RE: [Fantasy_Books] Traci Harding

  • Maire
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 24, 2001
      Ah
      Arianwen... I am interested to hear you say that. I bought several of the
      books in her celestial triad, because hte books sounded great. I am an
      Aussie, so that was another bonus. However.. this was another of the rare
      occasions when I was simply unabel to finish because I found the book
      agonisingly silly.
      Im sorry! Just MHO, of course.

      I dont know if you have read any history of that period. Perhaps that was
      partially my prob. But I afraid I found it rather hard to accept that
      Richard the Lionheart (I think it was him) would accept a leather-jacketed
      female black belt. turning up in the middle of nowehere, etc etc. This
      seemed to me, to be an absolutely sterling example, of a writer writing
      about antoher culture or time period, but instead of reflecting the
      cultural differences in the characters, just using modern day characters,
      and dressing them up in armour and corsetry.

      I am disappointed that this was my reaction to an Aussie female author. I
      intend to give the book another try sometimes. But truthfully, I found it
      pretty dire.
      If you want good Aussie fantasy, try Cecilia Dart-thorton's Ill-Made Mute,
      which is brilliant, Sara Douglass, Isobelle Carmody.
      If you like the style of Harding, you might like Isobelle Carmody, she has a
      similar YA type style. I really like her books.
      Maire

      Hard SF- December disc. "Integral Trees" by Larry Niven
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hardsf

      Original Fantasy- Jan BOTM "ANubis Gates" by Tim Powers
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/original_fantasy

      Soft SF- Jan BOTM "Dispossessed" by Ursula le Guin
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/soft_sf

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 24, 2001
        Are you there arianwen? I hope that you arent miffed abou the Harding
        thing...
        Tell me- do you understand where I am coming from with my onjections? Or
        did you not notice those things at all? I mean.. was it that you saw the
        probs I had, but other things made up fo it so it didnt matter, or did you
        not have those probs at all? What did you like about the books? I know you
        said story-line...

        I think I really like the... contemporary person falls into a magical
        otherworld type premise. Not sure why... Perhaps its the juxtaposition of
        hte two worlds.. the modern world and the fantasy world. something about it
        seems refreshing to me.
        Maybe, like Tony said.. it has to do with empathy? Like, I can empathise
        with a character coming from my world, into a fantasy world? (not that I
        have done that, personally <g>) Maybe, in some bizarre way.. it seems more
        real? or.. more... attainable? I dont know....

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 25, 2001
            Hi Arianwen.
            If you like time travel, in that kind of thing.. maybe you could give
            Michael Crichton's Timeline a whirl sometime.... its about a group of
            historians going back to 13 C France... (ie, the kind of society that most
            fantasy books use as a pattern) its pretty good reading. Have you read
            Sara Douglass? Her latest series is time travel, but havent read it so cant
            say whether or not it might be something you would like IMO.
            YOU know.. have you read any Charles de Lint? He has written a lot of
            urban fantasy- most usally with a female protaginst very similar to the
            Tracoi harding book. You culd try the Jack of Kinrowan books Its
            basically about a modern kind of gal who is into music etc etc falling into
            a faerie underworld, in Canada.
            What other stuff have you read/do you like?

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 25, 2001
              Hi Maire,

              Not miffed at all!... how could i be mad at a fellow Aussie,lol;)

              I understand what you mean about the whole historical incorrectness.
              I am not overly familiar with the period myself (just the basics) so
              perhaps that is why i found the story more likeable... i know there
              can be nothing more annoying than reading about a time in history
              that you know well and the author being a bit to unrealistic. From
              my knowledge of the Dark Ages, someone wearing a leather jacket would
              certainly not been well received, quite the reverse i expect. When i
              read your comments i looked at the book oblectively and have to agree
              with you that all the 'past' characters seemed more 20th century than
              members of the Dark Ages... i still love the books tho,lol.

              I too liked the modern meets ancient scenario. I had never read a
              fantasy like this before and i suppose that is what pulled me in. I
              think i must be a closet sci-fi fan cos there is something about time
              travel that facinates me. I also enjoy lost civilisation stories too
              so the whole Atlantis part was just to my liking.

              I liked that i understood the main character more as they came form
              my 'world' and the fact they were female enhanced that even more. I
              enjoyed the author's interpretation of gods and goddess being more
              human than you would expect too.

              Hmmm... have i left anything out,lol;). I have read Isobelle Carmody
              too and loved her book The Gathering as opposed to her series (can't
              remember the name). Have you read any Kate Forsyth? Her books
              aren't too bad but if you aren't into mainstream-type fantasy than i
              don't recommend them:)

              Thanks for you thoughts:)
              Arianwen

              --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., "Maire" <mairen@b...> wrote:
              > Are you there arianwen? I hope that you arent miffed abou the
              Harding
              > thing...
              > Tell me- do you understand where I am coming from with my
              onjections? Or
            • Ken Ogilvy
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 25, 2001
                Do you have the names of all the books?

                --- arianwen4 <arianwen_@...> wrote:
                > Hi Everyone,
                >
                > I am interested in hearing everyones opinion on
                > Traci Harding. I
                > think her books are great. The storyline is quite
                > unique and the
                > fact that she is an Aussie fantasy author is rare
                > too,lol.
                >
                > If you haven't read any Harding the series titles
                > are The Ancient
                > Future Trilogy and the Celestial Triad... in that
                > order:)
                >
                > TTFN
                > Arianwen

                http://greetings.yahoo.com
              • arianwen4
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 26, 2001
                  Hey Maire,

                  What other books do i like..hmmm where do i start?:)

                  Have to admit i'm a bit of a 'doorstop' fantasy fan, ie Eddings &
                  Goodkind. I like a bit of a saga so i am a huge Katharine Kerr fan.

                  I also love Melanie Rawn's Exlies series, although there are only two
                  books in the series so far (that i know of). They are quite
                  interesting with male/female role reversals and and interesting take
                  on magic that i haven't come across before.

                  Robin Hobb is another author i like, though i prefer The Liveship
                  Traders series to the Farseers. Barry Hughart is another of my
                  favourite authors but he is not well known. His books are set in
                  ancient China (roughly) and are like fantasy meets mystery meets
                  comedy meets adventure. Just a really clever read IMO;) On the
                  theme of humor i also love Terry Pratchett.

                  A few quickies... Elizabeth Moon, Ursula Le Guin, Anne Bishop, Kate
                  Korsyth and Marion Zimmer Bradley, Susan Cooper, Tamora Pierce and
                  J.K Rowling. I love ancient Egypt too so i really like Wilbur
                  Smith's The Seventh Scroll and his other books relating to that one
                  as well.

                  I wish i had more time to read more than just my usual reads. There
                  always seems to be a 'next in the series' out that i want to buy so i
                  don't often have the time to try new things. I would be interested
                  in knowing what some of your favourites are too:)

                  TTFN
                  Arianwen
                • arianwen4
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 26, 2001
                    Hi Ken,

                    These are the titles for Traci Hardings books:) Both Trilogies
                    feature the same characters, The Ancient Future being the begining.

                    The Ancient Future Trilogy -
                    #1 The Ancient Future: The Dark Age
                    #2 An Echo In Time: Atlantis
                    #3 Masters of Reality: The Gathering

                    The Celestial Triad -
                    #1 Chronical of Ages
                    #2 Tablet of Destinies
                    #3 The Cosmic Logos (Due March/April 2002)

                    Happy reading;)
                    Arianwen
                  • Ken Ogilvy
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 27, 2001
                      Thanks
                      --- arianwen4 <arianwen_@...> wrote:
                      > Hi Ken,
                      >
                      > These are the titles for Traci Hardings books:)
                      > Both Trilogies
                      > feature the same characters, The Ancient Future
                      > being the begining.
                      >
                      > The Ancient Future Trilogy -
                      > #1 The Ancient Future: The Dark Age
                      > #2 An Echo In Time: Atlantis
                      > #3 Masters of Reality: The Gathering
                      >
                      > The Celestial Triad -
                      > #1 Chronical of Ages
                      > #2 Tablet of Destinies
                      > #3 The Cosmic Logos (Due March/April 2002)
                      >
                      > Happy reading;)
                      > Arianwen

                      http://greetings.yahoo.com
                    • ~*Arianwen*~
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 7, 2003
                        Just wondering if there are any others here that are Traci Harding
                        fans? I have read all her books and think she is a fantastic author
                        and wanted to hear others opinions of her work.

                        Arianwen
                      • Amy Harlib
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 8, 2003
                          aharlib@...

                          I have 3 of her books which I have not yet read. Please tell us why you
                          think she is fantastic. The books do sound interesting!
                          Amy in NYC

                          > Just wondering if there are any others here that are Traci Harding
                          > fans? I have read all her books and think she is a fantastic author
                          > and wanted to hear others opinions of her work.
                          >
                          > Arianwen

                        • ~*Arianwen*~
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 9, 2003
                            I like Traci's books because they are very character driven. I love
                            that i get sucked into the world so easily and feel like i am Tory
                            (the main character). I also enjoy time travel and the eras her
                            books are set in. The second series went into the spiritual side of
                            things but if you're interested in esoteric stuff then i really
                            recommend it. The first trilogy is great for time travel and
                            adventure lovers, as well as a little romance. It also has some fun
                            with the Talesin (Merlin) myth as well and as i have an interest in
                            Arthurian legend i thought it was great.

                            I also liked a strong female lead character. It isn't often that you
                            have one in popular fantasy and Tory is great. She can look after
                            herself, she is funny, smart and doesn't need a man to rescue her all
                            the time. I know i am sounding all feminist but as a female myself i
                            find it great to read from a prospective i can relate to, especially
                            in a fantasy work. An author that finally mentions the need for
                            women's hygiene products when a modern female is stuck in the Dark
                            Ages is most unusual and one thing i had always wondered about...
                            Sorry if i have gone too girly on you all;).

                            These books are really well researched and i know i am going to sound
                            like i'm bragging but i get to talk to Traci online at her site and
                            she is just like her main character which is unreal! Being able to
                            talk to one of my favourite authours is amazing, not to mention being
                            able to get updates on books as they are written.

                            I guess i just love the way the book is written like you are sharing
                            a story with a friend that you know so well you can just imagine what
                            they did and why they reacted in certain ways etc, which to me is
                            always a major factor in my enjoyment of any book i read.

                            Ok, i think that's it:)
                            Arianwen
                          • luminator01
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 22, 2003
                              --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "~*Arianwen*~"
                              <arianwen_@h...> wrote:
                              > Just wondering if there are any others here that are Traci Harding
                              > fans? I have read all her books and think she is a fantastic
                              author
                              > and wanted to hear others opinions of her work.
                              >
                              > Arianwen

                              lol, this is luminator
                            • ~*Arianwen*~
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 27, 2003
                                --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "luminator01"
                                <luminat_01_@h...> wrote:

                                > lol, this is luminator

                                Hey luminator:)

                                Are you on THC too?

                                Arianwen
                              • luminator01
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 27, 2003
                                  wrote:
                                  > --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "luminator01"
                                  > <luminat_01_@h...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > lol, this is luminator
                                  >
                                  > Hey luminator:)
                                  >
                                  > Are you on THC too?
                                  >
                                  > Arianwen

                                  Yes, Im on THC, and trazling thats how i recognised ur name. how many
                                  other THC members r in here?

                                  Luminator