Re: [Fantasy_Books] McCaffrey

  • SinnerStar
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2000
      > > Thank's.
      > > Which Anne McCaffrey's is the first in the Dragon books?
      >
      > It's difficult to get an order for the whole series, as there are
      > several overlaps, and one book actually spans the period of five
      > others. But there's no doubt that the first one is Dragonflight.
      > After that, Dragonquest. Then, you have a choice. You can read
      > the Harper Hall trilogy (Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, Dragondrums),
      > or The White Dragon. If I were you, I would stop there, as the
      > series goes drastically downhill from there on. The only other
      > books in the series that are worth a look (IMO) are Moreta: Dragonlady
      > of Pern, and All the Weyrs of Pern (though to read the latter, you
      > need to have read Renegades of Pern for the backstory).
      >
      > IMO, McCaffrey's best creation is the Crystal Singer sequence. But
      > as it's more overtly SF than the Pern sequence, it's best not discussed
      > here.

      Delurking to fix this error!

      The first book in the Dragons of Pern series, chonologically, is
      Dragonsdawn, in my opion one of the best of the whole series. It's all
      sci-fi but it explains so much that helps when you read the rest of the
      series.

      Chronological Order

      Dragonsdawn
      Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern
      Nerilka's Story and the Coelura
      Red Star Rising (I think this has a different title in Merkin land, may
      actually come before Moreta, I forget)
      Dragonflight
      Dragonquest
      The Smallest Dragonboy (Short Story found in Get Off The Unicorn)
      Dragonsong
      Dragonsinger
      Dragondrums
      The White Dragon
      The Renegades of Pern
      All the Weyrs of Pern

      Masterharper of Pern is also a great book which explains the life of
      Robinton, but read it after the rest of the series as you'll appreciate it
      more after learning about the later years of this character before the
      earlier years.
      The Girl Who Heard Dragons is another nice short story around the time of
      Moreta I think, this book also has a lot of short stories showing off
      McCaffrey's talent, as does Get Off The Unicorn)

      And although I loved all of these books, they aren't McCaffrey's greatest
      works, her best series is the Pegasus trilogy, which has just had the last
      volume released in hardcover, fantastic Sci Fi.

      SinnerStar
    • robert_kerr@computacenter.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2000
        > Delurking to fix this error!

        > The first book in the Dragons of Pern series, chonologically, is
        > Dragonsdawn, in my opion one of the best of the whole series. It's all
        > sci-fi but it explains so much that helps when you read the rest of the
        > series.

        Unfortunately, internal chronology is not the best order to read the series.
        Publication order is slightly better. I deliberately left out all the
        'Early Pern' books, as they're complete trash. It is impossible to read
        Dragonsdawn without at least some idea of what the book is actually working
        towards. If you have that sense of a goal, then it's more satisfying to see
        the genesis of the Holding system, the establishment of the Trade Halls, the
        weyrs, etc. Without some background, it's very difficult to get a hold on
        the direction of the book.

        I think McCaffrey should have left the early Pern books at DragonsDawn (which
        is the best of them, admittedly), and continued with the modern day storyline.

        > Chronological Order

        > Dragonsdawn
        > Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern
        > Nerilka's Story and the Coelura
        > Red Star Rising (I think this has a different title in Merkin land, may
        > actually come before Moreta, I forget)

        Yes, it does come before Moreta. Nerilka... comes after Moreta.

        > Dragonflight
        > Dragonquest
        > The Smallest Dragonboy (Short Story found in Get Off The Unicorn)
        > Dragonsong
        > Dragonsinger
        > Dragondrums
        > The White Dragon

        This is more simplistic than internal chronolgy actually shows. The White
        Dragon begins at the same time as Dragonflight, and ends in the middle of
        Renegades. Dragonsong overlaps with Dragonquest. The Harper Hall Trilogy
        should be read as a trilogy (and is probably my favourite of all the Pern
        books, but then, I'm a musician).

        > The Renegades of Pern
        > All the Weyrs of Pern

        > Masterharper of Pern is also a great book which explains the life of
        > Robinton, but read it after the rest of the series as you'll appreciate it
        > more after learning about the later years of this character before the
        > earlier years.

        Here we must agree to differ. If a dictionary had an entry for "completely
        pointless book," IMO it would be, "See Masterharper of Pern"

        > The Girl Who Heard Dragons is another nice short story around the time of
        > Moreta I think, this book also has a lot of short stories showing off
        > McCaffrey's talent, as does Get Off The Unicorn)

        Isn't The Girl who Heard Dragons about Aramina? In which case, it's at the
        time of Renegades.

        > And although I loved all of these books, they aren't McCaffrey's greatest
        > works, her best series is the Pegasus trilogy, which has just had the last
        > volume released in hardcover, fantastic Sci Fi.

        To Ride Pegasus is probably McCaffrey's best single book. Pegasus in Flight
        is a good book, but not up to the standard set by its predecessor. Pegasus
        in Space is a travesty of a book, with not a single real character or believable
        plot or danger. I would recommend reading The Eye of Argon before this book.

        Rob Kerr
      • William Marnoch
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2000
          > > > Thank's.
          > > > Which Anne McCaffrey's is the first in the Dragon books?
          > >
          > > It's difficult to get an order for the whole series, as there are
          > > several overlaps, and one book actually spans the period of five
          > > others. But there's no doubt that the first one is Dragonflight.
          > > After that, Dragonquest. Then, you have a choice. You can read
          > > the Harper Hall trilogy (Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, Dragondrums),
          > > or The White Dragon. If I were you, I would stop there, as the
          > > series goes drastically downhill from there on. The only other
          > > books in the series that are worth a look (IMO) are Moreta: Dragonlady
          > > of Pern, and All the Weyrs of Pern (though to read the latter, you
          > > need to have read Renegades of Pern for the backstory).
          > >
          > > IMO, McCaffrey's best creation is the Crystal Singer sequence. But
          > > as it's more overtly SF than the Pern sequence, it's best not discussed
          > > here.
          > >

          > Delurking to fix this error!
          >
          > The first book in the Dragons of Pern series, chonologically, is
          > Dragonsdawn, in my opion one of the best of the whole series. It's all
          > sci-fi but it explains so much that helps when you read the rest of the
          > series.

          While Dragonsdawn is one of the better books in the series I think it
          would be a better idea to start with the later novels.

          > Chronological Order
          >
          > Dragonsdawn

          You missed out First Flight, which starts before the end of
          Dragonsdawn although it isn't really very good.

          > Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern
          > Nerilka's Story and the Coelura
          > Red Star Rising (I think this has a different title in Merkin land, may
          > actually come before Moreta, I forget)

          It's set several centuries before Moreta.

          > Dragonflight
          > Dragonquest
          > The Smallest Dragonboy (Short Story found in Get Off The Unicorn)
          > Dragonsong
          > Dragonsinger
          > Dragondrums
          > The White Dragon
          > The Renegades of Pern
          > All the Weyrs of Pern
          >
          > SinnerStar

          William Marnoch
          w.j.marnoch@...
        • kyouck@cableregina.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2000
            A lurker emerges!

            I just wanted to say that I also think the Harper Hall Trilogy are the
            best of the Pern books - I am a fellow musician as well (although I
            also really enjoyed the Masterharper of Pern which was written
            much later). Every year or so I pull these out and re-read them
            regardless of what I have waiting on my TBR pile.

            Emily

            > The Harper Hall Trilogy should be read as a trilogy (and is probably my favourite of all the Pern
            > books, but then, I'm a musician).

            Emily Schudel and Kevin Youck
            2249 Princess Street
            Regina, Saskatchewan
            S4T 3Z9
            kyouck@...
          • Elizabeth Coutts
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2000
              I tried reading them chronilogically starting with Moreta (this was before
              Dragonsdawn had been written) and got absolutely nowhere with it. A friend
              told me to try again starting with Dragonsflight and I absolutely loved the
              series including Moreta when I went back to reading it. IMO it is much
              better to read books in the order they were written. Although some books
              may pre-date others chronilogically they still may take for granted that you
              know things that have been written in earlier books.
              Elizabeth
              > > > Which Anne McCaffrey's is the first in the Dragon books?
              > >
              > > It's difficult to get an order for the whole series, as there are
              > > several overlaps, and one book actually spans the period of five
              > > others. But there's no doubt that the first one is Dragonflight.
              > > After that, Dragonquest. Then, you have a choice. You can read
              > > the Harper Hall trilogy (Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, Dragondrums),
              > > or The White Dragon. If I were you, I would stop there, as the
              > > series goes drastically downhill from there on. The only other
              > > books in the series that are worth a look (IMO) are Moreta: Dragonlady
              > > of Pern, and All the Weyrs of Pern (though to read the latter, you
              > > need to have read Renegades of Pern for the backstory).
              > >
              > > IMO, McCaffrey's best creation is the Crystal Singer sequence. But
              > > as it's more overtly SF than the Pern sequence, it's best not discussed
              > > here.
              > >

              > Delurking to fix this error!
              >
              > The first book in the Dragons of Pern series, chonologically, is
              > Dragonsdawn, in my opion one of the best of the whole series. It's all
              > sci-fi but it explains so much that helps when you read the rest of the
              > series.
              >
              > Chronological Order
              >
              > Dragonsdawn
              > Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern
              > Nerilka's Story and the Coelura
              > Red Star Rising (I think this has a different title in Merkin land, may
              > actually come before Moreta, I forget)
              > Dragonflight
              > Dragonquest
              > The Smallest Dragonboy (Short Story found in Get Off The Unicorn)
              > Dragonsong
              > Dragonsinger
              > Dragondrums
              > The White Dragon
              > The Renegades of Pern
              > All the Weyrs of Pern
              >
              > Masterharper of Pern is also a great book which explains the life of
              > Robinton, but read it after the rest of the series as you'll appreciate it
              > more after learning about the later years of this character before the
              > earlier years.
              > The Girl Who Heard Dragons is another nice short story around the time of
              > Moreta I think, this book also has a lot of short stories showing off
              > McCaffrey's talent, as does Get Off The Unicorn)
              >
              > And although I loved all of these books, they aren't McCaffrey's greatest
              > works, her best series is the Pegasus trilogy, which has just had the last
              > volume released in hardcover, fantastic Sci Fi.
              >
              > SinnerStar

              > Remember the good 'ol days

            • Alice Taylor
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 4, 2000
                Does it matter what Anne McCaffrey says herself? :^)

                from The Chronicles of Pern:

                "The author respectfully suggests that books in the Pern series be read
                in the order in which they were published."

                Which, doing a find & sort from my database gives:

                1968 Dragonflight
                1971 Dragonquest
                1976 Dragonsong
                1977 Dragonsinger
                1978 The White Dragon
                1979 Dragondrums
                1983 Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern
                1986 Nerilka's Story
                1988 Dragonsdawn
                1989 The Renegades of Pern
                1991 All the Weyrs of Pern
                1993 Chronicles of Pern: First Fall
                1994 The Dolphins of Pern
                1997 Dragonseye (Published in the UK as Red Star Rising)
                1998 The Masterharper of Pern

                I think that's pretty much what you all had agreed on anyway, but I just
                thought I'd mention it...

                -alice
              • robert_kerr@computacenter.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 5, 2000
                  Kyouck wrote:

                  > I just wanted to say that I also think the Harper Hall Trilogy are the
                  > best of the Pern books - I am a fellow musician as well (although I
                  > also really enjoyed the Masterharper of Pern which was written
                  > much later). Every year or so I pull these out and re-read them
                  > regardless of what I have waiting on my TBR pile.

                  Yeah, I guess I enjoyed the musical bits of Masterharper. It was the
                  book as a whole that was less than satisfying. I think I'll stop
                  buying McCaffrey in hardback -- after the disappointments of Masterharper
                  and Pegasus in Space, it's just too much.

                  Rob Kerr