George R. R. Martin

  • Jo Fulton
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 15, 1999
      Has anybody read George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series (or the
      first two released anyway)? Just wondering, because I loved them. I haven't read
      any of his other books, so was also wondering if anyone's read any of those and
      are they good?
      Jo

      Jo Fulton jo@... ICQ#: 17782225
      http://www.geocities.coXX-Mozilla-Status: 0009 (building)
      "Mini Me, would you like a hot pocket? . . . Not even an egg-o?
      . . . No, Mini Me, we do not chew on kitt-y." - Dr. Evil
    • Jo Fulton

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 15, 1999

          http://www.geocities.coX-Mozilla-Status: 00093 (building)
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 15, 1999

            http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Club/9833 (building)
            "Mini Me, would you like a hot pocket? . . . Not even an egg-o?
            . . . No, Mini Me, we do not chew on kitt-y." - Dr. Evil
          • Tim Andrews
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 23, 1999
              Sorry no.. havn't heard of him even heard of him..
              What are they about??

              >Has anybody read George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series (or
              the
              >first two released anyway)? Just wondering, because I loved them. I haven't
              read
              >any of his other books, so was also wondering if anyone's read any of those
              and
              >are they good?
              >Jo
              >
              >--
              >Jo Fulton jo@... ICQ#: 17782225
              >http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Club/9833 (building)
              >+-------------------------------------------------------------+
              >"Mini Me, would you like a hot pocket? . . . Not even an egg-o?
              >. . . No, Mini Me, we do not chew on kitt-y." - Dr. Evil
              >+-------------------------------------------------------------+

              >The Literary Guild� offers you half off publishers' edition prices on
              >the books you love to read. Get 5 books for only $2 + 1 free with
              >membership. Go to http://www.onelist.com/ad/doubleday7

            • Jo Fulton

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 24, 1999
                  Good evening Jo,
                  I have never heard of the chap, but then my reading has been very limited. I might
                  see if I can find some. Katherine Kerr's latest book is out thought the cost of it
                  nearly killed me $38.00. I shared the cost with my sister
                  Dianne Hughes

                  Jo Fulton wrote:

                  > From: Jo Fulton <jo@...>
                  >
                  > Has anybody read George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series (or the
                  > first two released anyway)? Just wondering, because I loved them. I haven't read
                  > any of his other books, so was also wondering if anyone's read any of those and
                  > are they good?
                  > Jo
                  >
                  > --
                  > Jo Fulton jo@... ICQ#: 17782225
                  > http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Club/9833 (building)
                  > +-------------------------------------------------------------+
                  > "Mini Me, would you like a hot pocket? . . . Not even an egg-o?
                  > . . . No, Mini Me, we do not chew on kitt-y." - Dr. Evil
                  > +-------------------------------------------------------------+

                  > The Literary Guild� offers you half off publishers' edition prices on
                  > the books you love to read. Get 5 books for only $2 + 1 free with
                  > membership. Go to http://www.onelist.com/ad/doubleday7

                • William Marnoch
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 24, 1999
                    >From: Jo Fulton <jo@...>
                    >
                    >Has anybody read George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series (or
                    the
                    >first two released anyway)? Just wondering, because I loved them. I haven't
                    read
                    >any of his other books, so was also wondering if anyone's read any of those
                    and
                    >are they good?
                    >Jo

                    Hi,

                    I've read the first book and I liked it a lot. I'm waiting until the second
                    book is released in paperback to buy it. I haven't even seen any other books
                    by him although judging from the comments by other authors etc.. on the
                    front cover he must have written some other things.

                    William Marnoch
                  • gatewayhm@t-online.de
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 15, 2000
                      Hi everyone, sorry this is a bit late....

                      Got to meet George R R Martin last night in a small SF & F bookshop in Berlin,
                      Germany. As there were only about 20 or so people there, we had a really good
                      time talking to him and listening to him read the first two chapters from the
                      first book of A Song of Ice and Fire. The third one will be here tomorrow to
                      purchase.

                      We asked him lots of questions like, who was his favourite character, to which
                      he replied, Tyrion, whom he enjoys writing about the most.

                      How many books will there be.....six.

                      When will they be finished....as one takes about 18 months to write, it will be
                      about six years before they are all finished.

                      Did he not get sometimes tempted to throw the whole project away as it is such a
                      big one?.....Well, as he writes in so many different points of view, it would
                      keep it fresh and alive for him.

                      Does remembering all the details pose a problem.....yes, as the series
                      progresses, there are some mistakes that get through, but usually minor ones,
                      like the sex of a horse, but usually, if he doesn't remember the colour of
                      somebody's eyes, then he'll remember which chapter to look up.

                      Writing habits?....get up , cup of coffee, answer e-mail.....another cup of
                      coffee, look over the work done the day before, read, rewrite, polish and then
                      he is ready to get into the next bit.

                      Would it not be against the 'rules' to have main characters die quite early on
                      in the story?...... He says he has a reputation for getting rid of main
                      characters, he prefers to have his stories as realistic as possible and as most
                      fantasy stories have invincible characers, he likes to do things differently.
                      The reader never knows what is going to happen next, he wants the reader to feel
                      the suspense and fear of his characters. (Certainly did well with that one I
                      think)

                      Someone asked him about the names of his characters, and that in the geneaology
                      (?) of some families the same name pops up a lot. He answered that one with
                      some English history, with the kings all having the same name, then he mentioned
                      George Foreman who named his six sons, all of them, George! There was a round
                      of jokes about that, then I told everyone that I named my eight sons all a
                      different name, but with the same first letter (J), and I could never get the
                      right name to the right kid!! I should have done it like George! Ha!

                      He also talked about his writing for Hollywood, in particular with the Twilight
                      Zone series. Also, about his co-writing 'Windhaven' with Lisa Tuttle who he
                      admitted he had a big crush on and did the book with her so as to get close to
                      her. Windhaven will be re-released soon in the States. I highly recommend it,
                      a beautiful story.

                      So, that's all I can remember for now, I got my two 'A Song of Ice and Fire'
                      episodes signed and 'Windhaven'.

                      Altogether, a very pleasant evening with a very nice man.

                      Lots of love

                      Valerie.