HI

  • Andrea Orel S. Valle
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 5, 2003
      Hi! I'm new.

      anyone reading fantasy ebooks or PDA fantasy books?

    • Ken James
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 5, 2003
        >From: "Andrea Orel S. Valle" <drwawi@...>
        >To: Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Fantasy_Books] HI
        >Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 04:16:19 -0700 (PDT)
        >
        >Hi! I'm new.
        >
        >anyone reading fantasy ebooks or PDA fantasy books?

        I never really got into PDA books. I have several I have downloaded
        but it feels real strange reading something without paper to feel.

      • JennaKay Francis
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 5, 2003
          I am! I've read some fairly good ones lately too! I have an EBM and I LOVE it! I have about 8 novels on there right now - all paranormal of some kind. Not sure what you're looking for in the way of plot, but ask and I shall speak. *G*

          Jenna

          Inside a Snail's Shell - 2003 EPPIE Finalist Writers Exchange Ebooks
          Children's Picture Books - Writers Exchange Ebooks - http://www.writers-exchange.com
          Fantasy Romance - Dark Fantasy - Amber Quill Press http://amberquill.com
          Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/jennakayfrancis

          anyone reading fantasy ebooks or PDA fantasy books?

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • DC
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 5, 2003
            > Hi! I'm new.

            Hello, Andrea! Nice to have you here :-)

            > anyone reading fantasy ebooks or PDA fantasy books?

            I have a PocketPC and have read a few e-books on it, mostly classics I
            downloaded from University of Virginia's E-book Library (
            <http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/ebooks/ebooklist.html>
            http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/ebooks/ebooklist.html ) and some digital
            editions of famous authors' books.

            I don't like the cheap feel of mass market paperbacks, so when it's a
            choice between mmp or e-book, I pick e-book. I wish more books were
            available in digital format.

            DC

          • JennaKay Francis

              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 6, 2003
                Thanks, Jenna. :-) I've looked at some e-publishers, but so far no
                books have caught my interest. But I'll look again. :-) Which
                publishers do you recommend?

                DC

              • JennaKay Francis
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 6, 2003
                  Well, I'm assuming that since you're on a fantasy list, you'll like fantasy. *g* I just read several good ones - at least I liked them.

                  Three were from Writers Exchange Ebooks at - http://www.writers-exchange.com

                  The Tenth Ghost - not really fantasy, but paranormal
                  Prince of Shadows - listed as a YA but really a great read
                  Lost in the Shadows - second book - again listed as YA but a great read

                  The author is Jennifer St Claire. There are also several other fantasy authors there. I'll have a book coming out in the fantasy romance category soon with the same company. It's not really a romance though, since the hero and the heroine don't even get together until the very end. But it has romantic overtones.

                  Also, check out Novel Books Inc. at http://www.novelbooksinc.com/ I can personally recommend the following authors:

                  PhyllisAnn Welsh - The Binding, The Choosing
                  Rie Sheridan - The Blood That Binds
                  Elaine Corvidae - Winters Orphans
                  Gracie McKeever - Desert Dreams

                  Also check out:
                  http://www.echelonpress.com/index2.htm
                  http://www.meishamerlin.com
                  http://www.mundania.com
                  http://www.newconceptspublishing.com
                  http://www.zumayapublications.com
                  http://amberquill.com

                  There are tons more, but these are places I've visited. And go to http://www.sample-readers.com where you can read the first chapter of a bunch of different kinds of books. And check out Ebook palace where there have hundreds of listings http://www.ebookpalace.com

                  That should get you started! *G*

                  jenna

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 6, 2003
                    > That should get you started!

                    Oh, boy! Yes, this should get me "started" <LOL> Thanks, Jenna! :-)

                    DC

                  • Andrea Orel S. Valle
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 7, 2003
                      WOW!!

                      I'm astounded by the replies I got about ebooks and PDA storiess! Thank you so much! It's going to take some time to go through all the websites you've shares, but I'm really excited about going through them.

                      Actually, I like paperbacks better than ebooks because it's easier to go back to pages / scenes that I like. It's also more permanent (a fall, and my PDA gets amnesia, and I go crazy). I'm also a kind of collector. I love buying books... printed on paper.

                      However, they're not so cheap. And with fantasy writers tending to write more than one story about a theme / character / etc., it really makes my wallet cry. And also, a lot of the good titles aren't vailable here in my country, the Philippines, unless I order them, in which case they'll cost twice the bookstand price. I've always wanted to bonk the people who decide which fantasy books to sell en masse here. Theydon't complete the seires, and they tend to buy the same books shipment after shipment.

                      So I've decided to use the internet to find electronic fantasy books. But I have not been very successful... until I met you.

                      Thanks again :)

                      Andrea

                      P.S.

                      To the girl from the Netherlands who just joined,

                      I sort of write stories too, but they're still all in my head. But I'm good at editting. If you want, you can send your stories to me, and I can point out grammatical errors, and other stuff like that :)

                      Andrea

                    • JennaKay Francis

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 7, 2003
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 7, 2003
                            To unsubscribe, send a blank email to Fantasy_Books-
                            unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                            --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, guillermo compte
                            <radiogutenberg@y...> wrote:

                            > http://calendar.yahoo.com
                          • Ken James
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 8, 2003
                              >From: "Tim Andrews" <ireand@...>
                              >To: Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com
                              >Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 02:58:12 -0000
                              >
                              >To unsubscribe, send a blank email to Fantasy_Books-
                              >unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                              >

                              >--- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, guillermo compte
                              ><radiogutenberg@y...> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > __________________________________

                              Also isn't there a quick thing in the Yahoo Groups Menu.....

                              Basically log into Yahoo Groups then point and click

                            • ccgreenman
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 9, 2003
                                I've been reading this thread with lots of interest. I read so many
                                books that paperback prices (even used) are starting to hurt, and my
                                library never has what I want. I have a Palm 105m and would love to
                                get some books to read on it, but I just use the thing for memos and
                                the calendar and have not loaded any new software or anything on it.
                                Can someone reply to be (off list if you think that's best) and tell
                                me where to start. I don't even know if that model will handle
                                ebooks because it's an older, discontinued model. Some of my
                                questions are...What software do I need to download? Is it freeware
                                or do I have to buy it? Will my model support ebooks? etc. (you get
                                the idea).

                                I will understand your explanation. I'm not a computer idiot, just
                                don't know about the palm.

                                thanks - Cori

                                BTW - Just finished "The Warlock in Spite of Himself" (Can't remember
                                the author, book is at home). It was OK. Light and fun.
                                Interesting mix of fantasy and science. The author has written 8 or
                                so in the series, but I'm not sure he can sustain my interest that
                                long. I picked up #2 the other day and will give it a try before I
                                get any more in the series.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 9, 2003
                                  I downloaded Mobipocket.
                                  www.mobipocket.com

                                  I have an older model Handspring and this seems to do the trick

                                  There are free e-books all over the place.

                                  >From: "ccgreenman" <ccgreenman@...>
                                  >To: Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com
                                  >Subject: [Fantasy_Books] Re: WOW!
                                  >Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 17:21:26 -0000
                                  >
                                  >I've been reading this thread with lots of interest. I read so many
                                  >books that paperback prices (even used) are starting to hurt, and my
                                  >library never has what I want. I have a Palm 105m and would love to
                                  >get some books to read on it, but I just use the thing for memos and
                                  >the calendar and have not loaded any new software or anything on it.
                                  >Can someone reply to be (off list if you think that's best) and tell
                                  >me where to start. I don't even know if that model will handle
                                  >ebooks because it's an older, discontinued model. Some of my
                                  >questions are...What software do I need to download? Is it freeware
                                  >or do I have to buy it? Will my model support ebooks? etc. (you get
                                  >the idea).
                                  >
                                  >I will understand your explanation. I'm not a computer idiot, just
                                  >don't know about the palm.
                                  >
                                  >thanks - Cori
                                  >
                                  >BTW - Just finished "The Warlock in Spite of Himself" (Can't remember
                                  >the author, book is at home). It was OK. Light and fun.
                                  >Interesting mix of fantasy and science. The author has written 8 or
                                  >so in the series, but I'm not sure he can sustain my interest that
                                  >long. I picked up #2 the other day and will give it a try before I
                                  >get any more in the series.
                                  >

                                  > > WOW!!
                                  > >
                                  > > I'm astounded by the replies I got about ebooks and PDA storiess!
                                  >Thank you so much! It's going to take some time to go through all
                                  >the websites you've shares, but I'm really excited about going
                                  >through them.

                                • Warren Ockrassa
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 9, 2003
                                    On Monday, Jun 9, 2003, at 12:21 America/Chicago, ccgreenman wrote:

                                    > I've been reading this thread with lots of interest. I read so many
                                    > books that paperback prices (even used) are starting to hurt, and my
                                    > library never has what I want. I have a Palm 105m and would love to
                                    > get some books to read on it, but I just use the thing for memos and
                                    > the calendar and have not loaded any new software or anything on it.

                                    I looked at different reader formats when trying to decide what I would
                                    publish with. For handhelds I settled on the Palm Reader software
                                    package available for free from www.palmdigitalmedia.com . I picked
                                    that one because they have released versions of their reader software
                                    that works on all Palm and Handspring devices, PocketPC, Windows and
                                    Mac desktop systems. It's very easy to use, really quite intuitive as
                                    far as eBook reading goes, and boasts the widest range of installation
                                    platforms I've ever seen. (Even more than MobiPocket, which is a good
                                    reader nevertheless.)

                                    I also went with Adobe PDF format -- so everything I publish goes out
                                    in two different styles, one for handhelds and the other for more
                                    conventional desktop uses, retaining all graphics and styles -- and
                                    Adobe has released a version of their reader that works on Palm devices.

                                    However I am nowhere near as satisfied with the results of using their
                                    software for reading PDFs on the Palm. The software does a conversion
                                    that reduces substantially the size of any PDF but the conversion
                                    retains the PDF page setup, which means you don't page down or up a
                                    *screen* at a time on the Palm, but rather by how the page divisions in
                                    the PDF were formatted. It also retains footers per-page, which gets
                                    irritating and breaks the natural flow of text as you advance pages,
                                    and of course doesn't render fonts properly. Also I found it didn't
                                    retain paragraph indents when doing the conversion.

                                    > I don't even know if that model will handle
                                    > ebooks because it's an older, discontinued model.

                                    You should have no trouble at all with the Palm Reader software.

                                    Warren Ockrassa | nw-ebooks@... Publisher, nightwares eBooks
                                    A division of | http://www.nightwares.com/ebooks/
                                    nightwares LLC | http://www.nightwares.com/
                                  • Lynne M Ramsdell
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 9, 2003
                                      --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "ccgreenman" <ccgreenman@e...>
                                      wrote:
                                      The author is Christopher Stasheff. I didn't really care for Warlock
                                      series. He has other books that I liked. Her Majesty's Wizard was
                                      quite good.
                                      Thialynne

                                      > BTW - Just finished "The Warlock in Spite of Himself" (Can't
                                      remember
                                      > the author, book is at home). It was OK. Light and fun.
                                      > Interesting mix of fantasy and science. The author has written 8
                                      or
                                      > so in the series, but I'm not sure he can sustain my interest that
                                      > long. I picked up #2 the other day and will give it a try before I
                                      > get any more in the series.

                                    • Andrea Orel S. Valle
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 10, 2003
                                        Another good progrm for PDA's when it comes to reading books is iSilo. This is a good program because it recognizes a lot of different formats, unlike the Pam Reader, which is more selective. Another thing I like about it is when you open it, you get to see at once what books you've got. And there's a lot of them floating on the net. I don't think you'll have much problems with looking for something complatible with it because it's a newer line on the palm100 series. Also, there is a program called iSiloX that lets you convert any text on yur computer to iSilo format, so you can make your own books :)

                                        Try checking out this webpage for the program

                                        http://www.freewarepalm.com

                                      • Ken James
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 11, 2003
                                          >From: Warren Ockrassa <nw-ebooks@...>
                                          >
                                          >You should have no trouble at all with the Palm Reader software.

                                          My only problem with the Palm Reader software is that it takes up quite a
                                          bit
                                          of Memory.

                                        • cherokeegirl722000
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 15, 2007
                                            Hi i am new here, so bear with me!
                                            kara
                                          • Gloria
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 15, 2007
                                              Hey Kara! *wave*

                                              Gloria Oliver
                                              www.gloriaoliver.com
                                              Unveiling the Fantastic

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 15, 2007
                                                Hi Kara.

                                                Welcome. What kind of fantasy books do you like? Who is your favorite author?

                                                -- Maggi

                                                To: Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.comFrom: cherokeegirl722000@...: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:20:49 +0000Subject: [Fantasy_Books] HI

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Apr 15, 2007
                                                  I like some about Merlin, I like wizards/witchs, Made up lands,and
                                                  such. My favorite author HAS TO BE T.A. Barro for SURE!!!
                                                  Kara

                                                  --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Maggi Heffler <mmheffler@...>
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > Hi Kara.
                                                  >
                                                  > Welcome. What kind of fantasy books do you like? Who is your
                                                  favorite author?

                                                  > -- Maggi
                                                  >

                                                  > To: Fantasy_Books@...: cherokeegirl722000@...: Sun, 15 Apr 2007
                                                  17:20:49 +0000Subject: [Fantasy_Books] HI

                                                  > Hi i am new here, so bear with me!kara

                                                • richard claypool
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Apr 16, 2007
                                                    Hi and welcome to the group.