Re: New Novel

  • wildfire50uk
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3 10:52 AM
      it may well be an excellant read but if i was reading it i would have
      a huge problem believeing in it...Nixon for all his faults was a very
      good president and much more capable than Kennedy(who was a bit of a
      showboat)at foreign policy....the americans after all have the
      Kennedy/Johnson ticket to thank for all their policies in
      Vietnam...now if someone wants to write an alternate world story
      using these events it might be more interesting if tricky dicky came
      out on top...:-)
      Wildfire(malcolm)
      --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., "aurora406" <aurora406@a...> wrote:
      > If you're a fan of time travel books you should check out, What
      Lies
      > Behind You.
      >
      > What if JFK was killed before he became President and Nixon
      > mishandled the Cuban Missile Crisis, thrusting the United States
      into
      > World War III? What if in order to set history right again...you
      must
      > lose everything you love.
      >
      > It's an excellent read
    • Scott Bakker
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3 12:14 PM
        >Nixon for all his faults was a very
        good president...

        Is this the NIXON Nixon we're talking about? You know, the one who instituted price controls for reasons of political expediency, even though he knew full well the economic effects would be disastrous? Who strategically bombed Hanoi killing thousands of women and children in order to secure 'peace with honour'? Who commonly referred to blacks as 'niggers'? Who intentionally tried to subvert the Constitution? Who had to be talked out of dropping nuclear weapons on the Vietnamese by an aghast Kissinger?

        Yikes! I'd hate to see a not-so-good president...

        scott/
        it may well be an excellant read but if i was reading it i would have
        a huge problem believeing in it... and much more capable than Kennedy(who was a bit of a
        showboat)at foreign policy....the americans after all have the
        Kennedy/Johnson ticket to thank for all their policies in
        Vietnam...now if someone wants to write an alternate world story
        using these events it might be more interesting if tricky dicky came
        out on top...:-)
        Wildfire(malcolm)
        --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., "aurora406" <aurora406@a...> wrote:
        > If you're a fan of time travel books you should check out, What
        Lies
        > Behind You.
        >
        > What if JFK was killed before he became President and Nixon
        > mishandled the Cuban Missile Crisis, thrusting the United States
        into
        > World War III? What if in order to set history right again...you
        must
        > lose everything you love.
        >
        > It's an excellent read

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • aurora406@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3 2:24 PM
          Thank you for the dissertation on foreign policy. However, the book is
          fiction (time travel isn't possible either). Nixon could have easily
          mishandled the Cuban Missile Crisis given the opportunity.

        • Joel Gates
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5 10:31 AM
            I alway thought Kennedy and Johnson were abit divided
            on Vietnam...I could be wrong though. I was born after
            JFK died, so I am just seeking more clarification than
            I am "entering the fray"

            JG
            --- Scott Bakker <sbakker@...> wrote:
            > >Nixon for all his faults was a very
            > good president...
            >
            > Is this the NIXON Nixon we're talking about? You
            > know, the one who instituted price controls for
            > reasons of political expediency, even though he knew
            > full well the economic effects would be disastrous?
            > Who strategically bombed Hanoi killing thousands of
            > women and children in order to secure 'peace with
            > honour'? Who commonly referred to blacks as
            > 'niggers'? Who intentionally tried to subvert the
            > Constitution? Who had to be talked out of dropping
            > nuclear weapons on the Vietnamese by an aghast
            > Kissinger?
            >
            > Yikes! I'd hate to see a not-so-good president...
            >
            > scott/

            =====
            Joel Gates
            Author of Return To Glory
            "Accompany the Seven Companions on their last great quest to stop an ancient evil...if they don't kill each other first!"
            www.Return2glory.com

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/
          • Justin Denton
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 5 11:22 AM
              Well, we were involved in Vietnam to some degree since Eisenhower, so
              Kennedy inherited our invasion from him. JFK, though, called it a "nice
              piece of real estate" or something to that effect. So, while full scale
              "police action" didn't begin until Johnson, Kennedy certainly was in favor
              of American interference.

              Justin

            • aurora406@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 5 11:56 AM
                At the risk of reentering "the fray," it's fiction...it doesn't really
                matter because it never happened and never will. For all we know Nixon would
                have nuked the USSR given the chance.