Re: [Fantasy_Books] Digest Number 649

  • BADBH
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30, 2002
      hey,

      >From: "Scott Bakker"
      >Has FANTASY been around forever, or have the
      >structural
      >elements we
      >presently identify with fantasy been around forever?
      <snip>
      >Fantasies are myths no one ever believed in, whereas
      >myths
      >are simply
      >scriptures no one believes in any longer.

      Good point,
      I guess that its only really since literature itself
      evolved that fantasy has. I mean most people would
      trace gothic horror as a genre as beginning in the
      C19th. Lewis' The Monk I think is one of the early
      ones. And IMO fantasy evolved out of a combination of
      horror and myth.
      I know very diff. from what I said prev about fantasy
      being around since forever, but I've been thinking
      about fantasy as a genre, and so changed my mind :)

      Cya
      Badbh

      =====
      Luck is a horse to ride like any other

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com
    • blackash
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 6, 2002
        Hi,
        good point
        But there was always someone who thought No. that not right I've never seen little people (or werewolf or elf or vampires). Prove it to me that they are real..But this same person may enjoy telling there child or grand child a spokey story about how the elfs will get them if they misbehave.
        Some people belive today that there is elfs out there who knows not me...
        I vote it mostly Fantasy thou..
        So.....One could say that myths and stuff is fantasy forever becuse there would have been some who didn't belive in the myths but still told the stories...
        Like as long as there has been religion there as been atheism...
        As long as there been myths there been realism.
        (If there had not been someone to say I belive the world is ..... and then prove it. We'd all be in the nude or furs sitting around the fire.....Hee Hee) Would we have got that far as fire???
        So Yeppyyy for the realises out there make our world a wonder for us
        Shade and Sweet Water
        blackash

        hey,

        >From: "Scott Bakker"
        >Has FANTASY been around forever, or have the
        >structural
        >elements we
        >presently identify with fantasy been around forever?
        <snip>
        >Fantasies are myths no one ever believed in, whereas
        >myths
        >are simply
        >scriptures no one believes in any longer.

        Good point,
        I guess that its only really since literature itself
        evolved that fantasy has. I mean most people would
        trace gothic horror as a genre as beginning in the
        C19th. Lewis' The Monk I think is one of the early
        ones. And IMO fantasy evolved out of a combination of
        horror and myth.
        I know very diff. from what I said prev about fantasy
        being around since forever, but I've been thinking
        about fantasy as a genre, and so changed my mind :)

        Cya
        Badbh

        =====
        Luck is a horse to ride like any other

        http://uk.my.yahoo.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Scott Bakker
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 6, 2002
          >As long as there been myths there been realism.

          Before science all we had were myths, though we then called them scriptures. Some few might have been skeptical about the details, but the bottomline is that before the Enlightenment there was no alternative to an enchanted world-view. There was absolutely nothing 'fantastic' about the notion of a magical world. What we now call 'fantastic,' was, from the perspective of our ancient ancestors, totally realistic. There simply was no distinction between the 'fantastic' and the 'realistic' for them, which means there was no such thing as fantasy.

          scott/

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6, 2002
            That's wild stuff about the monkeys. I just watched a documentary about how they think one out of three male chimpanzees is murdered by other chimpanzees. Scarey to think how much we share with our biological kin...

            scott/
            Some few might have been skeptical about the details, but the bottomline is that before the Enlightenment there was no alternative to an enchanted world-view.
            Scoot
            Hi,
            Sounds good to me..
            I heard on the radio last week. Some Scientists that are studying monkeys, Think that they (the monkeys) are superstions. Because this type of monkey when it rains, the whole troop get together in a line and dance. Almost like they were try to change the weather.
            Shade and Sweet Water
            blackash

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • blackash