Re: [Fantasy_Books] FW: Virus

  • H. Mazarakis
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 5, 2003
      This is a virus hoax. Do not delete your file, Windows needs it!

      http://www.urbanlegends.com/ulz/jdbmgr.html
      http://www.tu-berlin.de/www/software/hoax/jdbgmgr.shtml
      http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/hoaxes/jdbgmgr.html

      Helen M.

    • Barbara Davies
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 5, 2003
        >The virus is called jdbgmgr.exe.

        Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for those who've already deleted the
        file, but it's just a hoax to get you to delete a genuine file.
        --
        Barbara Davies
      • Matthew Graybosch
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 5, 2003
          On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 20:57:48 +0100
          "Jeroen Karstens" <jeroenkarstens@...> wrote:

          > Ik heb dit virus dus inderdaad bij mij gevonden. Probeer datgene te
          > doen wat hieronder staat bij het oorspronkelijke bericht.
          >
          > This is a vriuswarning. I really found this virus in my computer so
          > please follow the instructions.

          I hope you had to replace your computer, you lying sack of shit, because
          you took your own advice and were unable to reinstall your OS after you
          trashed it.

          --
          Matthew Graybosch
          http://www.starbreaker.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 5, 2003
            On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 at 17:25:25 Matthew Graybosch wrote:
            >On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 20:57:48 +0100
            >"Jeroen Karstens" <jeroenkarstens@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Ik heb dit virus dus inderdaad bij mij gevonden. Probeer datgene te
            >> doen wat hieronder staat bij het oorspronkelijke bericht.
            >>
            >> This is a vriuswarning. I really found this virus in my computer so
            >> please follow the instructions.
            >
            >I hope you had to replace your computer, you lying sack of shit, because
            >you took your own advice and were unable to reinstall your OS after you
            >trashed it.

            Um. Perhaps Jeroen genuinely thought that file contained a virus. A lot
            of people have been (and keep being) taken in by this particular hoax.
            --
            Barbara Davies
          • Matthew Graybosch
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 5, 2003
              On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 22:46:13 +0000
              Barbara Davies <bhdavies@...> wrote:

              > Um. Perhaps Jeroen genuinely thought that file contained a virus. A
              > lot of people have been (and keep being) taken in by this particular
              > hoax.--

              You're right, Barbara. I should know better than to blame on malice what
              is more likely due to ignorance or fear. On the other hand, it's been a
              long day and I still haven't taken off my BOFH* hat.

              --
              Matthew Graybosch
              http://www.starbreaker.net
              "Good men know their limits. Great men overcome them."

              * BOFH == "Bastard Operator from Hell"
            • uselessnovelty@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 5, 2003
                matthew.graybosch@... writes:

                > I hope you had to replace your computer, you lying sack of shit, because
                > you took your own advice and were unable to reinstall your OS after you
                > trashed it.
                >
                > --
                > Matthew Graybosch

                LOL. Wow, such rage.

              • uselessnovelty@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 5, 2003
                  matthew.graybosch@... writes:

                  > You're right, Barbara. I should know better than to blame on malice what
                  > is more likely due to ignorance or fear. On the other hand, it's been a
                  > long day and I still haven't taken off my BOFH* hat.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Matthew Graybosch

                  LOL. How funny. Yeah, I should be bitchy due to ear infections...But, it
                  seems when I get sick, I'm actually a nice person. Lmao. If he'd caught me on
                  any other day, I probably would've verbally blasted him. Lmao.

                  Ever loony,
                  Battie

                • Jeeva Sathurayar
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 5, 2003
                    If you are in doubt about an exe file ie you think it is a virus, do not
                    open it. Seems simple but curiosity killed the cat. It is best to check with
                    the source of the file and if you are still concerned - call your local
                    Norton, Macfee distributor - they are always willing to help ... and sell
                    you an upgrade to their product. Under no circumstances should you delete a
                    system file - chances are your windows system will cease working. There are
                    many virus hoaxes asking people to delete system files - many people have
                    done so to their detriment. By the way, exe virii are usually e-mailed to
                    you or delivered via floppy/cd/zip/jazz drive. It is extremely rare to
                    download a virus esp. if you use trusted download sources. Be very wary of
                    so called 'underground sites' ...
                    > You're right, Barbara. I should know better than to blame on malice what
                    > is more likely due to ignorance or fear. On the other hand, it's been a
                    > long day and I still haven't taken off my BOFH* hat.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Matthew Graybosch

                    LOL. How funny. Yeah, I should be bitchy due to ear infections...But, it
                    seems when I get sick, I'm actually a nice person. Lmao. If he'd caught me
                    on
                    any other day, I probably would've verbally blasted him. Lmao.

                    Ever loony,
                    Battie

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor