series of novels dealing with Fern Capel, a
                young witch and her connections to Atlantis. The first book,
                Prospero's Children ,dealt with Fern's begining surge of witchood and
                how Atlantis was the begining point for all witches. Then came the
                more action packed,The Dragon Charmer , where Fern becomes
                apprenticed against her will to Morgus(Morgause), the twin to Morgun
                (Morgaine Le Fey) and learns more about her power and her destiny.

                In this seemingly final novel in the series, Fern has a decision to
                make: to either embrace her power and slowly become like the power
                mad Morgus or give it up. You won't guess, what she chooses and the
                way that Siegel handled it, it comes as no surprise.

                I liked all three novels though Prospero's Children is my favorite.
                If you haven't tried these novels, I urge you to give them a try.
                Very well thought out and impressive novels.
              • Morwen Melda
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 8, 2003
                  I read and loved Prospero's Children but I never really got into The Dragon
                  Charmer...I dont think I got past the fourth chapter but thats because I
                  bought the books as a three in one trilogy and well, me being stupid old me,
                  read the ending decided I didnt like it and stopped reading. A fatal flaw of
                  mine that I really should correct. But I still have the books so you never
                  know I might read them some day.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 21, 2003
                    Had to finish the trilogy
                    Finished reading The Way of the Rose by Valery Leith and have to
                    say: HUH?!?! The novel or I should say, the trilogy never really
                    meshed. There are too many different stories and sub-plots that they
                    seem to lose the reader i.e. me. The three main characters Tarquin,
                    Istar and Jaya stories are totally seperate from the rest of the
                    novel as are the stories containing other characters like Liuka the
                    byrdgirl and Pallo, well most of the secondary characters.

                    The novels could've been done as one book, instead of three. And
                    since this was a fantasy about time travel, alot of things got
                    muddled and trying to remember what had happened before got to be a
                    chore.Characters would be introduced and seem to be important to the
                    plot of the story and then be left alone and disappear,until the
                    very end and they just happen to play a part in solving things.

                    I didn't enjoy the trilogy, but I was interested enough to want to
                    see what was what. And though I think that I have the gist of
                    things, I still wonder if I do.

                    Anyway, the next novel for me to read is:Brothers to Demons,
                    Brothers to Gods by Jack Williamson.
                  • pamlou1@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 26, 2007
                      I just finished Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings. It's good but I'm getting
                      tired of waiting to find out who and what Garion is. Will I find out in Queen
                      of Sorcery? Without spoilers, do I have to read another whole book to find
                      out? I'm not known for my patience :)

                      Pam from Texas
                      So many books and emails
                      So little time
                      myspace.com/Pamlouvamp

                    • William C. Garthright
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 26, 2007
                        > I just finished Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings. It's good but I'm getting tired of waiting to find out who and what Garion is. Will I find out in Queen of Sorcery? Without spoilers, do I have to read another whole book to find out?

                        It's pretty easy to guess. I don't remember exactly when Garion finds
                        out for sure, but you should certainly know quite early in the series.
                        If you don't know by now, then I would think you will in the next volume.

                        Frankly, I can't believe you can read the first volume and then ask if
                        you "have to read another whole book" in the series. Maybe it's just not
                        for you, because I couldn't put it down. As others have noted, there's
                        nothing particularly unique about the series, and I don't see any real
                        puzzle to it. It's just an engaging adventure with characters that are
                        very easy to like. So I guess I don't understand about your lack of
                        patience. It didn't seem to be that kind of story to me.

                        Well, we all have different tastes. Maybe this isn't for you. No big
                        deal, if that's the case.

                        He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends. - Oscar Wilde
                      • pamlou1@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 26, 2007
                          In a message dated 3/26/2007 6:13:32 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                          billg@... writes:

                          Frankly, I can't believe you can read the first volume and then ask if
                          you "have to read another whole book" in the series. Maybe it's just not
                          for you, because I couldn't put it down

                          No, it's not that I'm not liking it; I am. I just want to know what the
                          secret is and
                          it's interfering with my enjoyment of the here and now. I have a pretty good
                          idea what the secret is but I want him to know. He is so frustrated because
                          nobody will tell him anything and I'm frustrated with him. Eddings did a good
                          job of making me feel empathy for Garion. Believe me, I'm having no problem
                          going straight to Queen of Sorcery. I'm just identifying with Garion a
                          little too
                          much :)

                          Pam from Texas
                          So many books and emails
                          So little time
                          myspace.com/Pamlouvamp

                        • William C. Garthright
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 26, 2007
                            > I have a pretty good idea what the secret is but I want him to know. He is so frustrated because nobody will tell him anything and I'm frustrated with him. Eddings did a good job of making me feel empathy for Garion. Believe me, I'm having no problem going straight to Queen of Sorcery. I'm just identifying with Garion a little too much :)

                            Ah, I understand. Well, in that case,... he does learn at least part of
                            the "secret" in Queen of Sorcery, as I recall. That's the most I can
                            tell you. There are a number of surprises for Garion (not really for the
                            reader), and you're right, no one wants to tell him anything. So it
                            takes him awhile - more volumes - before he learns everything. But I
                            suspect you'll be much less frustrated after the second book in the series.

                            I'll be interested to hear what you think of them when you get to that
                            point. Have fun!

                            The general root of superstition is that men observe when things hit,
                            and not when they miss, and commit to memory the one, and pass over the
                            other. - Sir Francis Bacon