Re: [Fantasy_Books] Shirley Jackson WAS Funny

  • dfordoom
    Message 1 of 36 , Aug 3 4:26 AM
      --- William Marnoch <william@...>
      wrote:
      > I have absolutely no
      > idea
      > who Shirley Jackson is which suggests she's losing
      > the
      > battle to be remembered very early ;)

      Shirley Jackson's WE HAVE ALWAYS LIVED IN THE CASTLE
      is an absolutely wonderful book. AFAIK she's still
      well-known in literary circles, and reasonably
      well-known among horror aficionados. She's best known
      for her story THE LOTTERY and her horror novel, THE
      HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE (which was made into an
      excellent movie in 1963, there's a modern remake that
      I've heard very bad reports about).

      Al

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • gdehond
      Message 36 of 36 , Aug 5 8:23 PM
        See, that joke's better than anything that happens in Deep Blue Sea.
        Maybe the producers should have spoken to Mike Myers for some helpful
        suggestions before putting it on the screen.

        --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., "wildfire50uk" <wildfire160@h...> wrote:
        > --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., "gdehond" <gdehond@y...> wrote:
        > > Oh yeah they were. Seeing what that first nanny did in The Omen
        > made
        > > me laugh like no tomorrow. Pity the rest of the movie didn't.
        It