David Weber's Honor Harrington series - latest

  • robert.kerr@computacenter.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2000
      In case you weren't aware, the next novel in this series
      (which last saw Honor returning triumphantly from the Peeps'
      prison planet Hades, after freeing all the prisoners held
      therein) will be called "Ashes of Victory." The first nine
      chapters are available to read on the Baen website
      (http://www.baen.com)

      I would also like to recommend Lois McMaster Bujold to those
      of you who have not encountered her. Space opera with characters
      that are meticulously developed -- and allowed to grow in ways
      that seem natural, even inevitable. The latest instalment,
      "A Civil Campaign" tends more towards space romance than the
      action that readers may have come to expect from previous novels
      such as "The Warriors Apprentice" or "Brothers in Arms", but
      is no less satisfying a read.

      And finally, I would like to solicit recommendations from
      the members of this list for books to read. I have recently
      enjoyed "Gardens of the Moon" by Steve Erikson, if that helps
      to whittle down any lists.

      Cheers for any recommendations,

      Rob Kerr

      PS - Any UK residents might want to watch out for a star-studded
      TV adaptation of Mervyn Peake's classic novel, "Gormenghast".
      After watching the trailer, I couldn't think of a British actor
      _not_ appearing in it!
    • Dianne Hughes
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2000
        I stopped reading Honor after her boyfriend was killed, I couldn't stand
        it. I must take my courage in hand and reread the series. I agree with you
        on the the Bujold series
        loved everyone. I know her next book isn't about the Vorkoskian's but I hope
        the one after will be.
        I have been lent Stephen Lawhead to read but haven't go around to it yet,
        there doesn't
        seem to be enough time
        Dianne Hughes