2002

  • sorvalon
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2002
      Happy new year, everyone. Eoin.
    • Jane Dean
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3, 2002
        >Happy new year, everyone. Eoin.

        Happy New Year to all

        What you been reading over the new year holiday??

        Jane
        --
        **********
        Jane Dean

        Sorry no time for work. BOOKS TO READ.
      • arianwen4
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 3, 2002
          Hi Jane,

          Happy new years to you too:). I haven't had any holidays as my work
          is open everyday of the years except xmas day so i have been stuck
          there *sigh*. I have been re-reading Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy
          however and am p.o'ed cos my boyfriend just bought me Terry
          Pratchet's The Truth but i hate to stop reading a series in the
          middle and start another book,lol.

          What have you been reading?

          Arianwen

        • AlGriffo@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 3, 2002
            In a message dated 1/3/02 8:59:03 PM j.s.dean@... writes:

            > Happy New Year to all
            >
            > ?

            The Last Coin by James P. Blaylock (excellent)
            Moonchild by Aleister Crowley (novelty value only)
            Conjure Wife by Fritz Leiber (dated, but quite good)

            I'm currently reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

            Al G

          • Matthew Graybosch
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 3, 2002
              On Thu, 3 Jan 2002 09:59:37 +0000
              Jane Dean <j.s.dean@...> wrote:

              > >Happy new year, everyone. Eoin.
              >

              > Happy New Year to all
              >
              > What you been reading over the new year holiday??

              Terry Goodkind, "The Pillars of Creation"
              Laurell K. Hamilton, "Obsidian Butterfly"
              Ada95 Reference Manual

              --
              Matthew Graybosch
              http://www.starbreaker.net

            • Jane Dean
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 3, 2002
                >Hi Jane,
                >
                >Happy new years to you too:). I haven't had any holidays as my work
                >is open everyday of the years except xmas day so i have been stuck
                >there *sigh*. I have been re-reading Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy
                >however and am p.o'ed cos my boyfriend just bought me Terry
                >Pratchet's The Truth but i hate to stop reading a series in the
                >middle and start another book,lol.
                >
                >What have you been reading?
                >
                >Arianwen

                Hi
                Yes I suppose I should have said what I was reading before asking you lot!

                I've been re reading the Lord of the Rings, ready to go see the
                movie. I read it several times many years ago and seem to remember
                thinking it was great at the time.

                My tastes must have changed, I still think its a great story but I'm
                not enjoying the writing style much. May be I'm not in the right mood
                or something, but I'm finding it very hard not to skip bits to just
                concentrate on the main story line. The bits with Frodo and Sam seem
                alright but I'm having problems with all the background stuff such
                and all the descriptive bits and I don't know........sort of most of
                it. Sorry to any fans. May be I'll read it again in a few years time
                and enjoy it again! (not very literate of me I know, but I just
                can't really sort out what it is I'm having trouble with. I can
                usually read anything and while maybe not totally enjoying it be able
                to finish a series without too much problem.)

                Hope you enjoy the Farseer books.
                --
                ************
                Jane Dean

                Sorry no time for work. BOOKS TO READ.
              • Sidharam Drevekenin
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 3, 2002
                  > My tastes must have changed, I still think its a great story but I'm
                  > not enjoying the writing style much. May be I'm not in the right mood
                  > or something, but I'm finding it very hard not to skip bits to just
                  > concentrate on the main story line. The bits with Frodo and Sam seem
                  > alright but I'm having problems with all the background stuff such
                  > and all the descriptive bits and I don't know........sort of most of
                  > it. Sorry to any fans. May be I'll read it again in a few years time
                  > and enjoy it again! (not very literate of me I know, but I just
                  > can't really sort out what it is I'm having trouble with. I can
                  > usually read anything and while maybe not totally enjoying it be able
                  > to finish a series without too much problem.)

                  I know how you feel. Tolkien is indeed one of my favourite (if not my
                  favourite) authors, yet at times I find it hard to read him. Someone
                  said a while ago on this list that they had to be in a certain 'mood' to
                  read Tolkien. I think that applies. He's a very descriptive author,
                  yes... and writes in a language more close to that of mythology than to
                  the modern language fantasy has taken in recent decades.

                  Yours, Sidharam.

                  --
                  "The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four people is
                  suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 4, 2002
                    am reading In the Garden of Iden by Kage at the mo, and really loking it..
                    and I know that Al read it recently, and aslo, shock horror, really liked it
                    Maire

                    Hard SF- Jan BOTM "Starfish" by Peter Watts
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hardsf

                    Original Fantasy- Jan BOTM "ANubis Gates" by Tim Powers
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/original_fantasy

                    Soft SF- Jan BOTM "Dispossessed" by Ursula le Guin
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/soft_sf

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 4, 2002
[...]

                      http://greetings.yahoo.com
                    • Tony Evans
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 5, 2002
                        Jane Dean wrote -

                        >Hope you enjoy the Farseer books.

                        The new one (Fools Errand?) is quiet entertaining, some nice bits for cat
                        lovers.

                        --
                        Tony Evans (ICQ : 170850)
                        GCv312 GCS d s+:++ a C+++ UAL++++$ P+ L++ E W(++) N+++(N--) w++$ R+ tv-- b++
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 5, 2002
                          My tastes have changed too, only opposite from the way your's have changed.
                          I read Lord of the Rings about for years ago and didn't really understand
                          it. Mind you, I was 14 then, so that may have something to do with it.
                          However, when I saw the movie for the first time (I have seen it three
                          times, so far, and I plan to go again! :) I decided that I needed to read
                          the book again. And what do you know, I get the collector's edition for
                          Christmas! (Which was good, because my sister had my old paperback copies;
                          who knows where those are!) So I have been rereading it, and I am absolutely
                          loving it! I don't know if it is because the movie helped me to visualize
                          some of the more complicated scenes or what, but Tolkien has rapidly risen
                          to be one of my favorite authors.

                          -Betsy

                          >My tastes must have changed, I still think its a great story but I'm
                          >not enjoying the writing style much. May be I'm not in the right mood
                          >or something, but I'm finding it very hard not to skip bits to just
                          >concentrate on the main story line. The bits with Frodo and Sam seem
                          >alright but I'm having problems with all the background stuff such
                          >and all the descriptive bits and I don't know........sort of most of
                          >it. Sorry to any fans. May be I'll read it again in a few years time
                          >and enjoy it again! (not very literate of me I know, but I just
                          >can't really sort out what it is I'm having trouble with. I can
                          >usually read anything and while maybe not totally enjoying it be able
                          >to finish a series without too much problem.)
                          >

                          >Hope you enjoy the Farseer books.
                          >--
                          >************
                          >Jane Dean
                          >
                          >Sorry no time for work. BOOKS TO READ.

                        • Tony Harris
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 5, 2002
                            Well as most know I haven't read Tolkien and hven't planned to. I went to
                            see the movie with Maire on Friday and despite Maire hogging the armrest I
                            enjoyed the movie.

                            I thought it was probably a little bit too long but not bad. It hasn't
                            inspired me to read the books though in any way or form though. I figure
                            that they cut over half of the boring bits and there were still certain
                            parts that did bore me in the movie.

                            If the books are gonna be more boring then I won't bother with them.

                            I have just started Lady of Sorrows which is the follow up to The Ill-Made
                            Mute and finished Lord of the Emporers. The last half of the book was
                            really enjoyable and finished the 2 books off well.

                            Kodo

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 6, 2002
                              I went to see it with Kodo- and let me assure you, not only did he hog the
                              armrest- he hogged the leg space too! I ended up having to drape my legs
                              and arms in the area of the empty seat next to me, or practically perch on
                              the dividing wall in front of us.
                              I could tell that Kodo was finding it too long and boring towards the end-
                              either that or a bladder infection anyway, judging by the amount of
                              squirming going on.
                              However I thoroughly enjoyed every moment. I cant wait for the next ones.
                              Largely this is, of cuorse, because there are so few good fantasy movies...
                              and its very hard for me to separate out the visual splendour from enjoyment
                              of the actual plot etc. But I will say I liked it far far more than Harry
                              Potter

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor