Need Recommendations

  • MintyFreshKitty@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 30, 2002
      Ok I am almost done with the Xanth series (I'm on 22) and I need more fantasy
      books. Fantasy wise, I've read Piers Anthony and Kate Elliot and I am looking
      for some really good fantasy books. I am not ready to try LotR because I
      don't have the concentration required. I like comedic fantasy and I like
      loooooooong 1000+ page books. I would appreciate any recommendations :)

      Np: Hem of Your Garment-Cake
      Nr: Xone of Contention-Piers Anthony
      Don't judge a book by its movie.
      >^..^< Angie >^..^<
      "That old saying, how you always hurt the one you love, well, it works both
      ways." Jack (Fight Club)
      "Whoa! You are now shooting a gun at your imaginary friend near four hundred
      gallons of nitroglycerine!" Tyler (Fight Club)
      "Welcome to my underwater lair. It's long, hard, and full of seamen!" {no one
      laughs} "Nothing? Tough sub..." Dr Evil (Austin Powers 3)

    • Allan Griffith
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 31, 2002
        From: <MintyFreshKitty@...>
        Subject: [Fantasy_Books] Need Recommendations

        > Ok I am almost done with the Xanth series (I'm on 22) and I need more
        fantasy
        > books. Fantasy wise, I've read Piers Anthony and Kate Elliot and I am
        looking
        > for some really good fantasy books. I am not ready to try LotR because I
        > don't have the concentration required.
        > I like comedic fantasy

        You should check out Christopher Moore.

        Al
      • Ken James
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2002
          The concentration required?

          LOTR is not that bad, try it, see what you think

          Also if you are into comedic fantasy try Discworld series
          by Terry Pratchett

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 2002
            --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., MintyFreshKitty@a... wrote:
            > Ok I am almost done with the Xanth series (I'm on 22) and I need more
            fantasy
            > books. Fantasy wise, I've read Piers Anthony and Kate Elliot and I am
            looking
            > for some really good fantasy books. I am not ready to try LotR because I
            > don't have the concentration required.

            Don't let anyone tell you that you have to read LotR. You don't. There are
            far better fantasy novels than LotR.

            Al
          • Paula
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 2, 2002
              Alan Dean Foster has a lot of comedic fantasy worth reading. Not real long books but several in a series to keep you going.

            • MintyFreshKitty@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 2, 2002
                In a message dated 9/1/02 12:55:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                ogi8745@... writes:

                > The concentration required?
                >
                > LOTR is not that bad, try it, see what you think

                Well it's just that after seeing the movie and hearing other people's
                comments about the books, I'd like to just fall into the books but
                unfortunately I can't do that at my job. I'd be constantly interrupted and I
                don't think I'd enjoy the books very much. Thanx for the recommendation :)
                Np: nothing
                Nr: The Dastard (Xanth 24) Piers Anthony
                Don't judge a book by its movie.
                >^..^< Angie >^..^<
                "That old saying, how you always hurt the one you love, well, it works both
                ways." Jack (Fight Club)
                "Whoa! You are now shooting a gun at your imaginary friend near four hundred
                gallons of nitroglycerine!" Tyler (Fight Club)
                "Welcome to my underwater lair. It's long, hard, and full of seamen!" {no one
                laughs} "Nothing? Tough sub..." Dr Evil (Austin Powers 3)

              • Stephanie
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 22 11:04 AM
                  Hi...

                  I was wondering if someone could help with some recommendations?

                  I am in the mood to read paranormals with a medieval or a contemporary
                  setting...

                  I have read the first book by Lynn Abbey called Out of Time and The Sun
                  Witch.
                  i would like to read anything along those lines of the books that I
                  typed above.

                  Appreciate any help...thank you...

                  bookfan5
                • Kayla Grant
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 23 3:04 PM
                    Have you read Timeline by Michael Cricton( I don't think that's how you
                    spell his last name...anyways) He does a lot of stuff with technology and
                    how it goes wrong. Timeline is set in the 16th century (I think could be
                    14th-15th)

                    Kayla
                  • Quashnick
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 26 10:33 AM