Re: [Fantasy_Books] terry pratchet

  • aiofelsie
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 1, 2000
      Yael & Zvika wrote:

      > Thank's Mark,
      > Can I ash which one do you prefer?
      > I don't want to start with something that will cool me off.
      > (-:
      >
      > Someone suggested A WIZARD OF EARTHSEA by Ursula K. Le Guin,
      > or something by Anne McCaffrey? What do you think?
      > Any of you read it?

      I started on Ursula le Guin's Earthsea trilogy, in my opinion it's brilliant. Anne
      McCaffrey's Dragon books are pretty marvelous as well....just read them in order,
      otherwise it can get a bit confusing..

      > How about The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia A. McKillip
      > (I totally love Riddle-Master Trilogy).
      > I just saw it at amazon, and it catch my eye.
      > <G>
      >
      > Yael.

      ;-)

      aiofelsie.

      "TV is a crutch for those who lack imagination."
    • Yael Youtzis
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 1, 2000
        aiofelsie wrote:

        > Yael & Zvika wrote:
        >
        > > Thank's Mark,
        > > Can I ash which one do you prefer?
        > > I don't want to start with something that will cool me off.
        > > (-:
        > >
        > > Someone suggested A WIZARD OF EARTHSEA by Ursula K. Le Guin,
        > > or something by Anne McCaffrey? What do you think?
        > > Any of you read it?
        > >

        > I started on Ursula le Guin's Earthsea trilogy, in my opinion it's
        > brilliant. Anne
        > McCaffrey's Dragon books are pretty marvelous as well....just read
        > them in order,
        > otherwise it can get a bit confusing..

        Thank's.
        Which Anne McCaffrey's is the first in the Dragon books?

        Yael.

      • robert_kerr@computacenter.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 1, 2000
          Yeal Youtzis wrote:

          > Thank's.
          > Which Anne McCaffrey's is the first in the Dragon books?

          It's difficult to get an order for the whole series, as there are
          several overlaps, and one book actually spans the period of five
          others. But there's no doubt that the first one is Dragonflight.
          After that, Dragonquest. Then, you have a choice. You can read
          the Harper Hall trilogy (Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, Dragondrums),
          or The White Dragon. If I were you, I would stop there, as the
          series goes drastically downhill from there on. The only other
          books in the series that are worth a look (IMO) are Moreta: Dragonlady
          of Pern, and All the Weyrs of Pern (though to read the latter, you
          need to have read Renegades of Pern for the backstory).

          IMO, McCaffrey's best creation is the Crystal Singer sequence. But
          as it's more overtly SF than the Pern sequence, it's best not discussed
          here.

          Rob Kerr
        • William Marnoch
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 1, 2000
            > speaking of computer games and terry prattchett, and read this amazingly
            > funny book, starship titanic, that i think (could be wrong, never know :) )
            > was written with a collabration between terry pratchett and terry jones
            > (monty python dude) or maybe, come to think of it it wasn't terry
            > prattchett. aha- i got it! i think (maybe) it was douglas adams and terry
            > jones. i heard there was to be a computer game for that book- any one hear
            > of it? did anyone here actually read it?

            I've got the book. It was written entirely by Terry Jones based on
            Douglas Adams' computer game. Despite Adams' name on the
            cover I don't think he wrote any of it apart from the introduction, he
            just provided the ideas behind the book. I didn't think it was really all
            that funny, not as good as Adams' books but it was still a
            reasonably good read.

            > sara

            William Marnoch
            w.j.marnoch@...
          • Elizabeth Coutts
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 1, 2000
              Have to say my favourites are Wyrd Sisters and Witches Abroad. And The Lost
              Continent (but then I'm an Aussie - and no more comments about sheep thank
              you very much (whoever that was), you're confusing us with New Zealand!
              :-)
              Elizabeth
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 1, 2000
                It's Douglas Adams who wrote Starship Titanic (I don't know if he wrote in
                collaboration with anyone else). Haven't actually read the book but I've
                got the game and have gotten absolutely nowhere with it (but then I'm not a
                big computer game player so I'm probably missing something obvious). The
                voices in the game were contributed by some of the Monty Python team.

                Elizabeth

                ttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0061020710/o/qid=959689892/sr=2-1/002

                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 1, 2000
                  > aiofelsie wrote:
                  >
                  > > Yael & Zvika wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Thank's Mark,
                  > > > Can I ash which one do you prefer?
                  > > > I don't want to start with something that will cool me off.
                  > > > (-:
                  > > >
                  > > > Someone suggested A WIZARD OF EARTHSEA by Ursula K. Le Guin,
                  > > > or something by Anne McCaffrey? What do you think?
                  > > > Any of you read it?
                  > > >

                  > > I started on Ursula le Guin's Earthsea trilogy, in my opinion it's
                  > > brilliant. Anne
                  > > McCaffrey's Dragon books are pretty marvelous as well....just read
                  > > them in order,
                  > > otherwise it can get a bit confusing..
                  > >

                  > Thank's.
                  > Which Anne McCaffrey's is the first in the Dragon books?

                  The best order would be approximately in the order they were
                  written:
                  Dragonflight
                  Dragonquest
                  The White Dragon
                  Renegades of Pern
                  All the Weyrs of Pern
                  is the main series. There's also books set a couple of thousand
                  years in Pern's history:
                  Dragonsdawn (the founding of Pern, more sci-fi than the later books)
                  First Flight (short story compilation, set about the same time as
                  Dragonsdawn)
                  Red Star Rising (set 200 years after Dragonsdawn)
                  Moreta, Dragonlady of Pern (set about a millenia after
                  Dragonsdawn and about 800 years before Dragonflight)

                  There are other books as well but the above are the main ones.
                  The prequels (Dragonsdawn etc.) involve completely different
                  characters to the later books (Dragonflight etc.) so you could read
                  them before or after, I'd recommend starting on Dragonflight.

                  > Yael.

                  William Marnoch
                  w.j.marnoch@...
                • Elizabeth Coutts
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 1, 2000
                    Oops! Ignore this one I got it completely wrong!
                    :-)
                    Elizabeth
                    > It's Douglas Adams who wrote Starship Titanic (I don't know if he wrote in
                    > collaboration with anyone else). Haven't actually read the book but I've
                    > got the game and have gotten absolutely nowhere with it (but then I'm not
                    > big computer game player so I'm probably missing something obvious). The
                    > voices in the game were contributed by some of the Monty Python team.
                    >
                    > Elizabeth

                    :)

                  • Samantha Moorman
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 1, 2000
                      I don't remember who wrote the book (I think it was Douglas Adams) but you
                      are right about the computer game. And the books was hilarious. I've never
                      seen a copy of the game, but I know it's supposed to just as fun as the
                      book.