Re: Favorite books that no one has heard of

  • melanie_m.rm
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 7, 2003
      Have you read the sequal? Queen of Attolia. I thought that it was
      better than The Thief. I haven't heard of the seer and the sword.
      I've also read the bridge of birds and it's sequal story of the stone
      but I haven't been able to find the third in the series. My
      favourite books that no one's hear of are Delia Marshall Turner's
      Nameless Magery and Swords and Spells. Also anything by James Alan
      Gardner or Diana Wynne Jones (now becoming more well known).
      Melanie
      Currently reading Phules Paradise

      --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Lightning" <krainwater@c...>
      wrote:
      > One of my favorite books is The Thief, by Meghan Whalen Turner (I
      probably butchered that name.) Another is The Seer and the Sword, by
      Victoria Hanley. Anyone else ever read them?

      > "Sometimes the mule is smarter." ~Egwene

    • Amy Harlib
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8, 2003
        aharlib@...
        It was a trilogy and I loved them too!
        Amy

        > I have a book that i love too that no one has read either so i
        > thought i would add it to your thread, great idea!:)
        >
        > Barry Hughart writes a series of books set in Ancient China, the
        > first book is called "Bridge of Birds" and is one of my favourite
        > books of all time. The main character, Number Ten Ox, is sent by his
        > village to look for someone who can save the children of Ku-Fu from a
        > mysterious illness. He finds Master Li Kao however who is a most
        > unsavoury sort and high adventure unfolds, leading them to meet some
        > wonderful and terrifying characters.
        >
        > This books is mystery, magic, adverture and who-dunnit all in one.
        > Hughart writes with a humour much like Terry Pratchett but with a
        > storyline that brings all the random occurrences and fantastic events
        > together at the end in one of those "Of course! Why didn't i see it
        > before!?!" type moments.
        >
        > As you can tell i love this book and thoroughly recommend it to all;)
        >
        > Arianwen

      • Lightning
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 8, 2003
          I've read Queen of Attolia once, and it was good. I own The Thief and have read it several times, though not as many as the David Eddings books.

          wrote:
          > One of my favorite books is The Thief, by Meghan Whalen Turner (I
          probably butchered that name.) Another is The Seer and the Sword, by
          Victoria Hanley. Anyone else ever read them?

          > "Sometimes the mule is smarter." ~Egwene

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • ~*Arianwen*~
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 9, 2003
            It's always good to find some fellow fans, especially when you think
            you are the only one,lol.

            I have two of three in Hugharts trilogy, #1 Bridge of Birds and #3
            Eight Skilled Gentlemen. I managed to get these from second-hand
            book stores as i don't think they are in-print anymore which is a
            shame.

            Arianwen
            Currently reading: A Storm of Swords, George R.R. Martin