Re: [Fantasy_Books] Re: Hello! I'm new

  • Starrider
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 1, 2003
      No, I haven't....
      Can you give me a little refer?...
      I'll try to find it, if it sound ok!!!!....

      Starrider

      outtagaspublishing <outtagaspublishing@...> wrote:
      Have you ever tried Roger Zelazny's Amber series?

      Fred Quattrone, Author, Ultra Earth Series
      Free Post Apocalyptic/Fantasy/Science Fiction stories at:
      www.OuttaGas.com

      --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Starrider <starrider_03@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hey!!!
      > I'm into the darker side too, but the books that I'll suggest is
      not about the dark side... If you like fantasy, I think allready
      you've read, but just in case you hasn't: The Golden Kompas by
      Phillip Pullman and the next two in the triology...

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Live life fully... You only have one...
    • Warren Ockrassa
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 1, 2003
        On Tuesday, Jul 1, 2003, at 11:45 America/Chicago, Starrider wrote:

        > No, I haven't....
        > Can you give me a little refer?...
        > I'll try to find it, if it sound ok!!!!....

        Philip Pullman:

        _The Golden Compass_
        _The Subtle Knife_
        _The Amber Spyglass_

        Fantasy with a distinctly dark edge to it, and I think fairly well
        written. It would seem others agree as well. In the US they're
        categorized as juvenile fiction, which doesn't really do them justice.
        They're definitely crossover titles that can appeal to adults as well.

        Warren Ockrassa | nw-ebooks@... Publisher, nightwares eBooks
        A division of | http://www.nightwares.com/ebooks/
        nightwares LLC | http://www.nightwares.com/
      • Starrider
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 1, 2003
          The Amber Spyglass... Is that what you mean about the amber series?...
          I didn't know that was the english name....

          Is it about Lyra and .... What's his name?....
          They are from two different worlds... Lyra has a daimon wich she can't go more than a few steps away from... But then she has to go away an finds that they still can love each other....
          And the other guy comes from our world but gets a daimon later.... ????

          Starrider

          Warren Ockrassa <nw-ebooks@...> wrote:
          On Tuesday, Jul 1, 2003, at 11:45 America/Chicago, Starrider wrote:

          > No, I haven't....
          > Can you give me a little refer?...
          > I'll try to find it, if it sound ok!!!!....

          Philip Pullman:

          _The Golden Compass_
          _The Subtle Knife_
          _The Amber Spyglass_

          Fantasy with a distinctly dark edge to it, and I think fairly well
          written. It would seem others agree as well. In the US they're
          categorized as juvenile fiction, which doesn't really do them justice.
          They're definitely crossover titles that can appeal to adults as well.

          Warren Ockrassa | nw-ebooks@... Publisher, nightwares eBooks
          A division of | http://www.nightwares.com/ebooks/
          nightwares LLC | http://www.nightwares.com/

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 1, 2003
            On Tuesday, Jul 1, 2003, at 12:22 America/Chicago, Starrider wrote:

            > The Amber Spyglass... Is that what you mean about the amber series?...

            Ah, no, the Amber series is by Roger Zelazny. There are more books in
            it than I was aware of at first. Ten, in fact. They're collected in
            _The Big Book of Amber_.

            > Is it about Lyra and .... What's his name?....

            The Pullman books are about Lyra and Will Parry, yes. That's not the
            same as Zelazny's Amber series, though. Pullman apparently refers to
            his trilogy as the "His Dark Materials" series.

            Having fun yet...? ;)

            Warren Ockrassa | nw-ebooks@... Publisher, nightwares eBooks
            A division of | http://www.nightwares.com/ebooks/
            nightwares LLC | http://www.nightwares.com/
          • Kali
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 1, 2003
              _The Great Book of Amber_. It is big, but it's not called "The Big Book of
              Amber."

              Lightning

              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 1, 2003
                On Tuesday, Jul 1, 2003, at 16:10 America/Chicago, Kali wrote:

                > _The Great Book of Amber_. It is big, but it's not called "The Big
                > Book of
                > Amber."

                Ah yes, you're right. Clearly the title wasn't chosen by marketing
                people or it would have been _The Really Stupendously Fantastic Book of
                Amber_, which surely couldn't be confused with "big" at all. :D

                Warren Ockrassa | nw-ebooks@... Publisher, nightwares eBooks
                A division of | http://www.nightwares.com/ebooks/
                nightwares LLC | http://www.nightwares.com/
              • Jessica Rydill
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 1, 2003
                  --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Warren Ockrassa <nw-
                  ebooks@n...> wrote:
                  > On Tuesday, Jul 1, 2003, at 16:10 America/Chicago, Kali wrote:
                  >
                  > > _The Great Book of Amber_. It is big, but it's not called "The
                  Big
                  > > Book of
                  > > Amber."
                  >
                  > Ah yes, you're right. Clearly the title wasn't chosen by marketing
                  > people or it would have been _The Really Stupendously Fantastic
                  Book of
                  > Amber_, which surely couldn't be confused with "big" at all. :D

                  How about "The Bumper Book of Amber"?

                  Jessica

                  :D
                • Kali
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 1, 2003
                    lol.

                    Lightning

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 2, 2003
                      I think I have it now... Phillip Pullman's trilogy and The Big Book of Amber are two different series but they just look like eachother....
                      I'll try to get The Big Book of Amber by Zelazny at the library when I've got the time... Unfortunately I have to work.... I hate work but I need the money...

                      Starrider

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 2, 2003
                        It's The Great Book of Amber. Thank you kindly.

                        Lightning

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 2, 2003
                          Paging Roger Zelazny!

                          (The trouble is now I'm going to giggle every time I SEE the darned
                          book).

                          Although seriously, I've heard it's wonderful.

                          Jessica

                          --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Kali" <krainwater@c...> wrote:
                          > It's The Great Book of Amber. Thank you kindly.
                          >
                          > Lightning

                        • Starrider
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                            The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny....

                            Kali <krainwater@...> wrote:It's The Great Book of Amber. Thank you kindly.

                            Lightning

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                              It is great. I think I'll go bug my sister until she lets me read it again.

                              Lightning