Amber/Elric/Graves

  • Al Griffith
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2003
      > From: Matthew Graybosch <matthew.graybosch@...>
      > Subject: Re: is this list dead or what?
      >
      > Roger Zelazny: "Madwand"...
      > It's Amber without the Amberites. 'nuff said.

      Does that mean you're pro_Amber or anti-Amber?

      > Michael Moorcock: "The Skrayling Tree"...
      > Sequel to "The Dreamthief's Daughter". Read this one for yourself, and
      > don't expect it all to make sense at once. It looks like Tree and
      > Daughter, along with the expected sequel, deal with the origins of one
      > of Moorcock's nastier villains, Gaynor the Damned.

      On the subject of Moorcock, there's an Elric movie in the planning stages, I
      believe.

      > Robert Graves, "I, Claudius"...
      > If you've seen the miniseries on PBS then you know what I'm talking
      > about. I haven't finished this one yet.

      Excellent writer. Look for his "Count Belisarius" as well, and also "King
      Jesus".

      Al
    • Matthew Graybosch
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28, 2003
        On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 20:04:03 +1100
        "Al Griffith" <agri4042@...> wrote:

        > > From: Matthew Graybosch <matthew.graybosch@...>
        > > Subject: Re: is this list dead or what?
        > >
        > > Roger Zelazny: "Madwand"...
        > > It's Amber without the Amberites. 'nuff said.
        >
        > Does that mean you're pro_Amber or anti-Amber?

        Pro-Amber. I've worn out one copy of the omnibus edition of the Amber
        novels, and it's a good thing that I gave my girlfriend a copy before
        she came to live with me.

        > On the subject of Moorcock, there's an Elric movie in the planning
        > stages, I believe.

        Really? Live action or animated? I remember that somebody was doing an
        Elric videogame for PlayStation, but that the project stalled because of
        IP difficulties.

        > Excellent writer. Look for his "Count Belisarius" as well, and also
        > "King Jesus".

        Yes, he *is* good. I finished "I, Claudius" last night will start with
        "Claudius the God" over the weekend. I'll have more time to read as my
        girlfriend's going on a long business trip to Sydney. *mew*

        --
        Matthew Graybosch
        http://www.starbreaker.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2003
          > From: Matthew Graybosch <matthew.graybosch@...>
          > Subject: Re: Amber/Elric/Graves

          > > On the subject of Moorcock, there's an Elric movie in the planning
          > > stages, I believe.
          >
          > Really? Live action or animated? I remember that somebody was doing an
          > Elric videogame for PlayStation, but that the project stalled because of
          > IP difficulties.

          I don't know any details, but I believe Universal acquired the rights
          because they thought it was Tolkien-esque!

          Al
        • Matthew Graybosch
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2003
            On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 22:05:44 +1100
            "Al Griffith" <agri4042@...> wrote:

            > I don't know any details, but I believe Universal acquired the rights
            > because they thought it was Tolkien-esque!

            Tolkien-esque?! Oh sure, and Ozzy Osbourne sings Verdi and Puccini.

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2003
              > From: Matthew Graybosch <matthew.graybosch@...>
              > Subject: Re: Re: Amber/Elric/Graves
              >
              > On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 22:05:44 +1100
              > "Al Griffith" <agri4042@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I don't know any details, but I believe Universal acquired the rights
              > > because they thought it was Tolkien-esque!
              >
              > Tolkien-esque?! Oh sure, and Ozzy Osbourne sings Verdi and Puccini.

              It's frightening, isn't it? That's why I've got a really really bad feeling
              about this movie project!

              Al
            • Matthew Graybosch
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2003
                On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 06:09:46 +1100
                "Al Griffith" <agri4042@...> wrote:

                > It's frightening, isn't it? That's why I've got a really really bad
                > feeling about this movie project!

                Yes, it is. Chances are they'll try to foist some muscleman on the
                public in the role of Elric instead of either making the effort to find
                an albino who can act or doing a CG production. And chances are that
                *none* of the production crew, from scriptwriter to executive producer
                to the friggin' director will have read any of the Elric novels/stories.

                With any luck, maybe the best boy will have listened to Hawkwind's
                "Chronicle of the Black Sword" or Blue Oyster Cult's "Black Blade", but
                I wouldn't count on it.

                --
                Matthew Graybosch
                http://www.starbreaker.net
                "Good men know their limits. Great men overcome them."
              • Ken James
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2003
                  My sentiments exactly
                  My guess is whomever aquired them didn't read the books