Re: [Fantasy_Books] Pronunciation

  • Ken Ogilvy
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 9, 2002
      !Xabbu is a bushman......They speak with tongue clicks
      and other noises. I think that is what the !
      signifies.

      Personally I call him Zabboo also...

      --- The Bohemian Piano <bpiano@...> wrote:
      > I've been reading Tad Williams City of Golden
      > Shadow, and come across a name
      > I'm not sure how it would be pronounced. "!Xabbu"
      > with the exclamation mark
      > in front of the X. I keep thinking that it is
      > pronounced "Zab-boo" but how
      > does an exclamation mark sound?
      >
      > Can anyone help?
      >
      > The Bohemian Piano
      >
      > PS Sorry to those who are getting this twice.

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Matthew Graybosch
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 9, 2002
        On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 05:18:53 -0700 (PDT)
        Ken Ogilvy <kogilvy1@...> wrote:

        > !Xabbu is a bushman......They speak with tongue clicks
        > and other noises. I think that is what the !
        > signifies.
        >
        > Personally I call him Zabboo also...

        Being a programmer, I tend to pronounce ! as "bang". But in C and C++,
        the ! symbol is interpreted as logical "NOT", so if I'm not careful I
        speak !Xabbu as "Not Zabboo".

        But I almost never read out loud, so it doesn't matter much.

        --
        Matthew Graybosch
        http://www.starbreaker.net