Philosophy and....Fantasy ????? Fantasy Forever...

  • blackash
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2002
      From: Scott Bakker <sbakker@...>
      To: Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com <Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Friday, 29 March 2002 1:32
      Subject: Re: [Fantasy_Books] Sidharam/Philosophy and....Fantasy ?????

      But it has everything to do with fantasy!

      Ask yourself: Why is it that fantasy as a fictional genre only came to be in the 20th Century (with a few 19th century precursors)? The answer, I think, is that as a form of cultural expression, fantasy, like science fiction, is directly related to the scientific transformation of our culture.
      Scott

      Fantasy only in the 20th Century (with a few 19th century precursors)The answer, I think, As long as man has been able to talk there has been Fantasy (or Myths if you prefure)in every cultural race of mankind.In the begining the writen word was only for the scholars. Then the dark ages came and the writen word was only for the religious orders and the very wealthy and kings. Only matters of great importants were writen.... Which is why there is a saying..It was writen.. came from.Throught out this time the commoners where telling each other stories. eg..red riding hood (talking wolf) the little people (in scottland) and millions more that I can't think of....
      Nobility much later starter to write down the quaint commoners tales...Of Couse they had to be clean up a bit for polite society Hee Hee :)
      Some of which was high fantasy
      Shade and Sweet Water
      Blackash